Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon cbsaacflaunch cbsaacflaunch cbsaacflaunch  Echo Dot Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite The Evil Within 2 Shop now

on January 7, 2015
I purchased this from the seller GP&Associates. It is not an official Sony controller. It looks almost identical to the real thing, but the product sticker on the back is not the correct label, and the model number is not correct either. I've taken apart both this controller and a genuine Dualshock 3 controller, and the innards are vastly different as well. I've been severely dissapointed, so please be careful which company you purchase this controller from. The model number should be CECHZC2U, whereas this one is CECHZC2H
review image
1313 comments| 558 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 4, 2015
This is not the product I received, instead I received some generic thing that cost 11 bucks. I feel ripped off. I payed a price for a official Sony Controller, so no, I don't like being played with. Be careful of what you see on the picture and advertisement. I though the price was a bit low at $33, but though It was on discount or something, I checked and it was advertised as a Sony controller.
review image
11 comment| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 11, 2011
Product: Playstation 3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller, by Sony.
Rating: 4 1/2 stars

LIKES:

* QUALITY: In my experience, when it comes to controllers for the PS3, you pretty much get what you pay for. Over the years, I've owned a PS1, a PS2, and a PS3, and at various times I've tried 3rd party controllers in an attempt to add multiplayer capability at a more reasonable price ... and unfortunately, I've rarely been happy. As long as you can afford it, this seems to be the best controller you can get for the PS3 ... it has the best balance of heft, solid construction, good tactile resistance in the buttons and thumbsticks, excellent durability, good vibration feel, good communication range, reasonably fast charge time (2.5 hrs or less), and a long-lived battery.

NITS:

* Price: Authentic Sony controllers are expensive ... but as mentioned above, you generally get what you pay for.

* Charging Cord not included: You'd think that in purchasing a spare/replacement controller that it would come with a charging cord, right ? Nope. Sony deliberately omits it, and instead instructs customers to "use the one that comes with your PS3". I recently purchased a charging station to eliminate that bottleneck ... which was probably Sony's goal in witholding charging cords from their spare controllers.

* Minor design issues:
(a) when putting the controller down during active play, there's an occasional tendency for one of the L2/R2 buttons to activate if you're not gentle. A pair of small support feet on the front of the controller, placed just behind and below those 2 buttons, would solve that.
(b) I wish the charging cord connector port was indented slightly, to be self-guiding, to make connections faster and more eyes-free.
(c) L3 & R3 are too easily unintentionally activated while using the sticks for movement in many games ... case in point is Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, where you FREQUENTLY end up squatting in mid-combat, while maneuvering during a melee, which is very frustrating. They need to increase the activation pressure for L3/R3 slightly in order to solve that.

Bottom line: I've tried several other brands, and even though the Sony controller is the most expensive among them, it's also the best. Highly Recommended.
on October 26, 2017
This review is for a used controller; however I had no idea it was a defective controller... The controller's square button keeps activating even when the controller is not in my hand! This button activating repeatedly when I'm not touching it makes it nearly impossible to play anything. So lesson learned: just buy a new controller instead of trying to save some money buying used.
on July 1, 2016
The Dual Shock 3 is a solid controller, no doubt about it. Battery life is good, and while it's a little light and small for my tastes (I spent years almost exclusively using an XBox 360 controller), but that happens to make it much easier to handle for my son.

As others are saying, be aware of who the seller is. There are a lot of knock-off products that are not manufactured by Sony, and from the reviews, I gather they are typically not constructed nearly as well (I've had two Dual Shock 3 controllers for almost 5 years now with no problems, and just bought a third).

Also, be aware that even the official controller here sold by Sony does NOT come with a USB cable, so if you anticipate needing a cable to sync/charge your controller, make sure you pick one up in addition to the controller itself. I would recommend getting the 6' cable as it will allow you to use the controller comfortably in the event that you need to charge it while using it.
on March 2, 2017
Bought our kids a ps3 last year for Xmas, got them a couple of cheap controllers. Bad idea. They never worked that well, battery died quickly... They were dead within six months. Waste of money, sad kids, worthless controllers.
Now they're happy, these controllers work like the others were meant to. So glad we got 2.
on November 14, 2017
**I BOUGHT THIS CONTROLLER USED**

I bought this controller because a couple of my older ps3 controllers were starting to act a little funny (acting like I had pushed certain buttons when I had not and such). Every replacement controller I could find was either a cheap random off brand or a fake Sony controller and after no luck with either of those options I came across this one.

This controller works perfectly, is an actual REAL Sony PS3 controller and I have had no complaints what so ever.
on January 26, 2013
The Dualshock remains one of the true standards in gaming, and has seen Sony consoles through three consoles. I regret to say, however, that the Xbox 360 has one major advantage over the Dualshock, and as the title of this review says, it's the placement of the left analog stick.

Due to the way the controller is usually held, the primary areas your thumbs should rest are above the analog sticks. On the left side, this is the D-pad; on the right, these are the four face buttons. The right side works perfectly because of how often those buttons are used compared to the right analog stick, which is usually relegated to being your camera control in 3D environments.

On the left side, the area in question, the primary resting area is a legacy D-pad, which has almost no place in 3D gaming anymore, aside from being used for seldom used commands. (An example of this would be squad commands in first-person shooters.)

The result of this is that your left hand is always angled awkwardly on the lower side of the controller to access what is usually the movement stick.

Sony has indicated that they will retire the Dualshock for the fourth-generation PlayStation. In doing this, I hope they rectify this oversight. (I fear we'll get a mostly motion-based controller, which I fear will ill-suit hardcore games.)

Otherwise, this controller is built extremely well. The texture of the sticks, the smoothness of their action, the feel of the buttons -- everything is great. The use of standards like Bluetooth and a mini-USB charging port is also brilliant and welcomed.
on October 7, 2014
Here is the seller's description: "Controller is ACCEPTABLE, shows moderate to heavy scuffs / scratching to body. May have writing or stickers. **Textured rubber grip may NOT be intact on both analog sticks but all buttons have been tested and are functional."

The controller is fully functional as was described by the seller. Soft rubber is stripped from the analog sticks, again, as the seller described. The analog sticks themselves are chipped pretty chipped up; almost looks like a puppy got a hold of the controller. Casing for the right analog stick is chipped, cracked, and broken almost all the way to the back of the controller. Again, the controller is perfectly functional, but isn't what I'd consider in acceptable condition. "Moderate to heavy scuffs" is one thing, chipped analog stick casing and cracks in the body is another.

The controller arrived in a timely manner, and I wish I could give a better rating. Unfortunately, the seller has a differing opinion of what acceptable condition is.
on November 29, 2012
Millions of gamers around the world are all too familiar with this PS3 controller, so I won't get into any sort of boring details where that's concerned. It works just fine. I WILL SAY THAT YOU HAD BETTER MAKE SURE you only buy genuine Sony/PS3 licensed accessories, I foolishly tried buying one of those "replica" Japanese controllers off Ebay, and I GOT BURNED, BADLY. The controller would turn itself off, some of the buttons would stop working, and a whole laundry list of other unpleasant features including hilarious attempts at forging Sony's logos and trademarks.

One thing I have taken note of, which is why I didn't give this a 5-star rating, is that at least once a week, AFTER a full charge, the remote control will flash low battery, and I'll have to plug it in.