Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18PP_gno

Showing 1-10 of 67 reviews(4 star). See all 423 reviews
on January 9, 2017
Originally purchased as a character development tool for my writers shelf. Recommended by: Jeff Gerke, this book is a great resource.

Keirsey simplifies the Myers-Briggs Temperament types (INTJ, ENSP, etc.) with an easy to take test. You fill out the test and then turn to the correct chapter to find out all about your characters personality. This is invaluable for writers, as it takes a lot of guess work out of makeing believable characters. I do confess to using it on myself. I took the test and read the corresponding pages to my Myers-Briggs type. It is scarily accurate. Everything right down to my three dates rule is outlined under INTJ. I'm a little sad to learn that i'm not quirky but actually quite normal. But then the book told me to expect that too.
on November 21, 2013
This book has some great descriptions of the different types. This book also focuses on grouping certain types (Guardians, Idealists, Artisans, and Rationals). This grouping helped me to better understand the different qualities in a way that I had not been able to grasp before.

The first book I read that used MBTI was The Art of Speed Reading. I noticed that some of the type descriptions in this book are quite different than in that book, and describe some of my friends of family better in one than the other. Neither seems more accurate across the board.

What's interesting to me is that in the Speed Reading book, my mom's type came out to be ISFP. The description it gave fit her perfectly. So when I received Please Understand Me II, I looked at the ISFP type, which didn't really sound like her. When I read the INFP type, it described her perfectly. When I reflect on it, she's definitely more N than S, but of course there are gray areas.

I really liked how it described the different types' approaches to "romantic" relationships. I use quotes there because I, as Rational type, prefer a Mindmate rather than a Playmate or Soulmate, which does not sound romantic at all to me. It is definitely true though.

I would recommend this to someone who is interested in MBTI.
on October 13, 2017
I had originally found out about the book due to reading about various theories of personality. After having read the work of Carl Jung and Piaget, this may seem like light reading in comparison. However this book was a catalyst in my youth for when I very seriously began to think about all the different types of people around me and it helped me to start flexing those muscles and was one of the first steps in understanding how different the minds of others could really be and also how to deal with that. Supposedly this was the reason behind the book getting written, if that is true, then the author can claim at least a modest amount of success.
I usually don't give much credence to books of this nature, but found enough suggestions for personal growth and other insights that really resonated to keep this one after taking a leadership training that used the Myers-Briggs inventory. The information within keirsey's book complemented that exposure and helped me understand why it was time to move on from my old job snf what qualities to seek in a new opportunity that would allow me to play to my strengths. While that is not the intent of this book, it did help me to reflect on myself and my values and interests in a way that not only informed my job search, but has enabled me to find greater satisfaction. This book may not be for everyone, but if you are honest about yourself, you may find some valuable nuggets that help explain what makes you and/or others around you tick.
on December 6, 2015
The depth of insights given for these personality types is remarkable. It is too much really to absorb in one reading. But i have found i associating the 4 distinct personality types with applications in mating, parenting and leadership--this then helps in getting a handle on each individual personality type.
A great help in creating in depth characters for fiction!
on April 28, 2016
Fun to figure yourself out - but maybe take (not just this) book with a grain of salt - we are not rigid creatures and I feel that "ourselves" cannot be "explained" in a book. Does that make sense? It is a neat way to find out more about yourself though! I am having fun. (:
on January 31, 2013
This book describes in great (maybe overly great) detail of the impact of character and perceptions on the interactions in various aspects of life. It assumes the validity of the Myers Briggs personality personality index as well as awareness of one's own type.

It was obviously written as a series of individual articles which have been accumulated into the book. This makes the style very repetitive in places.

Overall an excellent book that prompts honest reflection on yourself, how others see you, and how you can change your interacts with others to get a different outcome.
on November 19, 2015
this guys writing is not the easiest to follow, but his view on type theory is at least interesting. MBTI is pretty cool so give it a shot.
on October 20, 2016
interesting and informative
on December 12, 2014
Keirsey is complete--that is, dense--and very insightful. I find his analysis, focusing on the combinations SJ, SP and NT, NF, as more useful than just the 16 types. Keirsey gives "real life" ways that personality manifests itself in social conditions. I find this useful, very useful