Jimi Plays Monterey / Shake! Otis at Monterey (The Criterion Collection)
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Jimi Hendrix and Otis Redding arrived in California virtually unknown. Returning stateside from London, where he had moved to launch his musical career, Hendrix exploded at Monterey, flooring an unsuspecting audience with his maniacal six-string pyrotechnics. Redding, venerable star of Memphis' Stax record label, seduced the "love crowd" in one of his best-- and last-- performances. Jimi Plays Monterey and Shake! Otis at Monterey feature the entire Monterey sets of these legendary musicians, performances that have entered rock and roll mythology.
One of the most startling, exciting live performances in rock history is presented here in all its glory. The Jimi Hendrix Experience were already making a name for themselves in England but were little known in the States when they appeared at Monterey in June 1967; that all changed after this gig, which saw Hendrix and his trio play an electrifying mix of originals ("Purple Haze," "Foxy Lady," "The Wind Cries Mary") and covers ("Hey Joe," "Like a Rolling Stone," and the climactic "Wild Thing," in which the guitarist set his instrument on fire). Also included on this DVD is Shake! Otis at Monterey Otis Redding's stunning performance at the famous festival.
- New high-definition digital transfers, supervised by D. A. Pennebaker
- New 5.1 mix by legendary recording engineer Eddie Kramer, presented in Dolby Digital and DTS
- Commentary on Jimi Plays Monterey by music critic and historian Charles Shaar Murray
- Two commentaries on Shake! Otis at Monterey by music critic and historian Peter Guralnick
- Excerpt from an interview with Pete Townsend on JImi Hendrix
- Interview with Phil Walden, Otis Redding's manager from 1959 to 1967
- New essay by David Fricke
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top customer reviews
This year was the 40th anniversary of this version of Monterey Pop
Festival, and these two artists definately left a permanent impression
on the music scene of that day. Otis Redding was one of the most vibrant
and powerful singers ever; and this recording; along with back-up bandmates Booker T & the MG's (feat. Donald "Duck" Dunn and Steve Cropper
of Blues Bros. fame) was one of the best live sets ever filmed.
Jimi's performance was nothing short of spectacular as He wowed
the crowd with guitar work few had ever seen until this day-
I heartily recommend this concert dvd.
SHAKE! The great Otis Redding doing his thing at Monterey!
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- CDs & Vinyl > Rock
- Movies & TV > Criterion Collection > All
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > DTS
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Documentary
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Music Videos & Concerts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Romance
- Movies & TV > Indie & Art House
- Movies & TV > Music Artists > Hendrix, Jimi
- Movies & TV > Music Artists > The Beatles > Ringo Starr
- Movies & TV > TV