Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kidz Bop All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

This worked great, and I hate to dock a star. However, I could not go from the USB port on my laptop to either the VGA or DVI inputs on the monitor with only the connections given with the product. To do that, I needed either a Male to Male VGA or DVI adapter, or just a normal HDMI cable. Luckily, I have spare HDMI cables.

So here is what I had to do:
1. Their USB to mini-USB cable to their box
2. Their DVI to HDMI coming out out of their box
3. My HDMI cable, to
4. their HDMI to male DVI, into the monitor.

That's a lot of connections, but it is working. Make sure to use the screws to snug up the connection into the monitor. Most of the time I don't have to do that, but this DVI male adapter would not maintain a secure fit without screwing it down.

Other than that, it was just a matter of arranging things and installing the driver. I did power down and back up after plugging into my USB port, just in case. Next I installed the driver from their mini-CD. As soon as I then snugged up the DVI adapter to the back of the monitor, I was immediately in business.

If their product page made it clear that you would need your own cable or adapter somewhere in the connection process, I would give this five stars. I consider the operation once that is accomplished to be five stars.
on December 10, 2013
Went out on a limb and purchased this device to test with an external monitor on my MacBook Air (also used with a MacBook Pro).

Basically amounts to having an external graphics card that provides you the ability to add more monitors to your setup then the internal graphics card supports, with this device specifically working over USB 2.0. Device plugs into your computer via USB, monitor plugs into the other end. Device is powered with an external power supply.

If your device doesn't have USB 3.0 ports and you need more monitors, then this is the device for you. If your computer has USB 3.0 capabilities, buy the USB 3.0 variant instead. The increased throughput is well needed for seamless quality.

That being said, DisplayLink provides the drivers for these devices, regardless of how they're rebranded (multiple companies sell extremely similar devices). As of the writing of this review they work much better on Windows then on Mac OS X as Mavericks significantly nerfed multiple-monitor setups over DisplayLink (check out DisplayLink's website for specifics).

Device comes with an abundance of connectors, including a VGA and HDMI adapter, which was very nice. I'm currently using it over the built-in DVI capability, but have tested it with both adapters.

Biggest point is that if you have USB 3.0, spend the extra money. I thought I'd be OK with 2.0 but was sorely mistaken.

Your mileage may vary, depending on your computer's processing power and ability to render and extend its displays. Don't expect seamless video on older computers, or the ability to multi-screen game. My personal use cases work well (static documents and webpages).
on March 2, 2013
I have mixed feelings about this product. Below are my pros/cons and then a brief summary:

Setup: 13" Macbook pro(early 2011), 1xthunderbolt, 2xusb 2.0, onboard video, mountain lion, 2x Acer s230hl full hd 1080p hdmi monitors.

Pros:
*using hdmi (havent tested vga) I get 1080p from using this adapter.
*easy to find and download latest drivers via their website.
*comes with hdmi, dvi, and vga adapter so you can carry it in your laptop case for easy on demand presentations, etc. (great for business)
*unfortunately its one of the only solutions on the market that isnt too pricey.

Cons:
*finicky (explanation below)
*slight lag (as expected from usb 2.0)
*price seems kind of high (saw something similiar on monoprice after I bought this for less but who knows)

Explanation:
As others have mentioned there are certain things you want to do to make sure your monitor works the way you want it to.
1) Do turn off screensaver
2) if you unplug and plug in your adapters often (as I do), I found that its BEST to install the thunderbolt attached monitor 1st, then the usb (the one using this adapter) second. I have plugged them all in several times and booted up my mac to find that every screen (including mbp screen) is all gray. Then I have to unplug, hardboot, and plug one by one in. Pain in the a:s.s.
3) Drivers are "meh". Not bullet proof yet, you may have different results. they are "alpha"

You wont be able to run video on this monitor unless you want unsynced audio. Even youtube video is finicky, but web surfing isnt bad at all. Social media feeds, reading, reference material, etc...Thats the purpose of this monitor.
55 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 24, 2017
I have an HP zbook and 3 external monitors. I use this to connect the 2 monitors that needed this as the zbook only has one monitor connection. The monitors are an NCC 25" and the other is a Samsung 22" new monitor. One thing to note is that to not have any issues, I use this product to connect both monitors. There may be an issue using different connectors as indicated in the instructions but I haven't tried that out - and don't intend to. :-) The last ones I had lasted a few years so I purchased these again. Great product! I'm not sure if the issue was the monitor or these so I just replaced these and the monitor as my troubleshooting time was limited.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Ordered two. One worked with a clunky install of drivers, the other was dead on arrival. Quality control for these devices doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. When you intend to use these in a professional office, you don't want to be worried that one (or both) of your monitors are going to completely fail.

