Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop now TG18SW_gno

on August 7, 2017
Why 4 star, well, hope Amazon representative will read the Why!

I have roku tv's (3 of them) so is very comfortable to have a digital version and not only the bluray (that I have to play on the main TV), but au contraire of the blu ray version the amazon HD video only come in English.
My family is multilingual, me, Spanish speaker, wife, German Speaker, and we live in the US, so, our 4 children speak the 3 languages (since each of us speak with them in our mother language) , when watch the blu ray version they ask for some of the 3 languages regarding ...., they mood?..don't know really what make them today watch it in Spanish and tomorrow in English or German but the important is that they brain work in that way.
With amazon hd video version that part of the entertainment/brain exercise is lost , very, very very unfortunate.
Of course that happen with all the video content, hope they will fix that someday.....

The movie itself of course they love it, and is a 5 star in that way.
Sorry if you will complain about that the rating it must be about the movie itself and not about the amazon choice to cast it only in one language but ...well, perdon for that.
on December 1, 2013
Though in many ways this had a similar story line to the first Cars movie (rookie desires to win the big race), it still feels fresh. Dusty Crophopper desires to be more than what his original purpose was. He wishes to enter an around-the-world race that usually is reserved for planes that are built for racing. When he manages to make the cut, he has to deal with the prejudices of being a "farm boy." Aside from the challenges he faces from the difficult race and his fear of heights (imagine a plane afraid of heights), he also has to put up with the dirty trickery from other racers who don't play fair. However, he has old and new friends helping him out: the grounded Skipper (a war hero who suffers post traumatic stress), Dusty's best friend Chug (forgetful and big-mouthed), the nerdy girl whose name I've forgotten but is just as endearing, and the Spanish plane whose name I've also forgotten. The characters are memorable...the names aren't.

In many ways, I like this story better than Cars. It is more exciting and adventurous, since it shows the various obstacles Dusty has to face traveling around the world. Dusty is a much more likable character than Lightening McQueen was. The film actually promotes many good morals: doing it anyway despite what anyone tells you and no matter how great the odds, always be a good guy (it does pay in the end), among others.
on August 4, 2014
My toddler son (and both his parents) really enjoy the Cars movie. We had high expectations for Planes, but I have to say it was a mostly disappointing experience. It may not be fair to compare it to Cars, but it's almost impossible not to.

The storyline is fairly entertaining but where this movie really falls short of Cars is the characters. The main character, Dusty Crophopper, is a far cry from Lightning McQueen. He's kind of bland and not very entertaining or comical. The supporting characters just aren't as well written or as memorable as the Cars supporting cast. The best character in the movie is El Chupacabra. He brings some much needed comic relief to the movie. Honestly I wish he had been a larger part of the movie. Even with El Chupacabra, there's still no one that really compares to characters like Lightning McQueen and Mater.

By the time the movie was over, my main thought was "Meh, it was just ok." I think my son shared the sentiment because he wasn't really into the movie and hasn't asked to watch it again (like he has with Cars). So unfair or not, the comparison has to be made, and this movie is a far cry from the richly entertaining experience of Cars.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 2, 2013
"The world of 'Cars' takes flight in 'Planes'", proclaims the blurb on the cover of Disney's new Pixar-like animated feature. We could only wish. Pixar produced films with superior technical qualities, but was best known for finely crafted stories that appealed to young and old alike. Planes displays great computer animation, but has a hit-and-miss story that appeals to children while leaving adults largely out of the fun.

The story revolves around Dusty, a crop dusting plane who wants to be an air racer, and he gets his chance to compete in a round-the-world race against champions from many nations. This allows for not only slightly exotic character development, but for great displays of scenery as well. The settings are familiar from Cars, (a rural backwater community, inhabited by rubes and relics), as are the sidekicks (numerous small forklifts as workers, a not-so-bright truck as a friend, and an experienced old timer as a mentor). There is one sly reference to the tractor-tipping scene in Cars, as Dusty the crop duster is sightseeing in India. He comments on the many tractors wandering the landscape below, and his Indian companion says "they are sacred in our country".

