Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

Showing 1-10 of 574 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,677 reviews
on July 28, 2016
20th century fox have reissued the original charlton Heston classic on blu-ray again
the HD transfer & 5.1 master mix plus all the special features i mean hours & hours worth of extras
all the commnatry tracks & the Documentaries & featurettes
have been carried over to this new 2014 reissue so this new reissue has the exact same content as the old 2008 blu-ray
the HD transfer is the same as the 2008 transfer so the only difference is the sleeve artwork
so whether you buy this new 2014 reissue or just keep the old 2008 blu-ray
makes no difference at all both versions have the same content
i personally prefer the old 2008 sleeve artwork than this new 2014 artwork
so i'll be keeping my 2008 blu-ray version, but it's personal preference really
5 stars for both 2014 & 2008 blu-ray versions
on December 24, 2016
Definitely a genre defining movie...almost fifty years old, and still holds up well...makeup was breath-taking in its time, but looks just a little off by today's standards. What makes this such a great movie is the acting, the script, and the directing...the action sequences use actual stunt men (imagine that!?), and are tightly directed and edited...script by Rod Serling...how can you miss with talent like that? Charlton Heston throws himself into the role of Taylor with all the zeal one could muster, from the iconic "Take your damn dirty paws off me you filthy stinking ape" to the oft parodied "Damn you all to hell" finish (most frequently referenced by Dr Krieger in Archer)...top to bottom a first rate effort...man, they don't make movies like this anymore...
on February 8, 2016
I must admit the last time I saw this movie was in the auditorium of Sierra College in 1970. They showed it to the student body as they thought it was a socially relevant film for everyone to see. There was no charge so I went. I was blown away by this movie. Great classic with a stunning ending. When I unwrapped the package with the BluRay disc, I was sceptical that it would be of really good quality as the film was made so many years ago. Much to my surprise, the quality was just as good as the movie I saw on the big screen that night at Sierra College. I enjoyed it as much here at home as I did then. If you want a great classic, with superb visuals via BluRay, then visit this planet of the apes once again on your home set.
on September 14, 2014
I remember seeing this when it when it opened in 1968 as I was just 16. The ending was completely unexpected! Most of the audence gasped in shock then sat in silence from the ending scene.

The movie is based on the book written by Pierre Boulle in 1963 of the same name. The book differs considerably from any of the movies. I read the book sometime while I was at Indiana State University - either the fall of 1970 or spring of 1971. I found the book better in some ways and worse in others. The movie script was partially written By Rod Serling of Twilight Zone fame which help explain the big twisted ending!

Picture was superb and sound was great. Price was very low and the movie arrived very quickly in perfect shape. Acting is pretty good and direction (IMHO) was also very good.

This movie is simply a classic - one that almost everyone should see once!

I would rate this a very, very high 9.5 to 9.75 - just short of a perfect movie!!

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENED!!!
on January 18, 2015
I have to give this 5 stars for being ahead of its time for 1968. I put it right up there with Space Odyssey. They was a little overacting in it, but still a great movie.

And of course, it was made in 1968, so makeup and special effects are not to today standards.

However, it is way better than The Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

If you have not seen this one, I recommend it. I had not seen it until this rental. I was so disappointed in the new one, that I took someone's recommendation to watch the original. I am glad I did. I am not sure I would watch it more than once, which is what I usually base my review on a movie. It is just so well done for 1968. If they had redone this one, instead of making the newer one (which is like a prequel), I bit it would have been great - as this story line is way better.
on April 20, 2017
Ya know, you really want to like this film, but the plot and acting kind of kill it. Great costumes and special effects, but Wahlberg, whom I love in his other movies, is reduced to a self-absorbed automaton. This film is like the originals only inasmuch as there are apes and humans and the roles are reversed. Oh, and there's the humane ape, the one who sees all the goodness and potential in the humans, and who even gets a cross-species smooch at the end. I just can't like the character Wahlberg plays as he's such an ass.
Watch it for the makeup, costumes, and special effects, but don't expect much plot or acting from it.
VINE VOICEon September 8, 2009
That's true both in terms of the sequels (Beneath, Escape, Conquest, Battle) as well as compared to the Tim Burton remake.

