Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony PlayStation 3 Slim 320 GB Charcoal Black Console
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

UPDATE: Aug. 16, 2011

Only wanted to note that the PS3 keeps adding value to itself. Granted, the competition are not sitting on their hands either. The latest system update added Hulu Plus, MLB.TV and Vudu HD Movies to Netflix as 'video' services and Qriocity for 'music'.

As for its versatility, I recently paired a Bluetooth keyboard that Logitech claims it's for iPad only with our PS3. It took about 10 seconds.

And, yes, I am probably going to get the next generation when it's released but, until then I am very happy with our 2 PS3s. One of which is the original 60GB console, still as good as new.

____________________________________________

PS3 VS. OTHERS :)

Ever since the launch of Slim, the PS3 has been undertaking a quiet revolution or... could it be the console's midlife rebound? :) Here's what happened recently - and I will only note the more important developments going 12 months back (writing this in Oct., 2010):

- NetFLIX streaming, now disc-less, 1080p, 5.1 surround sound
- Much larger disk (this one is triple the size of the original Slim)
- Move
- 3D gaming
- Blu-ray 3D

This is a lot of new 'stuff' for a 4 year old console. I am not going to go into bean-counting mode and compare the PS3 improvements with what we see at the other guys but, clearly there is a lot of life in the PS3 and, with the 320GB models, the PS3 continues to maintain the largest disk advantage over the competition, is the only Blu-ray console and, when you consider the services and the array of Sony-made and third party peripherals built around it, the PS3 is a well built, well rounded entertainment hub.

THE 320GB MODEL

Over the past year or so, Sony added to the original 120GB 'Slim' model, itself a greatly optimized and streamlined PS3, several submodels sporting larger disks: 160GB, 250GB and, with the Move launch, the 360GB version. You can view this model as the original Slim with a three times larger disk or, if you want to take a more recent point of reference, the PS3 Move bundle without the Move.

DECIDING WHICH MODEL TO BUY

I happen to own the PlayStation 3 320GB System with PlayStation Move Bundle model myself in addition to an upgraded 60GB 'classic' model - our current Blu-ray/DVD player and overall media center - and the Move bundle. We also owned the original 120GB Slim at one time and, before each purchase the main decision wasn't whether to buy a PS3 but rather which model was best suited to our needs.

At the time I'm writing this (November 2010) there are 4 basic models to choose from but, since the 250GB sells for the same price as the 320GB, it's safe not to discuss it so the 3 basic options are:

A - 160GB model: the original Slim with a slightly larger disk, lowest price, same as the original launch Slim
B - 320GB model: sells for $50 more than the 160GB, offers double the storage (this model)
C - 320GB Move bundle: for an extra $50 it adds the basic Move peripherals, plus a Move game, same large disk

Depending on what your needs are, one of the 3 should make more sense than the other.

OPTION A

If 'price' is an issue go for this one. The good thing about the PS3 is that it's possible to upgrade the initial disk to a larger one later. I'm not going to go into detailed accounting but, if you can reuse or maybe sell the original 160GB disk, upgrading this model to 500GB can be done at very little cost. Some basic technical skills will be needed.

This is the choice for anyone who absolutely NEEDS 500GB (rather than 320GB).

OPTION B

Those who can use the extra storage - intense gamers or anyone planning to keep thousands of songs and photos on their PS3, are okay with 320GB and therefore don't want to go through the disk upgrade process should go with THIS MODEL. $50 for double the disk capacity is a fair deal in my view.

This model makes a lot of sense if you don't care about the Move.

OPTION C

This is the model I picked because we wanted to have the Move option. It's the best way to enter the Move world at this time. The extra $50 will buy you:

* Move motion controller, of course
* PlayStation Eye camera (must have one for the Move to work)
* Sports Champions (Ping Pong is simply awesome, some of the games play much better with a second controller)
* A demo disc so you can see what Move can do for you (most of the demos can be downloaded from the PSN)

Given that the price difference over the 'plain vanilla' 320GB model is the price you pay for the Move controller, you basically get the PS3 Eye camera and the Sports Champions game for free - and you can sell the camera if you already have one and the shrink-wrapped game if you have no use for it.

In fairness and based on my own experience, you will almost certainly end up buying a second Move motion controller. You may also want a separate charger so keep these in mind when budgeting. But, regardless, this is still the best Move starter.

