Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 37 reviews
on November 2, 2011
My Review:
This book is one that I had a hard time rating because I really could not stand one character in it...Millie, the chick who is actually playing Cupid as punishment. The issue is that I don't think that you are supposed to like her yet....her punishment for living an unfulfilled life is that she has to find love for 7 people. Brooke is her first assignment out of those seven, which I am assuming means that this series is going to be 7 books long. I am also assuming that means that Millie is going to have a long character arc where she develops a more likable persona...at least that is my hope. BUT that did not keep her character from completely grating on my nerves with her choices in this book...and Millie is in a LOT of the book. See my dilemna??

But I did like the romantic story between Brooke & Elliott...honestly, I am a sucker for a romance set on a university campus, so this book already had a major plus in it's favor. I also like that there is a big age difference between the two with Brooke being the older and the fact that Elliott is the one to fall first. There is just something innately sexy about that dynamic to me. Brooke is a 30 something divorcee finding herself again after the end of her 15 year marriage. She has started her own business that is going very well and has gone back to college simply for the experience that it will add to her life and business. She doesn't want a degree...she wants the knowledge. Elliott has been watching her every week on her weekly jaunts to the bookstore and makes his move by buying her the pile of books that she was lusting over one day. I LOVE this part of this book. OMG! Is that not the most romantic thing? He didn't buy her flowers or candy...he bought her books!! I adore that!

The issue in the story is that Millie is playing Cupid for Brooke and Millie can't see Elliott as a good match for Brooke. She thinks that he will only lead to heartache because he is in his mid-20's and too young for her. Instead, Millie is trying to set Brooke back up with her ex-husband...NOT a good thing. Millie is shallow and tends not to listen or pay attention to the clues that are around her until it is MUCH TOO LATE. She is so caught up in herself and her own agenda that she is missing huge clues as to what she should be doing. Helping her in her journey is AJ and she has a HUGE crush on him. I look forward to where their aspect of the story goes as we move through the series. I really liked his character although I have a feeling that he knows more about things than he is letting on to Millie. I have a feeling that we are going to see some surprises come in the series from AJ's character.

Overall this was a good book, so the question is...do I rate it lower because of one character that honestly is supposed to be that completely annoying? I honestly don't think that I can. When I started this review, I had this book rated as a B-, but I am changing it to a B+. I completely enjoyed Elliott and Brooke's love story and even with my annoyances with Millie, I look forward to seeing where this series goes in the future...especially for her and AJ.
on March 11, 2012
Play Fling by Amber Scott is funny, steamy, sexy and Millie can be quite irritating at times. The chemistry between Brooke and Elliot from the beginning is electric, from the very first time they meet.

AJ and Millie can be funny together. Don't know how Brooke puts up with Millie. She's always late to their meetings and finally stands her up. That's when Brooke meets Elliot. Don't know how Brooke doesn't just strangle Millie after she basically calls her old to her face, after Millie realizes what's going on between Elliot and Brooke. Millie makes such a big deal out of the age deference between them. She makes it seem like Brooke is old enough to be Elliot's mother. Sure Brooke's a cougar but the age deference isn't twenty years. It's more like ten years.

What happens along the way is funny. It's nice to see Brooke come out of her shell. Millie's meddling in Brooke's life as Cupid can make you want to strangle her at times. She means well but she just can't get over the age difference and tries to get Brooke and her ex-husband Jason back together. Millie doesn't see what's in front of her when Brooke, Elliot, Elliot's cousin Gordon and Jason all bump into each other in the mall. She's just busy trying to match Jason and Brooke because they were once married and thinks they are still in love.

Loved the story, especially how it all comes together. Highly recommend it.
on February 17, 2012
...the ending definitely leaves something lacking.

