Truck Season Automotive Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now TG18PP_gno

on August 7, 2017
Why 4 star, well, hope Amazon representative will read the Why!

I have roku tv's (3 of them) so is very comfortable to have a digital version and not only the bluray (that I have to play on the main TV), but au contraire of the blu ray version the amazon HD video only come in English.
My family is multilingual, me, Spanish speaker, wife, German Speaker, and we live in the US, so, our 4 children speak the 3 languages (since each of us speak with them in our mother language) , when watch the blu ray version they ask for some of the 3 languages regarding ...., they mood?..don't know really what make them today watch it in Spanish and tomorrow in English or German but the important is that they brain work in that way.
With amazon hd video version that part of the entertainment/brain exercise is lost , very, very very unfortunate.
Of course that happen with all the video content, hope they will fix that someday.....

The movie itself of course they love it, and is a 5 star in that way.
Sorry if you will complain about that the rating it must be about the movie itself and not about the amazon choice to cast it only in one language but ...well, perdon for that.
on December 1, 2013
Though in many ways this had a similar story line to the first Cars movie (rookie desires to win the big race), it still feels fresh. Dusty Crophopper desires to be more than what his original purpose was. He wishes to enter an around-the-world race that usually is reserved for planes that are built for racing. When he manages to make the cut, he has to deal with the prejudices of being a "farm boy." Aside from the challenges he faces from the difficult race and his fear of heights (imagine a plane afraid of heights), he also has to put up with the dirty trickery from other racers who don't play fair. However, he has old and new friends helping him out: the grounded Skipper (a war hero who suffers post traumatic stress), Dusty's best friend Chug (forgetful and big-mouthed), the nerdy girl whose name I've forgotten but is just as endearing, and the Spanish plane whose name I've also forgotten. The characters are memorable...the names aren't.

In many ways, I like this story better than Cars. It is more exciting and adventurous, since it shows the various obstacles Dusty has to face traveling around the world. Dusty is a much more likable character than Lightening McQueen was. The film actually promotes many good morals: doing it anyway despite what anyone tells you and no matter how great the odds, always be a good guy (it does pay in the end), among others.
3 people found this helpful
on December 2, 2013
"The world of 'Cars' takes flight in 'Planes'", proclaims the blurb on the cover of Disney's new Pixar-like animated feature. We could only wish. Pixar produced films with superior technical qualities, but was best known for finely crafted stories that appealed to young and old alike. Planes displays great computer animation, but has a hit-and-miss story that appeals to children while leaving adults largely out of the fun.

The story revolves around Dusty, a crop dusting plane who wants to be an air racer, and he gets his chance to compete in a round-the-world race against champions from many nations. This allows for not only slightly exotic character development, but for great displays of scenery as well. The settings are familiar from Cars, (a rural backwater community, inhabited by rubes and relics), as are the sidekicks (numerous small forklifts as workers, a not-so-bright truck as a friend, and an experienced old timer as a mentor). There is one sly reference to the tractor-tipping scene in Cars, as Dusty the crop duster is sightseeing in India. He comments on the many tractors wandering the landscape below, and his Indian companion says "they are sacred in our country".

Although lacking the subtlety and storyline depth of Pixar's best, the three and four year-olds I watched this film with thought it was fascinating. It was colorful, fast moving, and flew literally around the world with plenty of moments of beauty and peril that kept the kids on the edge of their seats. So for the small ones in your life I rate this one four out of five. Try it, you might like it, and your kids certainly will.
on February 5, 2014
This was decided as my gift for my son's family and 5-year old son. We spent Christmas together and the adults were just as excited as the child, to complete the day's dinner and celebrations, so we could reach the evening hour, to gather in front of the big screen at home, and watch this 3-D movie together. It amazes me that those who craft these movies think of both children and the adult audience. There were so many hilarious lines which parents and adults think of as "code" past the age of 30, and especially having raised a family. Some of the time we were howling with laughter so loud, we had to hit "pause" and my grandson was trying to figure out the joke. But he loved it, too. He will be collecting the little plane character models, and received one for Christmas. It was the perfect family entertainment for our day.
2 people found this helpful
on October 1, 2017
This never gets old. I volunteer in an aviation museum and had a 3-4 year old came up and called the Corsair skipper. I had no idea what he
was talking about. His Dad told me and I felt like an idiot. I bought the DVD to get with the times.
Now considered a resource item.
Wonderful!
on January 25, 2014
To clarify, my first Blu-Ray Disc--purchased all the equipment--Sony 5.1 Surround Sound, totally HDMI/Optical Cable support w/55 inch Sony HD 1080p
3D receiver and BD Player. Can also plug my iPhone into the receiver to enable its functions. So...Today was the test! Never have I seen or heard such faultless Video and Audio! Had to keep reminding myself that this is a cartoon! Based on the Cars DVD's just elevated! But equally well done! The detail is incredible and sound is superb. Invest the $ in a good AV System before purchasing a BD, but don't let that stop you from getting the DVD! Good family fun! Thanks again Amazon!
3 people found this helpful
on December 26, 2013
We bought this for our nephew for Christmas & we did our internet shopping after we did our store shopping. This way we could order what we couldn't find in the store & this also allowed us to shop for items that we knew were cheaper on Amazon. I ordered this, expecting it to arrive the 23rd. We had family over that day & I knew the gift was arriving that day but they actually left before the gift got here. They arrived for celebrations around 2pm & eventually left at just after 9pm since they had a long drive home. I was horrified & embarrassed since I kept looking up the tracking number & it didn't say anything past the 'on truck since about 5am that day'. The package came around 10pm, I think it may have been after but I was in bed when they delivered. I felt bad for my nephew & I felt bad for the driver (he looked exhausted). Now I have to pay to get it to my nephew & I don't want to deal with going to the post office, which is why I ordered it the way I did!!! So the product gets 5 stars, but everything else would be a half star. Bah Humbug!
on January 9, 2014
honestly i really liked this one. i am a mother of 2, a 5 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. my girl loved the movie til she fell asleep, my son sat up and watched the whole thing. this movie along with cars so far are the only 2 he has actually fallen in love with. i as a mother thought it was super cute (with some adult humor for us parents, and references to things i know i laughed at). i liked all the planes, and i appreciated that they didnt just change the whole world over to 'planes' that you could still see cars, and things. **i was hoping to see a mater or lightening mcqueen somewhere amungst the movie ;)
the voice of the friend truck is the actor from everybody loves raymond (brad garrett) and he was super cute and funny.
i also really liked that they took you around the world, that was quite fun.

pros
fun
gets you on the edge of your seat
fun for children
animation was easy to understand

cons
storyline was lackluster

but honestly, from a disney movie how crazy does a story really need to be?

i loved it, and have watched it 2x now. i would say if your child loved cars and cars 2 and is tired of princesses (which my son is) this is refreashing and classic.
on April 19, 2017
My 2-year-old so downloaded this tow his kids Kindle without asking first! We now have parental locks set in place, initially, he did not care about the item, however now he loves to watch he airplanes talk and fly! So even though my little stinker never should have purchases this product without asking, he now owns a pretty sweet movie!
on April 11, 2014
****************************************************
I'll try to review without giving away spoilers. It's pretty hard to do that, but I'll try. There are no details, still, don't blame me if this ruins your movie experience though.
****************************************************
I liked Cars and my son (now 3.5) and I have watched Cars for truly countless number of times. But Cars2 took a violent dark turn and we had to put that away so the impressionable mind of a 3 yr old did not have to see all the "killing" and shooting etc. I thought Planes would be like Cars. Nope! It's more like Cars2. It is a great story–if you can discern that it's just a story, that too animated. For my son, it's all too real and he gets scared at some of the parts, and some of the other parts are a tad too violent (shooting, slicing!! I mean come on, really!) and could easily influence a little boy to think those actions/behaviors are okay and acceptable.
I have the 3D version and it's great. I like 3D. It's a fantastic movie–for me! May be when my son will like it when he is older.
2 people found this helpful