Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,669 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,225 reviews
on December 29, 2015
I love all things narrated by David Attenborough, he's just a great narrator. Period.

Narrator aside, planet earth is just simply a documentary that I cannot take my eyes off of. The cinematography is (in my opinion) completely unrivaled by any other nature series / shows I've seen. It puts to shame most of the work by Nat Geo, and animal planet, discovery channel, etc. It's just a visually breathtaking show to watch. Make sure and get this in 1080P and watch it on a very good TV. They did a fantastic job at really making the cinematography as perfect as it can be - do yourself a favor and watch it as it should be (in full 1080p, and in its full visual glory)!

I cannot say that I've been interested at all in watching any nature documentaries more than one time. This is the only one that I find to be so involving to watch, that I can watch it many times, and still feel a sense of awe at what the planet and mother nature does. While the structure some may not like (it's fairly whimsical), I like it. It switches from complex to simple, and turns things around, it keeps my attention.

As for the educational value, you get a bit of all kinds of ecosystems, from the deep seas, great plains, to the jungles, caves, etc. It's not a super deep look at everything, but the material is all quite interesting. They are separated by episode, see the list below:

- From Pole to Pole ( a bit of everything )
- Mountains
- Jungles
- Shallow Seas
- Seasonal Forests
- Ocean Deep

This is in my opinion - the best nature series there is. It's a treat to watch. Do yourself a favor and watch it without any distractions.
on June 3, 2015
This is a visually spectacular and startling series that sets the standard for all nature documentaries. Filmed at enormous cost, over several years, with high definition cameras (making it ideal for blu-ray), Plant Earth allows you to see and appreciate our planet as no one has ever done before. Some of these scenes are breathtaking and amazing. And, unfortunately, some are disturbing. There is a lot of attacking and killing of animals here (including baby animals), so this may not be for the very young or squeamish. I found these parts traumatizing. It made me wonder if this is all nature is: fang, claw, and teeth killing to survive as long as possible until it's your turn to fall. If you can get past these parts, this is an amazing experience.
on October 11, 2015
Planet Earth is an absolutely amazing documentary narrated by esteemed naturalist Sir David Attenborough and I love watching it. I have the DVD version however the blu ray version DO NOT include the Diaries of the DVD version and that's very disappointing because it's a very interesting part of the documentary in seeing how the film crew go about filming the hunting and behavioral scenes of these extraordinary creatures and and hearing about their experiences in the Diaries. Although the blu ray version of this program is very good, I would definately recommend buying the DVD version to view the Diaries this truly wonderful and amazing documentary.
VINE VOICEon February 18, 2010
I've been watching Planet Earth on the Discovery HD Channel every time it's on, but Sigourney Weaver's dry narration put me off more and more each time. So I finally broke down and bought this incredible documentary in the BBC High Definition set, and I'm sooooooo glad I did! What a difference narration makes! Sir David Attenborough breathes life into scenes that fizzle out with Sigourney Weaver; his empathy adds depth where her lack of the same distracts. Suddenly I seem to be watching a whole new documentary, and what a treasure it is.

Okay, granted, I am a huge fan of Sir David Attenborough. I have all his books, just about all his documentaries, and I can't wait for the blu-ray versions of "Life of Mammals" and "Life of Birds". I'm terribly disappointed that "The Private Life of Plants" isn't available at all as of this writing, and I hope the BBC wakes up and remasters all Attenborough treasures in blu-ray to give them the treatment they deserve.

Reading other reviews and some of the comments, I have to add that I bought a blu-ray player just so I could get "Planet Earth", and I am now busily scouring Amazon.com for other top notch nature documentaries to add to this very special library.

I also have the regular DVD set, and I will keep it for its extras.

Sir David Attenborough, may you live another 100 years, since there is nobody else quite like you. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 23, 2008
This BBC 5-disc, 14-episode series blew me away!

OK, what makes this series any different than the myriad of other nature shows out there?

1) Planet Earth filming crews made it a point to visit remote places that are seldom visited
2) They made it a point to locate and film many endangered species that have seldom if ever been filmed in the wild
3) The film crews were not satisfied to only film these animals, they succeeded in filming many seldom-observed behaviors of those endangered species
4) The film crews included not only footage of the animals they sought, but incredible footage showing the habitats those species rely on for survival.
5) The "how-they-did-it" video short features accompanying the episodes were fantastic.

