Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6 reviews
I didn't find this book helpful at all. The other reviews here made the book sound so great. I wanted to put my family tree online, and needed some guidance on the best method for organizing 600+ names...a baby tree by most genealogist's standards. The book gives only one sample model of how one might do this: Have 8 separate pages devoted to your great-grandparents. It stops there without going into any more detail. So, it did not answer my question that had led me to purchasing the book.

Most of the book is common sense advice such as: don't use turquoise font on your website. I say that's true of any website, not just a genealogy website. In fact, that's true of just about any text anywhere at all! So, this book gives basic advice that is not specific to creating a genealogy website. The majority of chapters contain information that you can glean simply by surfing the web and reviewing other sites (of any kind).

I ended up creating my website using Legacy Family Tree software. It's gorgeous, it was extremely simple to do, and the pages are far more dynamic than just having 8 web pages devoted to my great grandparents.

If you need some real hand-holding or are new to the Internet and web pages, then this book may help you. If you have been web surfing for several years or have even a basic knowledge of web publishing (all you need to know is what you like and don't like about the web), then this book won't tell you anything you don't know.
on October 13, 2013
I have wanted to set up a family history Web site for a long time, and also have been a user of Cyndi's List for an equally long time. I am glad she has brought out this tutorial for those of us who have not dabbled yet in creating Web sites.
on September 5, 2008
I have read and am rereading this book. It has inspired me to start a family history website. But I am working at my layout first and this book opens your eyes to how to properly set up a site like this and all the different options.