I thoroughly enjoyed the plot of this book and definitely had a lot of laugh-out-loud moments for which I'm pretty sure I got dirty looks. Of course, the sex always makes it good. The main couple, Brooke and Elliott, were well-developed and had great characteristics that most modern readers can identify with. However, Millie and AJ were ENTIRELY underdeveloped; sometimes I had a hard time sympathizing with Millie for her supposed "crimes", and AJ I could never connect with other than "he's-the-hottie-mentor-and-looks-good-in-my-head". The character point-of-view jumps were hard to follow due to plentiful formatting and paragraph errors, and the grammar and spelling mistakes dotted the literary landscape from start to finish. There is even a name that I believe was an autocorrect that doesn't fit at all. The ending of the book--after Scott's skillful buildup of sexual tension and blooming realization--seems stunted and sudden, and the time jump of a year in the last pages seems reasonable for the couple but *UN*reasonable for the reader to swallow.

Aside from the above-noted cons, Scott writes a great new twist on paranormal romance that gives it a believable air. Great for a cuddle on the couch with a pint of ice cream and an open mind needing some romantic humor! Here's to hoping that this author finds a second set of eyes to proofread before her 3rd "Stupid Cupid" novel (which, despite all reservations, I am looking forward to reading due to wanting resolution with Millie's past!). If these kind of errors drive you nuts, hold off--and when you see a "newly edited" post from the author on Amazon, swipe this novel up for sure.

5 stars for plot
4 stars for character development
2 stars for editing

3.5 stars overall

Kayla
on January 11, 2012
This is a wonderful story about falling in love when you least expect it. Elliot and Brooke are perfect for each other...they just don't know it yet...And with Cupid Millie on the job...they might never figure it out...

Play Fling is full of unexpected romance and a lot of heart. Every time you think Brooke and Elliot will finally let their walls down and give in to their feelings, something happens...

I couldn't put this book down and I can't wait to read the next book in the Stupid Cupid series...

Great job Amber Scott!
on March 22, 2012
Let me preface by saying this is my first book I've read by this author. I have just ordered the next book in this series. I liked this one that much. Millie shows great growth in this book and that was heartening. I actually didn't warm to the main character as much as I did to Millie, despite her obvious flaws (materialistic, stubborn, etc), but she really isn't a bad person and she is loyal to her friends despite her almost-disasterous efforts at match-making are concerned. The romance is sizzling and the scenes of love-making are steamy. If you don't like those types of explicit scenes, this is not your book. For the price, I think I got a steal. I can't wait to have time to read the next book in this series: "Sweetest Fling." It's on my Kindle and if you like heart-warming humor and steamy passionate love scenes then this book ought to be on yours.
on December 1, 2010
Man, does Amber Scott know how to tell a fun tale! Her story about a down-on-her-luck misfit cupid and a lonely divorcee kept me turning pages as fast as I could soak up the words. I loved how her characters' angst and antics had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. And the love scenes were so hot, they left me fanning my cheeks. If you're looking for a handful of fun, Play Fling is the book for you! I look forward to reading more from this author.
on April 8, 2012
There were times in this book that I caught myself laughing and cheering for the characters. Those times I felt a little like Millie, a bungling newby cupid. Don't get me wrong. There were enough spots that were "Hot", too. The only part that got a bit under my skin was knowing what part of the romance could never be: Jason and Brooke. Ms. Scott does a good job at dragging it out without revealing it to the characters, so that when it finally is revealed, I felt satisfied. Writing like this, makes me excited to find her next book and read it. Good read!
on December 27, 2011
Great book! It was hard to put down. I liked that the story was told through Brooke, Elliot, and Millie's points of view. I definitely plan on sharing with friends!
on July 5, 2012
For a book supposedly about Cupid, Cupid spends a lot of time getting in the way. I'm also not a fan of the "I'll write a fourteen page letter" plot devise. The first half of the book was cute and flirty. The second was a bit more difficult to swallow, especially once the wrench was thrown into the romance. If you can ignore Millie (Cupid), it's a pretty cute book, though you shouldn't have to ignore the book's namesake in order to enjoy it.
on July 13, 2012
play fling is an escape story. you can get lost and forget your troubles for a while. i immediately formed a picture in my head of Millie played by Megan Mullally and it worked. looking forward to many more cupid books. after all, failure is the best teacher. you are kept guessing until the end to see if Millie's interference will ruin true love or save it.
so let yourself go, read this book and take the surprises when they come.