Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on March 26, 2014
The PS4 is a well-built machine that gives you a lot of horsepower at a relatively low cost, especially when you consider the fact that its predecessor, the PS3, launched at $200 more for the primary SKU. While it doesn't have many exclusive games at the moment, you're buying into the PS4 for its potential. As Sony demonstrated with the PS3, they know how to create great games with characters you care about, not just soulless experiences that are, sadly, flooding the market on mobile devices. If you want high quality gaming experiences with cutting edge visuals, well-realized worlds and characters, Sony's developers have mastered that craft.

As for the hardware itself, I've had no issues with it. There have been some complaints about the blue light of death error, disc read error, and some HDMI issues, but these issues seem to be within the acceptable failure rate for a new game console. Sony's competitors have also had issues reported with their consoles on the internet, so no matter which piece of hardware you buy, there's always the possibility that it could be a lemon, though it's not likely. With my experience, however, the PS4 was easy to set up and get going. The hardware does get a bit warm when running a disc, but if you turn it off in standby mode the fans will continue to run until it has cooled down, then the fans will turn off, so that's nice.

As for the controller, it fits well in my rather large hands and feels comfortable during long play sessions. With that said, it's not without issues. I have noticed that the analog stick covers are a bit cheaply made and can often start to wear off if you're rough with the controller. It's a bit of a shame that the controller can have some issues because otherwise it's a very nice controller overall.

And as for the games, there aren't a ton of exclusives, but there's enough to satisfy you. My game recommendations are as follows:

Infamous: Second Son - One of the best looking games out there, if not the best. Absolutely stunning open world environment.

Killzone: Shadow Fall - Not my favorite Killzone game, but definitely still worth playing. It also boasts some impressive graphics.

Warframe - It's free to play and it's great fun.

Thief - Criminally underrated. Not perfect but I love it. Great atmospheric stealth action.

There are more games that you may or may not like, but those are some that I've enjoyed the most.

Overall, in my opinion, the PS4 is a very nice system that I can recommend to any gamer looking for a new console.
11 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on February 23, 2016
I warily bought this product open box for a steep discount, and I could not be more ecstatic! I play a LOT of video games, and this system is everything I'd hoped. Powerful, sleek, runs quietly, functions perfectly - I am a very happy consumer. I do everything from playing The Witcher and COD to streaming Netflix and HBO to shopping on PSN, and this system is stellar across the board.

Bottom line: I thought "How can it be any better than the PS3? As a broke post-grad, should I really invest so much money?" And the answer is a resounding YES - If you love PS3, this system will seem spectacular and is absolutely worth the money.
5 people found this helpful
on January 9, 2017
Very satisfied with the product, my grandson is so happy.
review imagereview image
61 people found this helpful
on July 12, 2017
I bought a used version, it works, was considered "used in good condition" -- this thing barely has a scratch on it, eve if it did have scratches, it's sitting in a dark area of the entertainment area anyways, I plan on laminating it so it looks a bit brighter in the darkness , probably use some vinyl material. Controller 🎮 is good, cables are good, the unit is working, including the disc player.
review image
3 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on July 15, 2017
I'm a PC gamer first, a portable Nintendo gamer second, and anything else is a far and away third.
We got this thing is mainly for PS4 exclusives and to serve as our BluRay player.
I'm glad I got it for cheap.
This thing can get loud on some games, with the fans running as fast as they can to keep the thing cool.

If you are serious about getting into the PS4 ecosystem today, get the PS4 Pro.
If you don't care much, yeah, try to find an old PS4 on the cheap. It'll be fine.
2 people found this helpful
on November 15, 2017
I know you have to expect issues when you buy a 'used' console, but reselling your garbage is another thing entirely.

Quite simply, the console didn't work. On the rare occasions it actually managed to start up, I couldn't play more than 15-20 minutes before a blue "haze" covered the screen and the system became nonoperational. The only way to fix it was to pull the plug, which (of course) caused more data loss and subsequent crashes. I had to return it for a refund.

That said, I will commend the company (JMS Holdings) on their excellent customer service. My request (and the actual refund) were processed very quickly, and I got the entirety of my money back. That matters, especially when you're dealing with a high-price item, and I appreciate it.
2 people found this helpful
on March 9, 2018
i still remember that day October 15,2013. I went to a local Best Buy in line with literally 200 people in NYC. After 3 long hours(sorry no more ps4s). Went home so disappointed but quickly came on amazon. Amazingly that green light said "in stock" literally saved my entire night. Came with 2 day free shipping and was at my door. It was at that very day that amazon has become my go to place for shopping pretty much anything.
It's now March 2018 and after owning this launch PS4, a Sony 4K tv with a PS4 pro and a PS4 slim for my bedroom along with over 100 games....I still think this is the most beautifully designed PS4 there is of all models despite it not having 4k. It's glossy finish, it's side light bar, it's loud fan during big games and beautiful edges make it sexy.
One person found this helpful
on August 1, 2016
Went with sony back in 2014.. and i have had a great 2 years so far.

It did get loud after a year or so of use. At which i opened the console and there was a ton of dusk clogging the fan.

I use my ps4 for everything lol. Netflix ,youtube friends , video capture, streaming, .

I cannot play movies off a usb drive and i cannot play music off a usb drive.

So i dock a star , overall she is a BEAST
review image
11 people found this helpful
on June 17, 2014
As a big baseball fan, I wanted the the next-gen version of MLB 14 The Show which prompted me to buy a PS4. Now I can't wait for Sony to continue the tradition of bringing a slew of great exclusive titles to this thing, just like they did with the PS3 & PS2.

To go along with my PS4, I purchased a 1.5 TB hard drive to swap with the 500 GB hard drive that is included with the console. The console and larger hard drive arrived on the same day, so before even turning the console on, I swapped hard drives, and I would like to give kudos to Sony for making this incredibly easy. Now that I have a much larger hard drive in my PS4, it will be my main console for the generation, and will be the console I purchase most, if not all multi-platform titles on.

After having the console for a month and a half so far, I really enjoy it. The UI is great and easy to use, and the speed in switching from one game to another is a breeze.

I find myself gaming on my PS4 much more than I do my Xbox One or my Wii U.
9 people found this helpful
on January 12, 2017
Great Console. Reliable although it does not play PS3 games. This is not the 4k compatible playstation. Can download and play games directly from the playstation store and can use Playstation Vue if you subscribe to watch television programs. VUE also works like a DVR and will record programs even if your playstation is offline.
3 people found this helpful