Although lacking the subtlety and storyline depth of Pixar's best, the three and four year-olds I watched this film with thought it was fascinating. It was colorful, fast moving, and flew literally around the world with plenty of moments of beauty and peril that kept the kids on the edge of their seats. So for the small ones in your life I rate this one four out of five. Try it, you might like it, and your kids certainly will.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 5, 2014
This was decided as my gift for my son's family and 5-year old son. We spent Christmas together and the adults were just as excited as the child, to complete the day's dinner and celebrations, so we could reach the evening hour, to gather in front of the big screen at home, and watch this 3-D movie together. It amazes me that those who craft these movies think of both children and the adult audience. There were so many hilarious lines which parents and adults think of as "code" past the age of 30, and especially having raised a family. Some of the time we were howling with laughter so loud, we had to hit "pause" and my grandson was trying to figure out the joke. But he loved it, too. He will be collecting the little plane character models, and received one for Christmas. It was the perfect family entertainment for our day.
on October 1, 2017
This never gets old. I volunteer in an aviation museum and had a 3-4 year old came up and called the Corsair skipper. I had no idea what he
was talking about. His Dad told me and I felt like an idiot. I bought the DVD to get with the times.
Now considered a resource item.
on January 25, 2014
To clarify, my first Blu-Ray Disc--purchased all the equipment--Sony 5.1 Surround Sound, totally HDMI/Optical Cable support w/55 inch Sony HD 1080p
3D receiver and BD Player. Can also plug my iPhone into the receiver to enable its functions. So...Today was the test! Never have I seen or heard such faultless Video and Audio! Had to keep reminding myself that this is a cartoon! Based on the Cars DVD's just elevated! But equally well done! The detail is incredible and sound is superb. Invest the $ in a good AV System before purchasing a BD, but don't let that stop you from getting the DVD! Good family fun! Thanks again Amazon!
on December 23, 2013
If you love planes and have a sense of humor, you will love this animated film. You don't even have to have children.

You will see sight gags on some of the world's great planes: The GeeBee racer, a Rutan, the F4U Corsair, the F-18s, and the little low-wing hero of the film. There are anthropomorphic tow carts and forklifts that round out the cast.

Yes, this might be a take on (as another reviewer noted) the "little engine that could," but sit back and just enjoy the animation and the characters.

This is not Palme d'Or stuff for Cannes. It's just an amazing and creative little film that will make you smile and laugh.
on May 12, 2014
I don't want to even think about how many times I have seen this movie, BUT the good news is that I still enjoy watching it and so does my son (now 3 years old). Just like many "kid's" animated movies these days, there is humor present for adults too. Besides that, the animation, voice-acting and story are top notch (as expected).

My son seems to get genuinely interested in the story and the characters' various emotions as they go through different challenges. That's nice to see. It isn't just pretty colors and moving objects...

Well worth buying and very enjoyable.
on December 26, 2013
We bought this for our nephew for Christmas & we did our internet shopping after we did our store shopping. This way we could order what we couldn't find in the store & this also allowed us to shop for items that we knew were cheaper on Amazon. I ordered this, expecting it to arrive the 23rd. We had family over that day & I knew the gift was arriving that day but they actually left before the gift got here. They arrived for celebrations around 2pm & eventually left at just after 9pm since they had a long drive home. I was horrified & embarrassed since I kept looking up the tracking number & it didn't say anything past the 'on truck since about 5am that day'. The package came around 10pm, I think it may have been after but I was in bed when they delivered. I felt bad for my nephew & I felt bad for the driver (he looked exhausted). Now I have to pay to get it to my nephew & I don't want to deal with going to the post office, which is why I ordered it the way I did!!! So the product gets 5 stars, but everything else would be a half star. Bah Humbug!