Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Please Send Money: A Financial Survival Guide for Young Adults on Their Own
Format: Paperback|Change

on April 5, 2018
This is for my granddaughter heading off to college this coming fall. I know she and her family will find it most useful!
on November 20, 2012
I bought this book for my nephew but ended up giving it to my son and new daughter-in-law. It is geared more to young couples than young singles. Definitely a must read for the newly employed young person and it could also be helpful for more mature people needing some help figuring out their finances.
One person found this helpful
on February 22, 2013
My husband's youngest sister is just at the age where she's adventuring out on her own, this book provided a good financial framework for her to make sense of the world without looking to mom and dad for help.
on September 21, 2008
Heard a great write up on the blog from Simple Dollar. Gave it to my daughter who will be going away to college next year. Haven't been able to read it yet with her.
on August 9, 2002
I checked this book out at the library and found it very interesting. Some of the youth don't know about money management because no one is showing them. Our eductaion system tells us how to work hard for money; it doesn't teach us how to make money work for us. So many of us, even when we become older are grappling with debt and Congress recently passed a bill that that doesn't help make the financial situation any better.
This is a good reference book for both young and mature adults. It helps the young how to manage money and it is also helpful for parents as a guide to teach underage children.
We need to be aware of credit card companies that market to the young preying on their financial illiteracy. It is up to us, parents and teachers to take action and let them know about money management before they come out of college with additional debt they don't need.
3 people found this helpful
on December 9, 2002
"Please Send Money!" is a great book for high school seniors to read before they go off to college and are confronted with financial situations of their own.
This book does a great job of relating that material to the age group for which it was written. The book also includes many personal stories and accounts which help the material come together. I feel it would be worthwile for anyone, especially college students, because it explains how to best maintain a positive financial status. The best thing about this book that is it's easy to read and doesn't drag on.
Even though this book is about a boring topic, money, it actually kept me entertained. The facts in this book are very necessary to know, and it taught me a lot. It made me very fearful of credit cards and bankruptcy. This book gives useful advice about maintaining a balanced budget, while still leaving room for fun. It also talks about investing early in the stock market.
The most useful section of this book is the chapter on saving. No savings is a common problem for students and this book deals a lot with how much and when to start saving. I liked how this book gave solutions for any teenager on any budget. It gave options such as investing only $2 per day and still becoming a millionaire by age 65. It seemed like there was someone for everyone.
Another very important chapter is that about investing in the stock market. The book discussed "not putting all your eggs in one basket" and diversifying your money. The best part about this section was the book did not use only "Wall Street Lingo" but also common place words. It was easy to understand, and that is a huge plus for a financial book for college students.
This book was definately worth the [money] because in the end it could help you to make millions. The only bad this about this book was that it made me very fearful of credit cards and debt. :)
8 people found this helpful
on April 9, 2008
"Please Send Money" has saved me so much time and money! Secrets and habits of living in our material world solved... or at least explained so that we can benefit from others experiences before finding ourselves upside down in the financial world. Before learning how to drive a car, shouldn't we learn how to purchase one? Before spending four years in college shouldn't we learn how student loans and credit card debt will effect our lives? Shouldn't we know what salaries are available for each profession before we head that direction? It's all here.

If Money were no object or an easy topic to discuss with friends and family we would all share this knowledge early in life. Unfortunately, the stakes are high and those in the know have the advantage. Get that advantage for yourself, family and friends by reading and discussing this book with young adults and those of us who could use an easy to follow, interesting and engaging refresher. Learn for yourself many of life's most valuable financial secrets.
3 people found this helpful
on May 7, 2001
Personal finance is a subject that is rarely taught in school, yet managing money can be more important than making it. Although this book is geared towards young adults, it has great take-home value to anyone who has not yet achieved the net worth they desire. The book contains all the finance principles most people were never taught that enable them to get ahead financially in life. The book covered all aspects of "personal finance 101" with lots of real life stories. Yet, it was well orgainzed into topics so that you could just read the chapters that interested you such as, "Do You Run Out of Money Before You Run Out of Month?".
PLEASE SEND MONEY should be required reading for every college student or anyone going out on his or her own. I have already bought additional copies as graduation gifts. This book is a must read to develop financial habits to last a lifetime and action items to take if you are not as financially as well off as you would like to be.
8 people found this helpful
on April 27, 2003
This book was good to read. It is very informative for young adults. I know that this will be very helpful to me next year at college. I liked this book because it was very helpful in demonstrating what should not be done when creating personal financing. The only reason I did not give this book five stars was because while it did say what not to do, I only noticed four instances of when the book mentioned a person doing something correct from the start. Throughout the book the author, Dara Duguay, would tell a person's tale of how they screwed up their financing. Then she would explain how that particular situation could have been better handled. In each of the four instances of someone handling their finances well, it was merely to compare that person to another that didn't do so well.
Overall I liked the book. It gives good advice and is rather easy to read. The lessons the book tries to convey are understood quite well by its target audience (teens). I am glad that I read this book, I will take to heart most of the lessons it teaches.
7 people found this helpful
on December 7, 2002
Moving out on your own for the first time is stressful enough, without having to constantly worry about money. However, as Dara Duguay says in her book, Please Send Money: A Financial Survival Guide for Young Adults on Their Own, money is a huge problem amoung young people. I was surprised to learn how many college students accumulate thousands of dollars in debt, often getting in over their head by using credit cards irresponibly. Although personal finance can be confusing and full of dangers for young people, this book shows readers how to avoid common problems and set up and manage a budget. Duguay teaches about the dangers of credit cards, loans, and how to deal with bankruptcy. Through many real-life stories, she illustrates that financial problems can effect anyone. However, by creating a budget for yourself, learning about loans and credit cards, and overcoming the temptation to spend too much, young people can learn to handle their money responsibly. I would definitely recommend this helpful, easy-to-read book to anyone, especially young people, who want to learn more about personal finance.
5 people found this helpful