Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,684 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,241 reviews
on June 3, 2015
This is a visually spectacular and startling series that sets the standard for all nature documentaries. Filmed at enormous cost, over several years, with high definition cameras (making it ideal for blu-ray), Plant Earth allows you to see and appreciate our planet as no one has ever done before. Some of these scenes are breathtaking and amazing. And, unfortunately, some are disturbing. There is a lot of attacking and killing of animals here (including baby animals), so this may not be for the very young or squeamish. I found these parts traumatizing. It made me wonder if this is all nature is: fang, claw, and teeth killing to survive as long as possible until it's your turn to fall. If you can get past these parts, this is an amazing experience.
on July 15, 2017
A truly remarkable documentary on nature! The shipping was fast and the product was exactly as described. This collection of narrated nature videos takes you on a time lapse adventure around the world; from deep seas, to jungles, to desserts, and every other climate the planet has to offer. Watching this on anything other than a high definition display is not recommended. The better the quality and definition of the display, the better the experience!

The parts of nature BBC captured in this collection is unmatched and brings. It brings the farthest corners of the planet to the comfort of your living room (or wherever it is you might be watching). That is much more ideal than trying to get to these places (some of which you simply can't if you wanted to) to witness in person what this documentary brings to you. A great educational and entertaining product for people of all ages.Planet Earth: The Complete BBC Series [Blu-ray]
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 23, 2008
This BBC 5-disc, 14-episode series blew me away!

OK, what makes this series any different than the myriad of other nature shows out there?

1) Planet Earth filming crews made it a point to visit remote places that are seldom visited
2) They made it a point to locate and film many endangered species that have seldom if ever been filmed in the wild
3) The film crews were not satisfied to only film these animals, they succeeded in filming many seldom-observed behaviors of those endangered species
4) The film crews included not only footage of the animals they sought, but incredible footage showing the habitats those species rely on for survival.
5) The "how-they-did-it" video short features accompanying the episodes were fantastic.

From all indications the BBC did not cut any corners or leave any filming techniques unexplored in order to compile video footage and then produce this masterpiece.

When our copy of "Planet Earth" arrived we decided as a family to watch one episode a week. After only the first episode the entire crew wanted to watch more, but we decided to stick with our original plan. We set aside a designated time each week to watch an episode and no one missed any of those showings. That's incredible considering the fact that we have a HS senior, a HS junior, a HS freshman, and a 4th grader.

The episodes satisfied and intrigued children, teens, and adults alike. We were sad when we reached the final episode, but we all agree that it was a highly enriching experience.

If you are looking for intelligent, meaningful, and well-done programming to add to your personal video collection, look no further. Planet Earth is a MUST HAVE item.

Nature video experiences just don't get any better than this! And, I should know - I've been teaching biology, zoology, and environmental science at the college/university level for over 15 years.

5 stars all the way! And this is not just any 5 stars - a solid, A+ 100% 5-star rating!
on August 7, 2017
This is a great documenttary. I just got it on region 2 DVD's. I'm a huge fan of David Attenborough and his series of DVD's, but this one is different in the sense that he is not on set, just pure narration. His voice sounds older, and possibly this is the reason he chose not to be on location while this series was being filmed. This dies detract from it IMHO.

The 5 DVD's are outstanding though, and the DVD's itself are extremely high quality, worth a watch just for this. It goes into detail about every climate on earth. David's narration is splendid but lacking some of the wit in past series, perhaps because he is not location? I gave it 5 stars because it is great, just not off the scale great, as some of his past DVD's are. Enjoy it! I did.
on June 26, 2017
This series is amazing. I have the region 2 dvd and watching it was like one of the best 11 hours of my life. The picture, the sound and most importantly the animals, places, and everything else it shows is fantastic. If you are a fan of wildlife documentaries you must own the dvd set, or if you prefer the blu ray or the hd dvd version; only that those two don't have special features, but still the series is great. And of course the final touch that also makes this series as great as it is, a narration by David Attenborough. You really need to watch this!!!
on August 5, 2016
I absolutely love this collection. The cinematography and narration are outstanding! I cannot imagine how much time, energy, efforts, and resources were put into production. I bought two sets, one for myself to keep, and one as a birthday present for my little nephew. The series is educational and reaches to a wide range of audience. There are some scenes that capture the cruel (honest but not gruesome) side of the animal kingdom, such as hunting and struggling polar bears, so some parents might not want to show to very young children. However, at the same time, those could also be the moments for parents to teach/explain animal behaviors and the impacts of global warming. I look forward to watching this with our son when he's old enough to understand.
on April 30, 2017
I normally don't watch things like this, but this series was so well made, and so fascinating, we watched it within a few weeks. Highly, highly recommend it. The narration, the visuals, the facts about our planet were all incredible features of this show.
We finally stepped into the new world today. We have one of the first new Sony 46" XBR4 LCD TVs and this amazing Blu-Ray Planet Earth set of disks. The combination of Blu-Ray, the Sony XBR4, the amazing close ups and panoramas, the dialog from David Attenborough, and God's creation are mesmerizing. We put it on at dinner time but forgot to eat as scene after scene stunned us. Throughout the first two segments of the first disk as each new scene came onto the screen you could hear, "wow", and "Oh", and "amazing" spoken out loud in the living room. The new world is very very good. I highly recommend this disk set. It is educational, vivid, stunning, and wonderful. They must have spent weeks to capture the Great White coming out of the water with a seal in its mouth, coming clean out of the water in the process. We haven't seen it all so can't speak of the quality of the vidow throughout the whole disk set but what we've seen is the sharpest, clearest, and most colorful images I've ever seen.
on July 25, 2015
the best wild life series ever made. between blue planet and planet earth there is no other program that can come close. I very rarely give anything 5 stars and shows like this are the reason. This series has the best shots, accurate information, and is narrated by Sir David Attenborough. As stated earlier if you haven't seen the sister series to Planet Earth called Blue Planet I highly recommend it as well.
on April 11, 2015
This is a wonderful series. Make sure to get the David Attenborough version, and make sure to get the version that has the Diaries at the end of each DVD. They give a behind-the-scenes look at some of the most interesting and challenging animals or places to film. And they are funny! Some of the cheaper editions you can find for sale omit these Diaries, and it's really, really worth getting the full version that contains them.

We watch one episode at a time during Documentary Dinners with our kids, ages 7, 6, and 4. Even young kids can get a lot out of this series. It really broadens their understanding of the world and its amazing natural diversity. The dialogue is not aimed at kids (which we like), but we pause a lot and discuss what is happening, and give the kids extra background information when we can (we are both biologists, and we homeschool... you can see why we love this series!). It is also nice to have a map or globe nearby for pointing out the filming locations.