DOES DISK SIZE STILL MATTER?

Probably not as much as it used to. In my view, 320GB is probably enough storage to last till the PS4 comes around - and I'm one who did upgrade his original PS3 to 500GB.

You can store an enormous amount of photos, songs, demo games, home videos and game installations on 320GB. Two years ago I thought that 500GB were making a lot of sense because movies needed so much space but, since then, the pressure to having huge disks installed on a PS3 lessened a little due to the advent of technologies such as NAS (network attached storage) and Home Servers that allow you to have thousands of GB worth of 'media' stored safely off your PS3 and streamed in when needed. And, of course, Netflix streaming eliminates the need to save many thousands of movies if the somewhat lesser quality is not a big issue. Not everyone may agree but I have no plans to replace the 320GB disk with a larger one at this time.

WHAT ELSE YOU MAY WANT/NEED

Depending on how you are planning to use the PS3, this is what you don't get but may end up buying eventually:

- HDMI cable for HD output (a component cable should work too but you can get a decent HDMI for $3-5 or so)
- One or more extra USB wires same as above, don't pay more than $2-3 for one
- One more Move Controller if you buy the Move bundle (some games will either require two controllers or will play better with two)
- One or two Navigation Controllers (no big pressure because you can use the DualShock in your left hand but it feels weird)
- Dedicated charger, especially if you have more than one Move controller or you also have a Navigation controller
- PS3 TV remote controller to use when watching movies

MY RATING

I just love the PS3. I've been a PS3 owner ever since the 60GB classic became available and I've been impressed with the PS3's reliability, versatility and its sheer power - and I've owned both 'classic' and 'slim' models, upgraded most, gave away a couple. In the end it's a matter of personal taste but the PS3 is increasingly the most popular 'gaming' or 'entertainment' implement in our household. And we DO own an Xbox too.

I will not go through the long list of PS3's features. It would be an exaggeration to say that it does 'everything' but it does a lot and it's doing it increasingly well. Agreed, features and capabilities do not come for free and sometimes they don't even come cheap (see my list of possible add-ons above) but I can't say that I have the feeling of being constantly nickeled and dimed when I upgrade my PS3 or I buy a Sony-made or a third-party add-on. I have no choice at this time but to order the extra Move and Motion controller from Sony but the charger, the larger disks I used to upgrade my old classic, all of the cables, the headset and so on came or will come from third party vendors and even for the old SixAxis and the remote controller there were alternatives at the time I decided to buy the Sony-made ones. In addition, the 'basic' PS3 console can take you pretty far as it is and you can have a lot of fun without having to spend one extra penny.

To conclude, any of the 3 options get 5 stars because the PS3 continues to be being the most feature-rich, well-balanced console you can get these days

>> Brush your teeth, it's the law! <<
2525 comments| 361 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 4, 2012
I bought an Xbox 360 at launch in 2005 and haven't had much experience with a PS3 since. However it's gotten to the point where the PS3 1st party library could no longer be ignored and I caved. Coming from Xbox, I've been really impressed by some things and really disappointed by a few. Here's a simple list of things you might want to know if you're coming from Xbox-land:

Positives:
- Silky smooth graphics: The PS3 has a pure horsepower advantage over the Xbox 360 and when developers choose to take advantage of it (usually SCEA titles) it really shows. Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance all look really amazing and there's never a hint of any slowdown or hiccups, which is more than I can say for Xbox. When it comes to 3rd party titles, they're on par with one another but 1st party really shines on PS3.

- XMB is a revelation: Particularly as compared to the latest iteration of the Xbox dashboard (or as I like to call it, ad-palooza). The XMB is elegant, smooth and intuitive and the ads are very, very few and unobtrusive. When I play my PS3 I feel like I own it, when I play my Xbox I feel like Microsoft does and they're just letting me borrow it.

- Free online features: What makes me angriest is that I've dropped $250 bucks on the cost of Xbox Live over the past few years and having used both XBL and PSN, I really regret spending that money. How Microsoft convinced me that I need to pay THEM to watch Netflix and YouTube, I'll never understand. Break the chains.

- 1st party games: Sony really has done amazing things with it's 1st party studios over the course of this generation. Resistance, Killzone, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Infamous, Heavy Rain, God of War, and the list goes on. While Microsoft was doing interesting things the first few years of Xbox 360, it has since devolved into year after year of Gears or Halo.

