Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 13 reviews
on August 2, 2011
I am a homeschool mom to three little girls and I recently began searching for ways to use technology in our classroom. I'm not talking about internet searches for curriculum reviews or "educational" games to occupy the kids while I get a grasp on my sanity; I'm talking about learning to create digital "artifacts" and portfolios and learning to connect with other educators beyond my current homeschool forum. I'm NOT tech savvy and I was struggling to find someone to explain the wild, wooly world of creating blogs, wikis, audio and video stories, etc.

I was following Mr. Fryer on Twitter when I heard about his book. I downloaded the sample and was hooked after reading just the table of contents (which is linked). This was exactly what I needed. I went on to read the acknowledgements and was introduced to several fascinating people via Twitter. I downloaded the entire book and stayed up till 3 am reading. Mr. Fryer uses many, many links on nearly every page. He links to definitions to explain new terminology to newbies, like me. He links to examples of programs, movies, apps, and more. Everything was very well explained.

If you don't own a Kindle, don't despair! I read through it the first time on my Kindle then the next day I downloaded the Kindle app to my computer. I've been re-reading the book on my laptop in order to access the audio and video links as well as the websites.

I have definitely had fun "Playing With Media" since I started reading this book only a couple nights ago.
on August 7, 2011
Wes Fryer, author, Playing with Media - a fabulous read,listen and view!

Like many of you I saw the Tweet where Wes mentioned that his ebook was ready. It was late and I was all ready to turn in for the night, but I wanted to get this ebook right away, so I clicked to Amazon, downloaded and began reading. I am so glad I started reading this right away, as I am getting ready for back to school, and I do my best planning and thinking at night.

With the cover image, by his youngest child Rachel, I was hooked or you could say engaged! Then the purpose "to inspire and empower", had me taking notes and planning where in my classroom I would introduce some of the digital storytelling tools for my students to add to their digital toolkits.

To begin with Wes has a chapter dedicated to Tips for Reading and a glossary that my 82 year old mother could understand. Although this could be mundane, ever the storyteller, Wes, gets the information across in an entertaining way.

I like how Wes has examples to illustrate his ideas, which leads the reader, inter-actor, teammate, actor, playmate, viewer, listener, and creator to engage with this ebook. Wes gives all of us permission to play in the sandbox. He gives us strategies to try as we move along in the book. He gives us enough history so we are grounded and understand that " we learn deeper when we actively DO rather than passively watch" , ( Wes Fryer, Playing with Media).

His comments about testing, Common Standards, NETS, and 21st Century Skills are woven into the storytelling journey with compelling statements about how we need to incorporate digital media in Transformational ways. Once you begin reading or listening or interacting with this book and begin creating, you will be transformational and part of this story!

Wes thanks for this wonderful inspirational ebook, I will begin by creating the Flickr group 180schooldays , a public book where you and your classrooms can begin the year long journey of a photo or image a day. Join the Flickr group 180schooldays and tag your images with #180schooldays. The power of the crowd going deep into new and transformational interactive learning.
on August 4, 2011
I'm reading "Playing with Media: simple ideas for powerful sharing" by Wesley Fryer on my Kindle. This book, in my opinion, should be required reading for principals, academic coordinators and most teachers across the United States who continue to struggle with or just flat out ignore 21st century learning tools and strategies. Fryer's rich infusion of graphics, links, video and creativeness makes this book an inspiring and powerful experience for the reader/listener/viewer. It's virtually everything you'd expect from a "new" book. "Playing With Media..." virtually lifts the bookshelf! Thanks Wesley.
on June 2, 2013
I love the information in this book. I want to involve my students more in creating with media, but I don't have time to stumble my way through apps or services to determine which ones are the best for what I want. This book recommends great apps, great services, and great activities to help a busy teacher move forward. Great resource.
on November 22, 2012
Wesley Fryer is simply amazing. This book is checked full of ideas and resources with enough explanation to implement immediately and know why. Every teacher wanting to integrate technology into their curriculum, and do that with purpose needs this book. Check out Wesley's, blog, Moving at the Speed of Creativity too. [...]
on January 16, 2014
This book is inspiring on many levels, especially because it is educationally influenced.

Glad I bought this book as a resource.
on August 20, 2012
This book is FULL of practical ideas for incorporating web resources into your classroom. A MUST read for teachers wanting to build technology into their lessons.