Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 3, 2012
Playtex Diaper Genie Essentials Diaper Disposal Pail
This was a great buy for the price. However a couple things wrong. We ordered two Playtex Diaper Genie Essentials Diaper Disposal Pails. When we got them both boxes were missing the 30 pack pail and 270 cartridge refill that is stated in the amazon features to come with as well as the diaper genie box itself says right on it it has a 30 pack and a 270 refill. Then when opening and examining both units one has a defective close flap that is supposed to snap back shut after the soiled items are pushed through it. It was a relatively easy fix. Once examining the one that was put together properly we found one of the tension springs had bent and fallen out of the mounting hole. So now we are having to fight with Amazon and playtex to send the remaining part of the order that was excluded from both pails.
I would suggest getting this item because it does work well when in proper working order. However I suggest buying refills at the same time you buy the pail so the product can be used right away seeing as Playtex has decided to short their boxes all the parts.
on July 16, 2009
This is definitely a nice-to-have baby item, not a must-have. Though all families are different, we have gotten good use out of our Diaper Genie II. We only use it for dirty diapers, as we throw plain wet ones out with the regular trash. It contains the smell (except for a momentary whiff when you open the lid) and isn't an eyesore. Since we only use it for the dirty diapers, it doesn't fill up as quickly as it would if we used it for all diapers. The benefit to this practice is also that the liners last a LONG TIME.

The lid took me awhile to get used to doing 1-handed. At first I had to use both hands, but I've finally figured out where the sweet spot is to push when I open it. Also, you really need to be sure to empty it before it overfills- or you will be squeezing everything to get the next diaper in, and may end up with a mess... if you know what I mean.

All in all, I do recommend this product to new moms. I'm not sure if the new version, the Diaper Genie Elite II (with the foot pedal to open the lid) is any good, but I can vouch for this product!
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on January 24, 2012
Yes, I'm lazy and have two of these. :) One for downstairs, one for upstairs. (I have two kids and own a very busy business that I manage from home, so I do not have time to go up or down stairs every time my son needs his diaper changed.)

When pregnant with my daughter, we had bought the Baby Trend diaper pail. Yes, it uses regular grocery bags which is a money-saver, but do you really want to smell dirty diapers all the time? What's the point if you can still smell them? We got rid of that and tried this without regret.

First, it holds a lot. We empty them once a week for trash day. Because we have two we typically do not have to empty them more often than that.

Second, the spring-loaded mechanism creates a pretty tight seal so you don't smell anything. Yes, when you put a new diaper in there you might get a whiff of another dirty diaper that was already in there. The smell disappears quickly.

I think it's funny that one reviewer wrote that this is unsanitary because you have to push the diaper down and your hand touches the inside bag. Well, A) the bag also moves down with a new diaper (if you're using it correctly), so your hand is probably touching clean bag. B) Aren't you going to wash or sanitize your hands after changing a dirty diaper anyway?

I highly recommend these diaper pails. NO complaints here!
on April 28, 2011
This pail system is the best.... by far. Don't listen the other naysayers. Don't get the Diaper Genie II Elite.... buy this one. The Elite has feet that will break off. I own two of these now, and neither has been any trouble at all. Bag Installation is so easy, the tear away bags are very easy to use. I've become accustomed to these now, so I can install a refill in about 15 seconds. Once the can gets full, I can remove the old diapers, twist, and tie the bag in about 10 seconds. If you're a grandparent, you might not like to have to lean over or get on your knees to do changeouts. That's the only negative to this one. Buy it. Don't buy anything else.
2 helpful votes
on October 22, 2007
This diaper genie II is so small and discreet - it fits perfectly in our nursery. We started out using the genie II when we brought the baby home from the hospital and she was using cloth diapers. We stopped using the genie 2 because we were going through one refill a week - those cloth diapers were really bulky and it just was getting expensive going through so many genie 2 refills.

Then...we noticed that the poopy diapers were really stinky after a day or so. We also switched back to disposables at 5 months and we remembered we had the genie and brought it back in. Voila! We use it just for the poopy diapers and a regular trashcan for the pee diapers. That way we can stretch the refills for as long as we can, and still get the fresh benefit of the genie 2. We end up taking the diaper trash from the genie about once every two weeks (since it's poopy diapers only).
on November 15, 2012
I am using this for an aging parent who has an incontinence problem. With all the baby boomers coming of a certain age, this would be a great marketing tool for Platex. It has cut done on the ordor and frequency we go to the garbage for disposal. I would recommend this product to all caregivers.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on April 22, 2008
I wish I had gotten another Diaper Champ but I didn't... I liked the idea that the dirty diapers would be bagged. I thought this sounded like a great product. I read some positive reviews. Here's how it works though. You change the baby's diaper. It's a messy, wet #2. You roll it up as best you can. Then you reach over to your genie. With one hand you open the lid. The other hand then has to push the dirty leaky poopy diaper into the genie. You actually have to push this nasty diaper down pretty far. The problem is that to get it past the stink gate, you have to apply force... causing contents to spill out onto your hand. It's disgusting. It's like they didn't actually test it on babies. My diaper champ is so much better. You drop it in the hole and flip the top for it to go down. Enough said. Diaper Genie II sucks. I regret the purchase.
19 helpful votes
20 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on August 25, 2008
I bought this for my mom when she is staying with me. She uses depends type disposible incontinence underwear. I ended up taking the spring trap off as it kept falling apart. With adult diapers there is more material to put in the pail so I agree with others that the spring load was not handy. I have found that the pail holds more since I removed the spring and I just use scissors to cut the bag and take the bag to the trash. One disk of bag material lasted 1.5 weeks. Even though the spring was missing there wasn't an odor after the door was closed. I admit I use my cat's litter box deodorizer to help with the odors. I wish they made one with a larger opening for the adult size diapers.
2 helpful votes
on October 12, 2010
I was skeptical about this diaper pail before and we used a regular trash can for the longest time. However, as our baby grew older, her diapers starting smelling worse. We got the Diaper Genie II since we got tired of throwing out her smelly diapers daily. It really does block all odors even after a week!!! And you can really pack in the diapers before having to change the bag. The only thing I dislike is tying off the bags for disposal and the really expensive price of the refill bags. We don't mind the hand flip lid at all, so that's why we didn't go for the Elite diaper pail with foot pedal.
on June 8, 2012
The design of this product is really ingenious. I've seen other products (maybe even earlier versions of this product?) that have complex mechanisms that flip over but the way this diaper pail works is very simple and straight-forward. There's not a lot to break and the mechanism/cutter works very well. We're getting a lot of mileage out of the diaper genie refills so no complaints there. The plastic housing itself feels a little flimsy/light. Other than that, it's a 5-star product.