- Media player: It's kind of ironic, but my PS3 is much better at interfacing with my Windows 7 PC than my Xbox is. Actually, it's not even the interfacing part, it's that the PS3 will play anything I throw at it, whereas the Xbox refuses to play even M4A audio files. Also, the entire PS3 media player interface is much more pleasant form selecting a file to the music visualizations, PS3 wins.

Negatives:

- Game installs and updates: Good god, on average it takes about 10-20 minutes of installs and updates before I can play a game on PS3. It really is ridiculous and there's no way around it. I can't understand why Sony thinks the update system they have in place is acceptable, it really isn't. Espcesially as compared to the quick, seamless updates on Xbox.

- PSN store: Ugly, unintuitive, and a mess. That's all I have to say. Granted, the latest version of the Xbox store isn't great but it's better than this mess.

- 802.11G: Even my iPod has 802.11N. Get with the times, Sony.

- Controller: This may be a matter of personal preference but after a few weeks of PS3 only gaming, going back to the 360 controller was an incredible feeling. The Xbox controller is so much bigger and more substantial and the buttons feel great. Now if we could only do something about that D-pad...

- Controller charging: A pain in the butt. The cord they give you is about 3 feet long and your PS3 MUST be on to charge the controllers. And if you have a Move controller, nav controller, and DS3 it's a mess.

