Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 200 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 217 reviews
on February 26, 2017
I keep this gem in my pocket instead of my iPhone all workday long. I focus on one chapter a day and every time I'm feeling anxious and stressed I read it and instantly feel calm and centered. I may read it five times or I may read it five hundred times. Like seated mediation, I read it when I need to return to a place of calm. Reading this book is like stepping outside for a breath of fresh air. It's small and concise yet infinitely powerful!
on June 28, 2015
This is the most amazing book of little nuggets of wisdom I have ever read. A friend recommended Pema Chodron's writings to me because she says that some of the things I say sounded like her. (Which is a HUGE compliment to me. I can't claim much in the way of wisdom, but I freely share what I've learned from AA. Reading Pema makes me wonder if Bill and Bob might not have had a Buddhist pal. There's definitely some common ground there. Goes to what I've always thought; no matter the spiritual beliefs one may have, love and compassion are a major component. However I arrived at that belief, I'm grateful.
on December 17, 2008
Part outline, part entree, part reminder of all that we have read earlier from Pema, the notes we would have taken in her class (were we enlightened enough to do so). The more extended teachings -- on happiness, fear, uncertainty, on identifying the hook of habitual behaviors and choosing otherwise, on seeking out rather than avoiding the life in which you are "continually thrown out of the nest," on the difference between repressing and refraining -- remain essential, and references to those sources are provided in the back of this little pocket book. Yet this diminutive, pithy collection is like an extended slogan, or the stone pocketed on the shore during your last night at retreat, a convenient yet powerful reminder of something good and sane that can help guide you through times -- such as these -- when goodness and sanity are up against some pretty ancient thinking and habits.

It's the nature of things to change, Pema tells us, "and you don't have to freak out about it." Said another way, that might take a book's worth of observation and explication. The reader should come to this collection aware that it is a sampling, a distillation. Some of the teachings are complex; some of the students are not ready; times change, receptiveness matures. Pema wouldn't tell you to "abandon hope," if it were not good for you, so be willing to learn more about that, if it seems at odds with your expectations. Start here, and then use the references to read further.
on December 10, 2016
So Fabulous! I'm giving these out as stocking stuffers. Love to bring Pema with me when I travel - the book is tiny and the reflective questions are a great way to use alone time on planes, trains - or even a park bench. You go Pema! I'm a big fan!
on July 22, 2017
This book is amazing for when you just feel like crap and you think you should have it ALL together by now and what's your problem etc The firs 11 pages really have power to comfort when you're in some crappy place and want to blame yourself. Great perspectives!
on January 22, 2013
Just open this little book to a page, any page, and you'll find thoughtful and compassionate words to help you find your way on your journey through the complexities of life, loss, joy, and suffering. Pema never places herself above or beyond us. She is with us on the sometimes mystifying journey that we all make as we lives our lives, one day at a time.

I keep this book by my side, knowing gentle guidance is always available.
on March 26, 2016
Someone bought this book for me as a gift and I love it so I bought it for someone else. When I am feeling upset, or lost in life, I read jist a few pages of thos tiny book and it helps keep me grounded, einds my usually impatient self to be calm and kind. I recommend this book for any busy body wjo is feeling overwhelmed by life, lost, or just wants to feel good
on June 6, 2015
This pocket book has proven to be perfect for taking a quick break during the hectic day. I'm a business professional who has a lot of responsibility at my job, and I've found that this book helps me to quiet my mind for a small amount of time during the workday. The content in this mini book is designed into small one or two page segments, thus making it easy to just spend 5 minutes or less reading one. And the wisdom Pema Chodron gives is calming and reflective.
on June 3, 2017
Great book to keep handy for inspiration at a moment's notice!
on March 1, 2017
One of the most inspirational little books I've ever owned. I've given it as gifts and people wear out the pages from using it every day!