Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Play On
Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 25, 2011
and beautiful girl too!! haha! Anyway, this is one awesome album from country singer Carrie Underwood. Unlike the previous releases, this one is closer to rock music but the ballads still are country-oriented. This album has her at a more mature sound and also showcases the best songs I've heard from her. Songs like Quitter, Change, and Undo It are some of her all time best!

On your left is the ranch where you can see all the music:
This album is pretty much Country and Rock fusion.

1. Cowboy Casanova- A nice rocker to start off this album. I like the male background vocals and just the beat.

2. Quitter- I love this song! I like the beat to it and just the positiveness of it. Great song, Carrie!

3. Mama's Song- A nice song. I like this one. It's grown on me!

4. Change- This is one of the highest points of the album. I love this song, too.

5. Undo It- Another song like Cowboy Casanova but this one is better by a long shot. I like the beat of this one better and it just sounds better.

6. Someday When I stop Loving You- I don't really care for it. It's ok but I just don't care for it.

7. Songs Like This- I like this one. It has a nice upbeat grove. I think this one's pretty good, too!

8. Temporary Home- This is an absolutely beautiful song! I like this one a lot!

9. This Time- I like this one, too. It has a nice little beat to it.

10- Look at Me- I don't really care for this one. It's ok but I just don't like it.

11. Unapologize- I like this one a lot! I love her voice on all of them but these last 3 songs are the best!

12. What Can I Say? (Featuring Sons of Sylvia)- I like this song a lot. It has a lot of emotion and I like the duet between Carrie and the guy vocalist.

13. Play On- Favorite song on the album! Great music and a very true and positive message! Great album closer!

Verdict- If you like Carrie Underwood's previous efforts, this one is better! If you like radio music I suggest you get it (I don't like radio music but I still like it!) It's a very nice album, and it's all acoustic; no electronic stuff.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on August 28, 2017
CD Great. Packaging awful. CD case cracked when it arrived. It was slapped in a padded envelope along with 5 other CDs. All the cases were broken.
on November 9, 2009
Finally listened to this album a few times. This CD is by no means groundbreaking, but having said that I'd also say that PLAY ON is one of the better country albums released during this period (2009/2010). I think country music consumers may have been spoilt by INSTANT "catchiness" and "hooks", which could be this album's downfall. The 13 tracks are not IMMEDIATELY memorable and upon first listen, may seem like another bunch of songs. Not true - they grow on you.

You won't be pushing the skip button throughout the CD. But you also won't quite be swept off your feet. The honky-tonk tunes sound like you've heard them before while the ballads need that little bit more to REALLY SOAR. Perhaps the producers were going for more expression, more message, more emotion. The thing that keeps everything one notch above other country releases is Underwood's vocals - her light and shade, her restraint and control, and the sheer electrifying power of her voice when she lets it rip.

Gems: "Temporary Home", "Cowboy Casanova", "Mama's Song", "What Can I Say" (beautiful duet) and "Look At Me" (Vince Gill's background vocals blend perfectly).

PLAY ON, as a country album, has it all - country instruments, hit singles, towering voice - and yet, I appreciate why some people deem that it lacks tasteful and original experimentation. I'd still say, "Good effort, Carrie Underwood. But for album #4, do something different. Try an accoustic one (ala Dixie Chicks on HOME) or change your style radically and stun us with a RAISING SAND."

PLAY ON doesn't disappoint. It's at the forefront of country music, but not revolutionary. I'll still be spinning it many times.