Hope that helps as you make your decision. Love my PS3 so far!
on December 28, 2010
A lot of people like to use the excuse of getting a Blu-ray player to justify their purchase of PlayStation3, it's a very good justification.
Like advertised, it does everything a modern entertainment center would. High Definition movies and gaming, online surfing capability, movie streaming from Netflix for the subscribers, and plays music pretty well as well. Now with the bumped-up hard-disk drive, you could store most of your games data, downloaded movies, or music files without having to worry for a few more years. Especially games that requires 4GB of space like Heavy Rain, my brother-in-law simply had to get a new 500GB Hard Disk Drive for $80 to replace his old 40GB system, that was just about 3 years ago. So with the 320GB, you probably won't need to worry about anything until they come out with PlayStation4.
I bought it for Christmas for our new apartment, and it came in much earlier than I thought. Amazon did an amazing job with the packaging as always, no complaints at all and yes I ALWAYS shop at Amazon before I shop elsewhere. I don't think I need to be recommending this to anyone since they probably already know that it would be a great buy. For those who don't download movies as much, the 160GB version would be a cheaper and more practical alternative.
on January 5, 2012
PS3 Slim 320GB (CECH-3001B) is one of the latest in production line and it's a great console in my opinion (well except lack of ability to play PS2 games, none PS3 Slim can). Sony has tweaked and refreshed hardware in this model, it is 5.7lbs now compared to prior 6.6lbs. Power rating set at 200W, - 30W less than previous model. The lights from Power and Eject buttons has been removed to draw less power. This model has also implemented AACS (Blu-Ray standard). Non-issue for HDMI users but disaster for people who use Analog (AV) connectors. PS3 Slim CECH-3001B hardware configuration: 45nm PCU, RCX GPU, 256MB XDR main RAM and 256MB GDDR3 VRAM, 2.5" Serial ATA 320GB HD 5400rpm, 2xUSB 2.0 ports, Ethernet IEEE 802.11b/Bluetooth 2.0, 1xHDMI output, 1xAV output, 1xOptical Digital output, Resolution: 1080p;1080i;720p;480p;480i. I have also older PS3 80GB (Fat) model and had a chance to compare both side by side during Portal 2 gameplay. First of all they both have intercooler fans (don't be fooled by others). Original PS3 "Fat" has bigger fan and produce more noise (but bigger does not always mean better cooling). After couple hours of gaming the back of Fat PS3 was blowing much hotter air than Slim PS3, which surprised me because Slim has less ventilation openings. On the other hand Slim produce more noise while attempting to read CD/BD. Loading time and graphics were identical. At first picture on Slim was whitish (less contrast) until I went to PS3 Display Settings and switched RGB from limited to full. So, excluding ability to play PS2 games Fat PS3 looks nice and firm but performance wise not as good as Slim. In addition Slim has newer HDMI port 1.4 compare to Fat 1.3, which produces much better sound especially with 7.1 surround setup. For those who planning on upgrading HD's I wouldn't recommend going over 5400prm hard drives, 7200prm produce much more heat which could be critical point for your system.
on March 3, 2014
As much as I love the PS4 and XBOX 360, the PS3 is still the ideal home entertainment system for me by far. Far less restrictions and extremely flexible. If you have already bout a PS3 there is no need to really invest in another one even if it is for an upgrade. But if you are looking for a cheap console, the PS3 slim is the smartest way to go. You can plug in external hard drives (That is a Fat32) and watch movies, listen to music and look at pictures. The PS3 has Netflix and Amazon that you don't have to pay extra for whatsoever, unlike the XBOX One or XBOX 360. It runs incredibly smooth and I have yet to experience the PS3 crashing on me or giving me any kind of headache outside of videogames being . There is no real reason to purchase any of the new current gen (Ps4, Wii U, XB1) consoles now unless you are like me and you suffer from the idiotic "gotta have it now" mentality when it comes to videogames. You will get way more bang for your buck purchasing the PS3 than any other console out right now.
on May 21, 2016
Received the item after a lengthy customs, the box was so small and realized instantly that it was definitely not enough protection for this item (one layer of thin bubble wrap). Item does not work, took it to a Sony store to have them check it out and they say that the motherboard isn't working. Also noted rust in the USB ports. For some reason they sent scratched up cd's for Xbox, nothing good.
review image review image
on January 10, 2014
Bought mine used from EZ Corp and was incredibly disappointed in its condition. The power cord was cut and chopped very sloppily to fit into the ps3 (they clearly used a ps1 power cord) and 2-3 bottons on the controller didn't even work... my advice, stay away from ez corps used products
on June 15, 2012
If you are one of those guys that used to game - back at School or College - but have lost touch for almost a decade - and you are wondering if you should go in for a gaming console - then read on.
I have been in the same situation - and have asked myself the very same question. I've advanced in my career and I am now in a place where I have a little time where I can indulge myself in fun activities. Should I go out - play paintball or laser-tag or visit a few places - or should I game? Going out could be great - but I'm not super-rich - therefore I can't go out all the time. With price of gasoline where it is - should I spend that amount of money to do something fun? And what about traffic - after all I am at L.A - could there be a more bad place for traffic. Whether it is the 110 or the 134 or I-5 - traffic sucks.
Should I put out 300 USD for a gaming console - back at school & college I used to get CDs and games from friends. True - that is a good question. But times have changed. PC games are doing as good as they always were - just fantastic. But, there are somethings you may find more useful in a console. You may put in 300 USD & go in for a better configuration on a gaming-laptop - higher RAM, a separate graphics-processor, a powerful CPU chip. You will have to look into the nitty gritty details - including the speed of the bus (or interface) that connects various units inside a computer. You have to weigh it out - do you think you can get more bang for the buck - 300 USD - on a console or on a machine. I did this research & decided a console was better for where I was.
Why not XBox? First - it is Microsoft - the same damn name that has ruined countless hours of my efforts (both at work and at non-work activities). I used to have a Windows-based cell-phone - and not just a laptop or a PC. My personal distaste of MS lead me to straight to PS3 or Wii. Wii is great - but when I checked the game titles that I was interested in, PS3 fit the bill.
For me, PS3 seemed the best fit - it may be different for others. I placed the Order at Amazon & the product was shipped & delivered on-time. I also purchased GTA - and as soon as I powered up the unit (& the controller) I was off to my GTA PS3 experience. It was good - I liked it.
And since then, I've not looked back. I currently own GTA, BF3 - and (thanks to gamefly) I have played COD Black-Ops, COD MW2 and a bunch of other titles.
MN
on January 3, 2013
I finally decided to write a review despite the fact that I got this thing in 2011. Whats more to like? Blu Ray, free online, hd, netflix, EVERYTHING, well almost. 10/10, sorry for being simple, the ps3 is just so awesome.
on January 25, 2014
This thing arrived in perfect condition. The great thing about a PS3 is the ability to use it as a media platform, which helps in justifying the purchase with a significant other who may not be as excited about the ability to play awesome games. Not only does it play Blu-Ray, but you can use it with Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Instant Video. The only disappointing thing is that there's no Pandora App and I was not impressed by the built-in music app. Another cool thing is that you can download most PS1 and PS2 games if you're feeling particularly nostalgic.