This is covered in other reviews, but important to mention: These adapters do not appear to have any actual graphics processing power. That means that when you use two of these things, your computer is trying to use all it's horsepower just to properly display things on two monitors. Be aware of that if you intend to do anything graphic-intensive or video-intensive.
33 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 25, 2015
Update: I lower the rating of this product, it is getting on my nerves. I'm a programmer, I don't use it to watch video or anything that would make the screen changes too often too quickly, I'm only writing code. It crashes more and more often and it is getting very annoying.

I have to say this one works better than the others I tried, it does flicker when the display changes very quickly, but I understand it is normal, and it doesn't do it too often to become an annoyance. BTW, I don't use it to watch any video , I only use it to write programs, but still flickers if I do something that changes the display too quickly. I wouldn't say it is perfect, but it does work and works as expected.
on August 26, 2013
After upgrading to Windows 10, these devices completely lost it. I had two touch screens on two of the Plugables but the touch functionality refuses to work unless the DVI cable is connected directly to the desktop. I spent hours downloading drivers and trying online solutions to keep the same setup, but ended up spending my weekend rearranging cables so the touch screens could work normally. The Windows 10 start menu also does not appear unless the primary monitor is connected directly to the desktop.

Also, with GTX 970 graphics cards, Plugables have flickering problems that were solved in Windows 8 by reverting to an earlier version of Plugable software. Windows 10 refuses to install the older software and although the flickering isn't as bad, the screens occasionally black out when I'm working on something important.

Since 2013, I increased my workspace to 8 monitors hooked up to a desktop. Of the 6 Plugable devices, 4 still work great, one had the end connector fall off, and another started creating flickering screens. I was a bit disappointed that the warranty was for only a year and there wasn't much that could be done to fix or stand by either of the broken devices.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

08/26/2013: The product has some installation troubles but fortunately, Plugable has excellent customer support. However, their recommendations were fruitless and I ended up solving the problem on my own. I knew that running 6 monitors from a laptop was not a good idea but my laptop had the specs to support it and it works fine today. I power the device out of the Plugable 10 USB Port Hub.

**If you're looking to run 6 separate monitors, this is your solution.** The Matrox TripleHead2Go solution takes your 3 screens and runs them as 1 large monitor. That is not ideal for productivity, and the Matrox has limited resolution settings. Anyways, some common initial installation errors:
(1) Constant restarting and crashing: The software takes forever to install and requests a restart on the first few attempts. After the computer restarts, if the device is still plugged in, the device may crash the computer.
(2) iPhone and other USB storage devices can crash the hub: I didn't realize how sensitive the hub would be to plugging in additional devices, even when I had 4 monitors hooked up. Plug your iPhones and large storage USB devices into a separate port not connected to the hub.
(3) Wireless does not always load: Should your computer not crash, the wireless function will not start if the devices are plugged in, at least for my laptop. To get it to work, I had to configure the monitor settings, unplug the devices, shut down, power on, and then plug in the devices (see below).
on May 9, 2015
I was so excited to receive this from Amazon but was quickly disappointed because it's performance on the second monitor is really really slow. When moving around windows or scrolling a webpage in the second monitor - it's really really dragging slow. I have a Windows 8.1 laptop I7 Quadcore cpus plus 16GB memory. What is wrong with my setup? Any help is appreciated. Otherwise I might just returned this.

Update. I am bumping the rating of this product to 3 stars because I found the cause of the delay. I connected this device to a plugable 7 port hub which is then connected to a plugable switcher for the purpose of sharing one monitor as a secondary monitor for a Desktop PC and a laptop. Both computers running in win 8.1. I realized I didn't need the hub but I just need the switcher to share the monitor. When I removed the hub the performance improved considerably on the second monitor.
I was able to get this to work on my macbook air with yosemite using drivers from the site (although they were for mavericks or an older OSX). Works with a second monitor, except the delay when going anything is very noticeable. it slows down my primary monitor when I try to use effects that affect both screens such as mission control. It did play low quality video alright however. I did not realize this was USB 2.0 until later, and I believe that makes the difference. I sent it back, although for secondary monitors that don't have much action going on it will work.
on September 18, 2017
I am running Windows 10. I got an email from the seller before I received the product to download a driver. Then when I received it, there was a CD included which, was, I assume, the driver as well. I just plugged the USB in and connected the DVI cable to my monitor and it worked immediately without installing anything. Then I went to display settings, hit the identify button, configured my monitor setup and I was good to go. I am using my laptop as my main screen, have an HDMI cable running to a monitor and this device is running another monitor.

If you own a laptop and want to connect multiple monitors, this thing makes that task very easy. I guess time will tell if it actually lasts for a long time. But for now, I couldn't be happier with this little nifty device.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.