From all indications the BBC did not cut any corners or leave any filming techniques unexplored in order to compile video footage and then produce this masterpiece.

When our copy of "Planet Earth" arrived we decided as a family to watch one episode a week. After only the first episode the entire crew wanted to watch more, but we decided to stick with our original plan. We set aside a designated time each week to watch an episode and no one missed any of those showings. That's incredible considering the fact that we have a HS senior, a HS junior, a HS freshman, and a 4th grader.

The episodes satisfied and intrigued children, teens, and adults alike. We were sad when we reached the final episode, but we all agree that it was a highly enriching experience.

If you are looking for intelligent, meaningful, and well-done programming to add to your personal video collection, look no further. Planet Earth is a MUST HAVE item.

Nature video experiences just don't get any better than this! And, I should know - I've been teaching biology, zoology, and environmental science at the college/university level for over 15 years.

5 stars all the way! And this is not just any 5 stars - a solid, A+ 100% 5-star rating!
on September 12, 2010
I love how people who gave this a bad rating are either rating the HD DVD version, got a bad or incomplete copy from the seller, or are just downright stupid (no offense). I just read on that said "HD DVD will not play in my Multi-Function Blu Ray player". Hmm... I wonder why. Maybe you'd have more luck using the VCR?

Anyway, I also own the HD DVD version (but am in the process of switching it to a Blu Ray through [...]), but have also seen the Blu Ray version. Basically, anything David Attenborough narrates is gold (at least from what I have seen).

That aside, this series is spectacular. The narration is top-notch, but even better is the crystal clear HD. It is among the best I have ever seen and is worth every penny. On top of that, the series is very entertaining and informative. My personal favorite is "Deep Ocean" (I love stuff about the abyss... way below where humans are capable of going.).

If you have not seen this series, get on it! Also recommended is the series "Life" (also a Discovery Channel series narrated by Davis Attenborough).
on April 18, 2010
Taking a complicated order for a simple burger involves smorgasbord of holding this or extras on that when it comes to every tailored garnish? Well, here's the scoop on this 6-disc Special Edition blu-ray set, as the problem with distributors setting the final cut allows no a la carte freedom to pick and chose extras. After all, this IS another chance for distributors to double dip, like in any industry, music, movies, etc. a genealogy of remakes, re-mix edits, extended edition, director's cut, previously unreleased bonuses tracks, re-master, new cover art, all in the name of gouging consumers. Especially with blockbusters, and Planet Earth (PE) is no exception. Yes folks, as long as you buy into it, you've suckered up into their marketing ploy. It was all in their strategies from the very start. After all, companies hire a panel full time solely dedicated to all the nitty-gritty tactical ways in capitalizing the bottom line of $, every chance they get, AKA milking the system. What can you do? Really nothing. You are at their helm when the goods are dangled to you in tantalization, and your pavlovian response is beyond your control. But I'm sure as you're reading this, you're wondering if this set is worth it. So without further a due, let's see what you get, and whether or not you can beat the system to your advantage.

So here's the 411 scoop of accompaniments NEW to this 6-disc 2012 BD set that's NOT on the 2007 4-disc BD set, listed in the order of importance:

1) Diaries (bonus in disc 1-4), the 10-min making of clip following each of the 11 main features. Total of ~107 min in SD. Worthy to note, unlike the DVD version and other BBC nature diaries, which auto-plays the diaries immediately following the credits, here you do need to navigate back to the main menu to select these bonuses.

2) 3 new bonus documentaries (disc 6), total 150 min's:
a) Snow Leopards: Beyond the Myth 50 min in HD
b) Secrets of Maya Underworld 50 min in SD
c) Elephant Nomads of the Namib Desert 50 min in SD
-Note: the UK version contains Natural World - Desert Lions 50 min. Not sure why US version left this out. But lucky for US version, UK left out Maya Underworld and Elephants Nomads.

3) The Future (disc 5), 3 episodes in SD; total 3 hours:
a) Saving Species 60 min
b) Into the Wilderness 60 min
c) Living Together 60 min

4) Great PE moments (disc 4) 46 min in SD, narrated by Sir David the Great Attenborough himself.

5) Audio commentaries by producers, but only for 5 of the 11 main episodes: Pole to Pole, Mountains, Caves, Great Plains, Shallow Seas.

