Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(2 star, Verified Purchases). See all 321 reviews
on February 1, 2010
I was not impressed with Carrie Underwood's CD Play On. It doesn't seem to be country music and none of the songs are very good.
on May 27, 2010
Carrie misses the mark on this one.

Every title on her first two albums was a hit, and would have made the top five if released. However, only two, possibly three songs could be hits here. It was so brutal trying to make it through the whole album, that I listened to it only once and filed it...she should fire the songwriters.

I am a big Carrie fan ever since her days on "Idol". She has one of the most incredible voices I have ever heard. I swear she moves me to tears at times. I hope that she may be able to reach a different audience with this album, 'cause she certainly hasn't reached me with this one!
on November 23, 2009
Carrie is a cool singer but not quite a Bob Dylan when it comes to message songs as this album clearly shows. It begins to look like she is running out of material to write with this third album and needs to find some new inspiration.
on November 11, 2009
This CD is not great. Not even good. I listened to the whole thing, straight through. I clicked off more than half the songs on this disc. If I never hear them again ... only too soon. It does not feel very country. Not even poppy. I like Cowboy Casanova - and I should have just stuck with the single.

Listen to the previews - I didn't. Or I would have saved ten bucks.
on November 5, 2009
I like Carrie Underwood and loved her debut, Some Hearts. I thought that cd did a nice job balancing her great voice with a good selection of songs that showcased her vocal talent (regardless of how few of them were actual country songs). Now, I thought that Carnival Ride was a dissapointing follow-up because while Carrie's vocie still shined, that cd was full of bad song choices in my opinion. Song after song had corny, "simple" lyrics and repeatative themes that I would expect from a fifteen year-old singer, not a mature woman. Carrie brought nothing new to the table on CR (although I did enjoy 2-3 songs) and it was a forgetable album as a result. Well, Play On is even worse than Carnival Ride.

Play On is a cross-over mess, or a cd full of future pop-hits, depending on your position on the debate. Once again, the current Queen of Country Radio (a title she shares with Ms. Swift) forgot her country fans in order to continue her drive to become the next Faith Hill or Shania Twain - a great POP singer that claims to sing country becuase she entered the industry through the genre.

In fact, Carrie's great vocie is this cd's only saving grace. Play On's downfall are the simple lyrics full of overdone cliches that show little emotional growth from Underwood. None of these songs seem personal (or beliveable) enough to be memorable and ring true; they lack a feeling of honesty and truth that all good country music has. I know Carrie Underwood is a not a songwriter, but come on, hopefully SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE can write better lyrics for her than this! Where is the heartfelt storytelling that used to define country music? I mean, honestly, I can't believe the sincerity of any of these songs when I listen to the lyrics.

Bottomline, if you are a Carrie fan, add this to your collection. If you like pop music sung by a great voice, add this to your collection. If you are a country fan-first and a casual Carrie Underwood fan, skip this cd and go buy Holly William's latest "Here With Me" (which is full of superb story-telling from top to bottom).

Songs I Liked: "Temporary Home", "Look At Me"
Songs That I Can Tolerate: "Cowboy Casanova", "Someday When I Stop Loving You", "This Time", "Unapologize", "Mama's Song"
Songs I Hate: "Play On", "Quitter", "Undo It", "What Can I Say", "Songs Like This" - one of the WORST songs I've heard recently. Carrie should have been ashamed to record this mess. Sounds so ingenious.
55 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse