Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 29 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 40 reviews
on April 30, 2013
I loved going to this restaurant but recently moved to Philadelphia so was really happy to buy the cookbook. Sadly, most of my favorite recipes were not included because they were "too secret". The Mac and Yease recipe was "too proprietary" to give out, the Jerk Tofu "recipe" told us to buy the Plum Bistro Jerk Tofu or substitute any other seasoned tofu,and there was no recipe for Jamaican Wrap with Smoked Tofu. Many of the recipes asked you to buy their packaged tofu product and no interesting spice recipes were given. Maybe this is a good book for someone who has no other vegan cookbooks (I have many), but I don't understand how a restaurant would decide to publish a cookbook and not provide recipes for their signature dishes. If you feel your recipes are so proprietary, don't publish a cookbook advertising your name without having your key dishes. Momofuku doesn't do it, Ottolenghi doesn't do it, Plum Bistro shouldn't do it. I'm returning this book.
1818 comments| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2013
This is one of the most beautiful cookbooks I own. Gorgeous photos, nicely spaced text, and very sturdy. I think this book might last me forever! I bought it because I loved visiting Plum Bistro in Seattle and was hoping to recreate some of my favorite dishes at home. As others have noted, the Mac n' Yease is nowhere to be found, which is really heart breaking, but I thankfully found new favorites to enjoy out of my kitchen. Once I had the Basil Soy Ricotta made, I could cook so many things! The Peppered Agave Figs rocked my vegan cheese plate, and the Pesto Plum Pizza was the simplest, fanciest pizza to ever come out of my oven. It tasted like pure summer bliss. The rest of the ricotta complimented heirloom tomatoes on sandwiches and appetizers.

It's nerve-wracking to a new chef to be told to use a specific ingredient and being unable to find it, so I really wish Makini gave that a little more thought before recommending packaged ingredients you can only get in Seattle. I was concerned that I couldn't find the extra-firm silken water-packed tofu she recommends to make the Basil Soy Ricotta, but was successful (I think? I have nothing to compare it to) using Wildwood's silken water-packed tofu. So don't be deterred if you can't find specific ingredients. If you're even slightly close, despite her warnings on substituting, I think you'll still have a delicious meal.

Her recipes are simply elegant, and I will turn to "Plum" again and again when I want to elevate my cooking.
on June 6, 2017
The recipes are easy to follow, but the time necessary is a luxury most humans don't have in my sphere. The restaurant is among my favorite places to eat in the world (which is why it's a good thing for my wallet and waist size that I live on the opposite coast). I don't often go to Seattle, but when I do, you can be sure I'll be eating at one of their shops. If you have any desire to throw a vegan dinner party, this is a need. And yes, every omnivore I've brought here (most kicking and screaming and wishing I didn't have hold of their hair) has remarked later how joyful the experience was after they took their first bite.
on May 10, 2013
I don't usually review things on Amazon, but seeing as this book has a couple of negative reviews I felt compelled to add my 2 cents. I have never eaten at Plum Bistro in Seattle, so fans of the restaurant may need to adjust their expectations.

I received this book and I must say that I am in LOVE with it. It is definitely my kind of cookbook, fancy yet simple if that makes sense. I've made these three things so far: grilled spelt pizza w/ pears and ricotta, blue corn pizza w/ pesto-grilled heirloom tomatoes & ricotta, and raw tostadas w/ spicy strawberry avocado salad and cilantro relish. Words can't explain how much I adore these 3 recipes and how much I am looking forward to making more from this book. My favorite of the 3 is probably the pear pizza, but each dish is delicious and unique. I love the way this chef knows just how to incorporate fruit into a savory dish, without the dish becoming too sweet or the fruit becoming over-bearing. Each dish was full of flavor, yet the ingredients were all relatively simple and easy to find at the market. The flavors in each thing married perfectly and the worst part was trying not eat everything at once....one bite being better than the next. And everything seemed so fancy! Grilled pears and ricotta....blue corn pizza crust--which, btw, is wonderfully tender and tasty. (Arrowhead Mills makes blue cornmeal if you're wondering). The raw tostadas are not totally raw, but are 90% there and are delicious. I am generally not a huge raw fan, but these were just delicious perfection.

Another thing I like about this book is that if you make up batches of the ricotta and pesto, you can use them for multiple recipes throughout the book so your leftovers don't go to waste. They are also both very easy to make and adaptable to what you have.

I have heard some complaints that this book calls for a few ingredients from Plum or that are Plum brand. Well, I used the tofu I had on hand for the ricotta, which was not what the recipe called for. I used my common sense to decide whether my extra firm water packed tofu would suffice and the adapted recipe worked beautifully--so much so that I may never follow the actual recipe exactly. So, when the book calls for Plum's smoked tofu or for jerk tofu, here's an idea....smoke or jerk your own 'fu! It's very easy and if you don't have a smoker or any ability to smoke the tofu, then simply bathe the tofu in a smokey marinade of liquid smoke and a few other ingredients and bake it in the oven. It's not difficult at all. Same thing with making it jerk, make or buy the seasonings, marinate the tofu and bake it up. Bam, no need for Plum brand if you don't have access like I don't. Maybe people would like it better if the book offered up a DIY recipe, but I consider myself a seasoned cook so I don't really worry about stuff like that. This isn't really a great cookbook for a beginning cook, vegan or otherwise. This is one of those books you get when you're a little tired of the same old/same old vegan cookbooks that are out there. There are a ton of wonderful ones out there, but many of them have recipes for the same stuff and I think a lot of them lack the creativity and complexity that this book DOES have. It's refreshing to receive a vegan cookbook made for a "foodie" type person and that's what this book is.

This book is also NOT for people who are sensitive or allergic to soy. The whole first part of the book introduces dairy replacement recipes which are mostly made out of soy. I have no problem eating healthy, minimally processed soy in moderation, so this is not something I mind at all.

I hope food lovers and adventurous vegan cooks looking to raise the bar a little give this great book a chance to wow you like it did me!
on August 11, 2015
We ate at this restaurant recently during a trip to Seattle and loved the food. Thanks for a great recipe book with prompt delivery and a wonderful used book.
on February 10, 2017
Great recipes. Very tasty!
on July 24, 2013
I have been to the restaurant in Seattle and was amazed by the food. When I heard they will have a cook book, I wanted it.

I tried several recipes so far and they were all good (some of them need a long preparation time, but the taste pays back).

UNFORTUNATELY the recipe from the famous and super delicious 'mac'n yeas' you get in the restaurant is not included (but a very good one with thyme). Also other good dishes are missing, thats why I just can give 4 stars, because it is disappointing, if you do not live around the corner to go there, than you buy their book to make it at home and the important/signature dishes are not included. But besides that the food is GOOD!!
on June 26, 2014
Not being a vegan, I bought this book for some of the grain salad recipes included in it. They didn't disappoint.
on June 7, 2013
THis is a great cookbook with clear instructions,lovely photography and compassionate recipes.I thooroughly enjoyed this and look forward to many years of delicious meals!THANKS
on August 3, 2013
Having recently become a vegetarian, my son treated me to a lunch at Plum Bistro in Seattle. It was one of the best meals I have had in a long time. It was delicious and extremely pleasing to my taste buds. My son, who is not a vegetarian, also enjoyed the meal very much. So when I saw they had a cookbook, I was thrilled to be able to get it thru Amazon. It has so many delicious recipes and I can't wait to try them. I highly recommend this book to anyone that wants to enjoy a healthy meal that tastes like a gourmet meal rather than your run of the mill recipe. Great for everyone who enjoys eating a savory meal.