A groundbreaking film (it won an Oscar for best makeup before there was even such a category), I can only imagine the audience's reaction in theaters at the film's final reveal!

Just one question: How in the name of all that is good was this film rated G? I know the ratings system has changed over the years, but even the classic line, "Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!" should have bumped it up to PG, no?

Charlton Heston was at his best in the "last man" role, and is perfect here. (creepy laugh and all) And was there a more beautiful woman in 1968 than Linda Harrison (Nova)? She had been a beauty pageant winner and runner-up in the 1965 Miss USA. She must not have spoken well or else surely she would have found more work in Hollywood.

I've been tempted to purchase the 6-disc collection, although it can be had for quite a bit cheaper on the UK amazon, where it's called the The Planet of the Apes Collection (6 Disk Box Set). In the meantime, the one I'm reviewing is the one to have. It comes with three commentaries so I can't understand why anyone would pay more than twice as much for the more recent 35th Anniversary Edition:

Planet of the Apes (Widescreen 35th Anniversary Edition)
on April 30, 2015
What can I say? The film is s genuine science fiction classic. It brings back so many childhood memories. I was five when this movie hit the big screen, and no one would take me to see it. It wasn't until a few years later that I saw it on television. I thought it was great! It inspired me to write my own science fiction stories, and now I have a small success in this endeavor. A few of my creations have actually been used by Lucasfilm for their Star Wars franchise.
on December 9, 2002
I have very fond memories of watching Planet of the Apes when it was originally released in the cinema back in Dear Old Blighty, and watching the "Original and Best" again, I couldn't help but make comparisons with the latest "reimagining" from Tim Burton.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Burton's, and wasn't expecting much of POTA 2001, but even so, I was desperately disappointed. Whereas in the original we had Charlton Heston's magnificent chigar-chomping, square-jawed nihilism, in the remake we were given "Marky Mark's" bland cardboard cutout `hero', eager to kick some Simian butt. And did anyone else think that Helena Bonham Carter's makeup looked like some bizarre Simian morphing of Oprah and Michael Jackson?!?!?! Creepy. POTA 2001 is 5 Star eye-candy to be sure - makeup, effects blah blah blah - but in my humble opinion, it's a bloated, gutted, and soulless "reimagining" of the original source material.

Oh well, at least we have the original, and watching it on DVD was almost like watching it again for the first time, indeed it was the first time I'd seen it in widescreen since it's original theatrical release. For it's time the makeup effects were groundbreaking, indeed, the source novel by Pierre Boulle, "La Planète des Singes," - "Monkey Planet" - was considered unfilmable because of the makeup that would be required to make the characters believable on the big screen.

But it takes more than makeup, special effects, and squillions of $'s spent on CGI goodies, to make a cinema classic - something Hollywood seems to have forgotten these days! - you need a story, with some depth, with something to say, characters you can believe in, and, to a degree, identify with. With the original Planet of the Apes they got the fundamentals bang to rights, throw in a cast pitch-perfect for their roles, the aforementioned makeup to make it at least believable, and you have a classic in the making.

Although I've been an avid reader of Sci Fi all my life, I'd never read Pierre Boulle's novel `til after I'd seen POTA 2001, and I have to admit I was surprised at the liberties the original film took with the book. I can't read French, so read the English translation of the book, and I have to say it was a pretty stodgy tale... maybe something was lost in the translation?

But - yes, there's always a "but" - to borrow that awful word, the film "reimagined" the book in breathtaking fashion! It became an allegorical tale of America, and to an extent, the rest of the World, caught up in the social revolution of the late 60's; racial discord, the battle of the sexes, politics against religion against science, and three guys from our World who find themselves on a one-way-trip into the unknown... the Planet of the Apes.