6) Music only viewing audio. This feature is a bust. Why in the world would you ever watch a documentary without a narrator? BTW, it's not really music only. The sound effects (water falling, animal sounds, etc.) are still tracked in. I guess they couldn't get rid of that. In my opinion any upgrade to the audio portion should have been to include the Sigourney Weaver (Discovery version) narration.

7) Sneak Peak at Frozen Planet (disc 6) 13 min's in HD. Oh great, more advertising :(. But this IS BBC's next big release following the Life and Human Planet series.

Technical issue: the transfer is 1080i. From my research regarding the ad nauseam debate of PE being i or p, the original cameras used to film this series were no better than 1080i, so that's the limiting step. Though some earlier 2007 BD packages states 1080p, and the signal to your TV indicates p, later releases of the 2007 version corrected this to say 1080i on the package. Considering this series was filmed over the course of the early 2000's, you really can't notch about this (it was the best they had then). The main feature is still reference quality by 2012 standards. However, regarding the extras, for the most part, ALL the bonus features (with the exception of Snow Leopard and the Sneak Peak Frozen Planet which are clearly HD) are all in SD, and at best, an upscaled 720 clearly not full HD from my sharp 20/20 on my 65" panny.

So back to the title of my review, can you beat the system to your advantage? Well, I'll tell you what I did. Ordered used (much cheaper, note: got mine for $22), tossed out the scarfed package (it's cheap cardboard anyways). Bought a 6 disc blu-ray case (brand viva elite) for $2.50 from casetopia dot com, which BTW is the exact same size as the 4 disc case (15 mm thickness). Fit's perfectly into your old slip case. Successful upgrade. Donated the old version to a friend. Done.

Ultimately it's up to you, the well informed consumer to flip the switch or say screw you Mr. distributor leech. Everyone's economics and shelf space run the gamut to savvy your rations, like those must have fan boys. Still not sure?, here a logical final decision making:

-If you have both the dvd and original 2007 BD versions, no real need to upgrade unless you really need the bonus of Elephant Nomads.
-If you only have the Discovery US version of Sigourney Weaver narrating and want the original David Attenborough, then go for it.
-If you don't have the dvd version but only have original 2007 BD version, your upgrade will be solely for all those bonus extras, but keep in mind those extras are in standard def.
-If you don't have any copies of PE, this is a must own in every household for all ages. Starting with this Special Edition 6-disc version, you'd be skipping all other previous wasted versions.
-When it comes to double dipping, price of course is always an issue. Currently as of this writing, the price on Amazon is as follows: Amaz $35; MarketPlace $33; used $26.

To top it off, a globe limited edition (gift version) is also available. Contains the same materials, just the hardware/ packaging is different, Planet Earth: Limited Edition [Blu-ray]

Good luck PE fans. Hope this helps. Note: this updated PE review is written on 01/21/12.
on August 5, 2016
I absolutely love this collection. The cinematography and narration are outstanding! I cannot imagine how much time, energy, efforts, and resources were put into production. I bought two sets, one for myself to keep, and one as a birthday present for my little nephew. The series is educational and reaches to a wide range of audience. There are some scenes that capture the cruel (honest but not gruesome) side of the animal kingdom, such as hunting and struggling polar bears, so some parents might not want to show to very young children. However, at the same time, those could also be the moments for parents to teach/explain animal behaviors and the impacts of global warming. I look forward to watching this with our son when he's old enough to understand.
on April 30, 2017
I normally don't watch things like this, but this series was so well made, and so fascinating, we watched it within a few weeks. Highly, highly recommend it. The narration, the visuals, the facts about our planet were all incredible features of this show.
We finally stepped into the new world today. We have one of the first new Sony 46" XBR4 LCD TVs and this amazing Blu-Ray Planet Earth set of disks. The combination of Blu-Ray, the Sony XBR4, the amazing close ups and panoramas, the dialog from David Attenborough, and God's creation are mesmerizing. We put it on at dinner time but forgot to eat as scene after scene stunned us. Throughout the first two segments of the first disk as each new scene came onto the screen you could hear, "wow", and "Oh", and "amazing" spoken out loud in the living room. The new world is very very good. I highly recommend this disk set. It is educational, vivid, stunning, and wonderful. They must have spent weeks to capture the Great White coming out of the water with a seal in its mouth, coming clean out of the water in the process. We haven't seen it all so can't speak of the quality of the vidow throughout the whole disk set but what we've seen is the sharpest, clearest, and most colorful images I've ever seen.