Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
Plant-Powered Families: Over 100 Kid-Tested, Whole-Foods Vegan Recipes Paperback – May 12, 2015
|New from||Used from|
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
T. Colin Campbell, coauthor of The China Study and the New York Times bestselling Whole
"If you’ve ever struggled with finding healthy, plant-based recipes that excite the entire family, look no further. Dreena’s recipes are a triple threat: kid-approved, wholesome, and irresistible!"
Angela Liddon, author of the New York Times bestseller The Oh She Glows Cookbook and creator of OhSheGlows.com
"Dreena Burton delivers with sage advice and recipes that will properly nourish, satisfy, and delight the taste buds of your entire family."
Brian Wendel, President and founder of Forks Over Knives
"Dreena Burton's Plant-Powered Families is the resource we have all been waiting for. It is truly a delectable, detailed, and satisfying guide to cooking and eating nutritiously that is perfect for the entire family. . . . I highly recommend this book as a staple in all health-conscious, food-loving, compassionate-minded households."
Julieanna Hever, MS, RD, CPT, author of The Vegiterranean Diet and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition and host of Z Living's What Would Julieanna Do?
"When it comes to raising healthy plant-powered kids, there’s no better guide than Dreena Burton. Plant-Powered Families offers a wealth of ways to transform nutrient-dense foods into flavorful, family-friendly meals."
Nava Atlas, author of Plant Power and Wild About Greens
"Plant-Powered Families will revolutionize how you cook. Dreena's recipes are brilliant, combining nutrient-dense foods in imaginative ways to produce the most delicious, family-friendly dishes."
Gene Baur, president and cofounder of Farm Sanctuary and author of Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds about Animals and Food
"Dreena has jam-packed this book with tummy-satisfying, kid-tested recipes the whole family will gobble up. . . . It's an essential guide for families who want to turn over a new leaf without all the kicking and screaming."
Whitney Lauritsen, author of Healthy, Organic Vegan on a Budget
"Plant-Powered Families is an exceptional cookbook that should be a household staple. Dreena Burton has once again provided excellent plant-based whole foods recipes, that my whole family enjoys!"
Aaron Simpson, Head MMA Coach
"Finally, a collection of whole-food vegan recipes that our kids will actually eat! Not only are Dreena's recipes exciting, healthy, and kid-friendly, but her realistic meal plans, clear nutrition guidelines, and down-to-earth advice help give plant-based parents the confidence that they're doing this right. Mealtime in my house just got a lot more fun!"
Matt Frazier, vegan ultramarathoner, author of No Meat Athlete, and father of two young kids
"Dreena Burton is a kitchen magician who will have your whole family eating healthy and loving it! Plant-Powered Families is packed with delicious, whole foods recipes even the pickiest eater won’t be able to resist."
Susan Voisin, FatFree Vegan Kitchen
"Plant-Powered Families is a masterpiece! Dreena Burton is one of a select few recipe creators with a true commitment to whole foods, plant-based, healthy eating."
Bryant McGill, bestselling author, speaker, and activist
About the Author
After working in marketing management for several years with an international satellite communications company, Dreena followed her true passion of writing recipes and cookbooks. Dreena has appeared on television and radio and is a recipe contributor for well-known sites, including Forks Over Knives, KrisCarr.com, and PCRM. She has written for Yoga Journal, VegNews, ALIVE magazine, and has been featured in other publications including First for Women magazine. Dreena has won several blog awards including VegNews, VegBloggy, and Vancouver’s Ultimate Mom Blog.
Top customer reviews
Disclaimer: I am not entirely vegan (only 80-90% of the time when I can), but am very passionate about eating plant-based. I also went to culinary school in Paris, so I am experienced in making both vegan and omni recipes.
1. Although all of Dreena's cookbooks are amazingly healthy, this book is the HEALTHIEST yet! There is absolutely NO white flour, white sugar, proceed anything in this book. On top of that, this book is completely OIL-FREE. Although the recipes are higher in fat than, say, what is recommended in the McDougall, or Dr. Esselstyn's diets-- the fat percentage is around 20-30% in most recipes, they are fats from whole foods. Dreena has used beans, nut/seed butters, or coconut butter to add protein and additional nutrients, and not to mention creamy texture to her dishes. I especially enjoyed the dessert recipes, which taste even better than any other vegan or non-vegan recipes I have tried, and would definitely be perfect treats even for those doing low-fat vegan.
