Jimi Plays Monterey / Shake! Otis at Monterey (The Criterion Collection)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
- New high-definition digital transfers, supervised by D. A. Pennebaker
- New 5.1 mix by legendary recording engineer Eddie Kramer, presented in Dolby Digital and DTS
- Commentary on Jimi Plays Monterey by music critic and historian Charles Shaar Murray
- Two commentaries on Shake! Otis at Monterey by music critic and historian Peter Guralnick
- Excerpt from an interview with Pete Townsend on JImi Hendrix
- Interview with Phil Walden, Otis Redding's manager from 1959 to 1967
- New essay by David Fricke
Top Customer Reviews
The sound is great. I don't have a 5.1 system yet, but I will soon. This will probably be the first DVD I try in it. It sounds so good on stereo, that I can't even imaging it sounding better.
Very impressive upgrade from previous versions.
The concert speaks for itself. It is a classic. This is my favorite Hendrix concert video by far. The songs are great and the performance is mind-blowing.
I have had the VHS tape and the vinyl copy of Monterey.
The vinyl recording was very good as was the VHS tape. Finally its out on DVD.
There is nothing new here that has not been released before. Jimi Hendrix collectors like myself have to have it on DVD as well though. This of course is the performance that started it all. This concert is legandary to say the least. Jimi pulls out all of the stops. You will never find a better performance by Jimi Hendrix anywhere else.
What does set this apart is the Otis Redding performance. Otis does Shake along with I've been Loving you too long, Satisfaction and Try a little Tenderness.
There is also an interview by Pete Townshend as he recollects the festival and the legandary coin toss to see who performs first and who has to go on last. John Phillips gave his account and Townshend's acount is a little different. Townshend says the late Brian Jones actually tossed the coin. I guess we will never really know for sure who did.
This is a worthy addition to any collection........enjoy
This year was the 40th anniversary of this version of Monterey Pop
Festival, and these two artists definately left a permanent impression
on the music scene of that day. Otis Redding was one of the most vibrant
and powerful singers ever; and this recording; along with back-up bandmates Booker T & the MG's (feat. Donald "Duck" Dunn and Steve Cropper
of Blues Bros. fame) was one of the best live sets ever filmed.
Jimi's performance was nothing short of spectacular as He wowed
the crowd with guitar work few had ever seen until this day-
I heartily recommend this concert dvd.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The most excellent footage of Jimi Hendrix at his finest!
SHAKE! The great Otis Redding doing his thing at Monterey!
Being a 50 something, I did a report on Jimi Hendrix for my 8th grade English class. A Jimi Hendrix fan for life. What an awesome experience to see this show in 1967 Monterey! Read morePublished on December 28, 2013 by Jesse Driver
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- CDs & Vinyl > Rock
- Movies & TV > Criterion Collection > All
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > DTS
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Documentary
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Music Videos & Concerts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Romance
- Movies & TV > Indie & Art House
- Movies & TV > Music Artists > Hendrix, Jimi
- Movies & TV > Music Artists > The Beatles > Ringo Starr
- Movies & TV > TV