Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by The Lone Bellow PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 76 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 99 reviews
on January 10, 2013
It does not read like a cook book/recipe book, It has a LOT of side stories, extra info, all interesting but it makes it hard to navigate through this book if you just want to grill something.
Also this book is nearly 600 pages and 300 recipes, I would expect AT LEAST one photo of each finished dish (ideally in process pics as well) a lot of recipes don't have a single photo so you'll have no clue how the end product is suppose to look, I would not be a problem for ribs or burgers but this book has a lot of Asian or African food and I can't simply imagine how it suppose to look. Plus the recipes without photos are not appealing - they don't have the "wow- that looks Delicious! I'll should cook that for the party" factor. Surprisingly it has maps to let you know that this recipe is from the north east of Uzbekistan and not south west.

Pros
+ details, side stories, cooks biographies (multiple) cultural information
+ recipes are great, if they list a rare spice the author provides a mail to order source and alternative spices
+ hard cover with overlay, large format, good quality
+ style is great,the author is often funny, when you read the book - you can almost hear his voice
+ author list alternative ingredients, alternative methods

Cons
- hard to navigate, both, whole book layout and individual page layout is cramped, making it hard to find the recipe you need, after you find it its often hard to find the detail on the recipe you need
- no photos- book has cook photos, city photos, maps, it should have at least one recipe related photo per recipe, it doesn't

I am happy with this product and wood recommend it, however it is not perfect!
on May 25, 2010
...that stands out in a sea of similar books? This book has the authenticity, excitement, and carefully selected writing and pictures that get people fired up about grilling/cooking in a way that sets it apart, almost magically from other similar titles. Having visited some of the countries contained herein, I am drawn in as he "pulls off the covers" of methods for making international favorites. I think it's also his concern for showmanship, like a magician, in jazzing up the reader's cooking that takes some of his books to other levels. If you liked the original Barbecue Bible, or his masterful How to Grill (with all the color pictures), you will not be disappointed. When the Barbecue Bible was re-released with the promise of being illustrated with pictures I was excited because I had learned a lot from the original version; the amount of recipes pictured was disappointing. This has a better balance of pictures, though it would be even better with more pictures (ideally one for each recipe, even if the picture is small) Some people may complain about certain ingredients or too many recipes, but for many people this will be entertaining and informative even if they don't make most of the recipes.
on April 21, 2011
The first thing I do when I buy a new book is to simply flip through all the pages and if something catches my interest, I'll give it a quick read before I read the entire book. Well, when I started doing this with `Planet Barbecue' I got 4 ideas for grilling and then realized I was not even half way through the first chapter. When I actually sat and read this somewhat large tome, I realized what a fascinating and important form of cooking that grilling / smoking / barbecue was. Steve made me want to try beef heart. He made me want to put an egg on top of my steak. He made me wonder what the heck banana ketchup was. He even made me appreciate the food of my great grandparents' homeland (Serbia) which I often considered to be a bit bland. If you think Serbian recipes are weird, wait until you get to Burkina Faso recipes. I admit that I occasionally watch this guy on TV and I don't find him to be particularly thrilling. However, he is a great writer who makes cooking fun without feeling the need to dumb things down for those lacking cooking skills. I even got this thing used for like $8. If he has more books out there, I'm buying them!
on May 8, 2017
Very nice, detailed cookbook. Lots of recipes that anyone can use! Great for the novice beginner an makes you an expert on the grill. Thanx!!!
on July 29, 2017
Nice book. The author toured numerous countries all over the world and wrote concise recipes with background info. and pictures.
on November 23, 2016
I should have spent a little more time researching this book. I actually gave it away because it was not the right fit for me. I am new to BBQ and this book was a bit overwhelming. Love Steven Raichlen, so I will just have to find a better suited book for me.
on September 3, 2016
This is a great book with a lot of good recipes. It was delivered quickly. I would buy from this seller again.
on February 22, 2011
This is without a doubt the best BBQ cook book I have ever read. I am Australian and although many Australians have gone to gas BBQs over the last 20 to 30 years, I am a charcoal / wood fired man through and through.

While the book caters extensively for gas charcoal and wood fired BBQs, those wanting the true BBQ experience of using wood or charcoal will find this book an excellent read.

The book not only provides a fantastic selection of recipes full of flavour it provides basic information of the culture behind the recipes without being too wordy.

It would be great to see this book promoted more in Australia and a return to live fire grilling; personally I don't rate gas bbqs as live fire cooking.

For me it deserves five stars and I am looking for something similar on wood fired ovens, also known as pizza or Mediterranean ovens.
on November 18, 2010
I think I own all books that Steven Raichlen has published. This one is fantastic too. I love the personal stories he tells when obtaining recipes etc .. For example the Jerk recipe he obtained from Boston Jerk in Jamaica is awesome and the story was fantastic. I have made the Jerk many time and have served it to my Jamaican friends and they are amazed that I can serve them something that is as close to the real Boston Jerk chicken. I also made couple of other dishes from this book and served it at our block party and each and every one was a super hit. Highly recommend this book to people who love to grill. You will love the variety of recipes in this book.
on April 17, 2011
This, my friends, is the best barbecue cookbook I've ever used. If you have an interest in cooking over live fire and trying variations from around the world, I highly recommend it.

From grilled chocolate sandwiches to salt-packed tenderloin cooked right in the coals, these recipes will wow your friends and taste excellent. The recipes are clearly written and suggest alternate ingredients for items that are hard to find. I intend to cook my way through most of this book over the summer.

If you only have a gas grill, you can attempt these but the results won't match the descriptions. It's intended for those who cook with charcoal (and natural hardwood charcoal at that).