4.5 Stars to be exact.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on May 31, 2011
Carrie Underwood's voice just keeps getting better and better. I can hardly believe the range she has developed since her days on American Idol. Not only range, but deep emotion and a moving spiritual quality. She's so devoted to her talent that along with her uncompromising work ethic and dedication to her singing her voice continues to soar. I truly believe that if she continues along the path she's currently on she'll be recognized in the not too distant future as being the best female vocalist ever to have sung country songs. If she were to cross over it would be the same. She's capable of singing any genre of music with power and beauty. She's said on many occasion that she doesn't understand why she's been so blessed. One only needs to see her in interview and listen to the beautiful stories her music conveys to know intuitively that this young woman was groomed from the beginning as a gift to us and the world. From whom? Many would say its obvious. I know she is.. Its a privilege to be able to share the planet with her and to listen to her voice and her lyric bring us all closer to one another. She's truly blessed as we are gifted with her music, talent, honesty and wholesomeness. Thanks Carrie.. and thanks to her family for the wonderful nurturing. Play on....
on March 17, 2012
I am a big Carrie Underwood fan! Not just for her beautiful singing voice, but because of who she is. She has managed to become ultra famous without it changing her basic loving nature. I am so impressed by her and the way she takes care of herself. She has my respect and admiration. This is my first CD of hers though. It is excellent with lots of good, up tempo songs for singing in the car! With the price of gas these days, we all need something to make us happy as we drive along......... There are several tracks I never heard before which are quite nice. My favorite is the title track, Play On. It is a very inspiring song about what to do when life throws a curve--just play on. I have pre-ordered her newest CD, Blown Away, through Amazon and eagerly await more music by this talented artist.
on November 15, 2009
Play On is the follow up to the highly successful Carnival Ride and one of the main things this new album showcases is that Carrie has grown.
Unlike her previous 2 albums,Carrie has learned that she doesn't always have to belt out a song for it to still be powerful.Plus she has definitely gotten more confident in her song writing.Co-writing 7 of the 13 tracks.All these songs have great depth and meaning that will easily touch people.
Her no.1 hit Cowboy Casanova kicks things off,some other catchy uptempos include Quitter,Undo It and the irresistible Songs Like This.
There also includes some beautiful ballads such as Mama's Song,Change and the simply beautiful Look At Me which has Vince Gill providing the lovely backing vocals to.This has a similar style to her version to Randy's song I Told You So.
She wraps things up with a Martina McBride style anthem Play On.This album is surely a turning point for Carrie that will no doubt gain her a broader audience,while still keeping her fans happy.
A Pop/Country album that is a pleasure to listen to,so you can't go wrong with this gem.Highly recommended!
3 helpful votes
on August 12, 2017
Great condition
on March 5, 2011
To me, "Play On" is Carrie's best album, with "Some Hearts" a close second, and "Carnival Ride" a distant third.

"Play On" is so consistent... every album on this song is good, with many being excellent.

This is the first album I've owned in which every track gets at least a "B"

In my opinion, Carrie hit a grand slam in this album.

Here is how I rate them...

Cowboy Casanova: A+
Look At Me: A-
Unapologize: B+
What Can I Say (Featuring Sons Of Sylvia): B
Play On: A-

For me, this album as a whole gets an "A+". The consistent quality from song to song is truly amazing. There is a nice mix of slow, medium, and fast songs. Her voice is amazing, and she excels at making music that even non-country fans can love.
on November 1, 2013
Getting beyond the inappropriateness of this review's title... Underwood can sing. Her stellar success shows it, of course, but the bottom line is that she continually cranks out songs that I want to listen to. Not bad for a guy whose listening style used to be as simple as ABC (Anything But Country). My favorite is 'Undo It'... and I still have a great appreciation for those muscular thighs that seem to crop up in everything from the 'Good Girl' video to her latest conquering of 'Are you ready for some football...?' Enjoy.
on July 9, 2013
...but, for me, Carrie Underwood seems to put out half-albums -- and I AM a fan of hers.

I'm not expecting a radio hit on every song, but I want to enjoy the album from the beginning to end. I've bought more than one of her CDs, and there's usually a few hits, and few other songs that aren't bad, and then a few forgettable ones. This one continues that trend for me. I'm curious why I don't stick to just buying individual songs?

There's enough "good" songs to shrug and realize that buying the whole album is as cost-effective as buying them individually. This isn't Some Hearts... but it's worth a few listens.