The world of POTA is superbly created in the film, everything works; the faintly "primitive" musical soundtrack, the architecture, the costumes, the makeup of course, the hierarchy of Ape society, Orangutans, Chimpanzee's, and Gorillas, representing, broadly speaking, Religion/Government, the Sciences, and the Military. But the most daring representation in the film is in the Humans of this strange World; mute and brutish, something that the short-lived TV series, and the 2001 version shied away from.

Into this crazy upside-down world is pitched astronaut George Taylor - a stunning portrayal by Charlton Heston - after his two colleagues are killed in the initial contact with the Apes... out huntin' `n' shootin' the human vermin, no doubt on a sunny Sunday afternoon! Taylor is driven, cynical, and introspective, sickened by the excesses of his own kind, he looks for meaning in exploring the stars, and finds himself struggling to convince his Ape captors of his intelligence, and his worth as a Human Being. "Adopted" by two `liberal' Chimpanzee's - again, definitive performances by Roddy McDowall and Kim Hunter - Taylor is smuggled out of "Ape City," along with a female companion, Nova, and heads into the "Forbidden Zone," where he hopes he might find answers to how this society evolved, and to live out his life in some kind of peace and quiet with Nova.

What he finds is the "truth" about evolution on the planet - something suspected by his kindly Chimpanzee protectors, and known but kept secret by the ruling Orangutan elite - that in ages past, Man was the dominant species on the planet... but a larger truth is presented as one of the most stunning climaxes in cinema history.

*SPOILER ALERT!*SPOILER ALERT!*SPOILER ALERT!*

I still remember the sledgehammer-in-the-gut force of this scene. This was in the days when you went to the cinema without knowing the end of a film, unless someone actually told you, no endless theatrical trailers showing you the whole damn film, and "Making Of" features that would air on TV before you got to the cinema, or critics who would give the end away just for the hell of it!

Taylor and Nova riding along a beach, the camera looking at them from on high, passing behind something "artificial," Taylor looks up in stunned disbelief, falls from his horse into the surf, howling out his despair at his own kind, "... damn them all to HELL!!!" Nova's look of uncomprehending fear and confusion, and finally we are allowed to see what they see, the Statue Of Liberty, blasted and broken, reaching up from an alien beach; after travelling so far, Taylor had finally come home.

*SPOILER ENDS!*SPOILER ENDS!*SPLOIER ENDS!*

This ending alone makes Planet of the Apes one of the greatest Science Fiction films of all time, up there with Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey [Blu-ray]! Of all the sequels, only Beneath the Planet of the Apes [Blu-ray] is worth watching, and actually finishes off the story in spectacular fashion.

Blu-ray Update...

I recently purchased the "breakthrough classic that started it all" Planet of the Apes [Blu-ray] release and have to say it was very, VERY worthwhile, especially as the price was pretty much what I payed for my original DVD! The clarity and detail in the image is much improved, and while not up to the best of todays "Reference" standards makes it, IMHO, a good reason to buy. The sound mix has been criticised by others, and while everything is pretty much all "up-front," I think it's fair to say the film has never looked, or sounded, better!
on February 28, 2004
This movie is a social/political satire of the human race, transferred to a planet of apes. There is a definite class division between the orangutans (top) chimpanzees (middle) and gorillas (bottom). The primitive mute humans are just...well, animals.

Charlton Heston and crew crash land on the planet, and are captured by the apes. Heston befriends a pair of chimpanzee scientists who eventually help him escape from captivity.

One detail easily missed is during the trial of the chimpanzees by the orangutans, when the 3 orangutans cover their eyes, ears and mouth in the classic "see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil" when they are being told things they do not agree with.

Whether you like the movie or not, the ending scene of the movie is one of the best in the history of cinema.

The DVD has numerous extras, but in fact all three commentaries are hugely disappointing as they are quite sparse, and much of it is repeated verbatim in the included and good 2-hr documentary about the movie and all the sequels.

Spectacular scenery, oscar-winning makeup, great score, great story.