Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Handmade Travel Accessories Book House Cleaning themissing themissing themissing  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now STEM

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$12.99

Showing 1-10 of 68 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 211 reviews
on December 13, 2013
I've read two of Lamott's other books of non-fiction and absolutely loved them. So this one was a big disappointment. The constant political commentary was tiring and really annoying. It came across as bitter and borderline fanatical. The thing I've always loved about Lamott essays is her willingness to be completely vulnerable. "Plan B" was, instead, a huge rant. Really disappointing.
on August 25, 2016
Anne Lamott has a true gift for saying profound things in profoundly simple ways. Her less is more style leaves me nodding strenuously in amazement and agreement while I wipe away tears of sad/joyful recognition (often over the same thing). I am a minister and quote her often because in expressing her relationship with God she gives voice and courage to others to be unashamed and bold in their faith.
on May 29, 2015
Sort of the Meditations of Anne Aurelius. Anne Lamott might be somewhat of an acquired taste, but this 68-yr-old male finds her observations and insights nearly always have that ring of truth thing and anyone who doesn't laugh out loud occasionally at her (sometimes cynical) wit just lacks a normal sense of humor.
on September 4, 2016
I used this as a morning devotional. I am often left unfulfilled by mass appeal bullet point Christianity books. This book is refreshing in its humanity. It's stories of real, broken and amazing people helped me see the broken and amazing people in my own life.
on April 28, 2016
Lamott's faith is not the same as mine but it is a refreshing, mostly contemporary version of Christianity that warms the heart, touches one's soul, brings lots of laughter to the subject and sometimes tears of grace. I enjoyed it a lot.
on September 6, 2012
I have read and reread Ann Lamott's book Traveling Mercies. I fell in love with the beautiful black women who helped her through her pregnancy. And their great capacity for love. Enjoyed her journey to God, it brought to mind how many of us take the circular route with many detours before we really receive God in our hearts. This book, however, was a great disappointment. Not many thoughts on Faith, a lot of thoughts about how much she hated George Bush, how depressed she and her friends were because if the Bush administration. If I want to read a book about politics I will buy a book about politics. I feel cheated.
She already wrote why she makes Sam go to church. For some reason, probably not the authors fault, I cannot seem to see Sam as a real breathing person.
I couldn't finish reading the book. I found it repetitious and boring, so much so I doubt that I want to read her latest book. I will probably try though hoping it will be more to my personal liking.
on August 31, 2016
This is classic Anne Lamott. You will laugh and you will cry and your heart will be a little more open when you finish.
on February 27, 2013
I totally love every book I have read by Anne Lamont. She is opens her life and her soul to the reader and leaves you feeling like she is a real friend. She is spiritual and honest and funny all at the same time. This was the fourth book of hers that I read and I will continue looking for her reads. When I have read all of them I will hope to find that she has written a new one.
on June 12, 2016
So insightful and written from a place of honesty, imperfection and hope! I'll be reading more of her work! Excellent!
on June 16, 2013
Lamott is in your face, but in a kind, understanding way. Her thoughts on faith, friendship, human weakness,and stumbling through and making it are the real deal. And, they are hilarious! I find myself laughing out loud throughout her books; this one is especially funny. I always want more when the book ends.