2. Gluten free, soy free, nut free options: one of the main things I observed with Dreena's last book, "Let Them Eat Vegan", was the abundant use of nuts, which is not a problem at all for me (I love nuts!), but may be a factor of concern for those who have nut allergies. In this book, many of the recipes that require nuts, soy, or gluten are either revised to be allergen free, or include thoughtful and creative options for those who are allergic. What's more, in place of nuts, Dreena has used vegetables to create the same creaminess-- which makes for even more nutritious recipes. For example, the cashew-based Vegveeta dip from LTEV, which I LOVE, is now made with potatoes and oats and is even yummier :)
3. DESSERTS and BAKED GOODS: oh wow-- I cannot say enough great things about Dreena's baked goods. I literally baked my way through every dessert recipe in LTEV, and am already halfway through the dessert chapter in this book, and so far every recipe I have made have been A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I recommend the Dreamy Baked Bananas (topped with Banana Butter Ice Cream), Crazy brownies -- which are made from potatoes, chickpeas, and tahini, but taste better than most of the non-vegan brownies I have had, and vanilla bean chocolate chip cookies (I recommend hunting down vanilla bean powder for this! yum!).
4. Pictures: what a treat! Almost every recipe in this book has a picture, which are beautifully photographed, and look absolutely scrumptious. This is a huge change from Dreena's previous cookbooks, and a great change indeed!
5. Balanced, fresh and bright flavors: I found the flavors of the dishes in the book to be very balanced. And although the flavors are quite mild, Dreena has skillfully brightened the flavors of her dishes with a restrained yet balanced use of acid and sweetness. Incidentally, on top of being kid-friendly, I found that the mild and fresh-flavored dishes to be very easy to digest as well.
CONS (Which are non-issues for me personally):
1. Repeated recipes: as a few reviewers have pointed out, this book contains a few repeated recipes. These include 1) recipes that were already published elsewhere (these are mostly oil-free recipes from her Plant-powered 15 cookbook, and the China Study All-Star cookbook), and 2) popular recipes from her previous books, but improved and made allergen-free. I personally don't mind category 1), and LOVE the category 2) recipes. I was SO excited to finally see the greatist past "hits" made EVEN healthier and simpler! But again, if repeated recipes is an issue, or if you already are tweaking Dreena's old recipes, this a point to take note of.
2. Fewer recipes as compared to her other cookbooks: this, I suspect, is due to the need to include photos for the cookbook, which would take up twice the amount of space compared to, say, if there were no pictures. Again, this is a non-issue for me because i LOVE photos in cookbooks.
RECIPES I LIKED. Just to name a few, these include:
Breakfasts: Pumpkin pie smoothie, Chunky Monkey smoothie, Best Banana Bread
Lunch Fixes:Potato-Meets-Egg Salad, Chickpea nibbles
Dips and spreads: Mild Cheesy Dip (this is the variation of the Vegveeta Dip), Red Lentil Hummus, Pumpkincredible Hummus
Soups and Stews: Smoky Bean Chilli, Cream of Cauliflower Soup
Pizza and Pasta: Mac-nificient (this was even better than the Mac-oh-geez in LTEV! yum)
Burgers n' Fries n' Such: Umami Sun-Dried Tomato and Almond Burgers (this was SO good and flavorful-- a must-try), "SweetBalls"
Puddings, Creams and Sauces: Peanut Butter Pudding with Berrylicious Swirl, Milk Chocolate Fudge Sauce
Cookies, Bars, and Energy Bites: Crazy Brownies, Vanilla Bean Chocolate Chip Cookies, "Nicer" Krispie Squares, Sticky Almond Blondies, Nut-Free- "Frosted Brawnies", Vanilla Bean Almond Butter Fudge (yeeeah I pretty much adore this entire chapter ;p)
Frozen treats: Banana Butter ice cream
Cakes and Frostings: Chocolate Sweet Potato Cake, Chocolate ganache
Extras!: Dreamy Baked Bananas, (and I am also very excited about making The Great Pumpkin Pie!, which has an oat crust.)
- She uses wholesome ingredients, not every vegan cookbook has healthy recipes, some are loaded with unhealthy and overly processed ingredients.
- Her recipes are well organized and easy to follow. Some recipes can be intimidating when they have more than a few ingredients, Dreena's recipes are well organized and I could always follow them easily even when I was not very experienced in the kitchen.
- Her recipes are flavorful and work! There are so many recipes posted on blogs out there that don't work quite right. After experimenting with lots of cookbooks and blogs, I always feel such comfort when I cook from Dreena's recipes, the food always comes out great!
All her books are excellent additions to anyone's cookbook collection, this new one is a gorgeous book with beautiful pictures for every recipe and it has colors on the sides which makes it easier to get to the sections. There are lots of easy and quick recipes that are simply delicious and perfect for a busy lifestyle. I had a chance to try around 70% of the recipes from this book and can say it's a fabulous book.
I have made the chocolate chip cookies, granola bars, and almond fudge. My kids and husband even like them. People are shocked its healthy and I have NEVER had that reaction!!!
As an aside I prefer chocolate chip cookies with unsweetened shredded coconut instead of chocolate chips. So delicious!!
I have been amazed!