Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 78 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 88 reviews
on July 28, 2015
Pros
1. It works.

Cons
1. I don't like how it doesn't use the traditional 3 prong with the ground, fortunately most chargers are 2-prong.
2. Only got 3.93W max, compared to 8.93W when connected to the wall outlet. Used a Drok power meter to measure this. Also compare this to the 5W I would actually get from an Anker solar power using only the sun with no cranking required.

Comments
I bought this for emergency situations, as a backup power source whenever I couldn't use the solar charger. Power output was only 3.93W charging an Anker 10,000 mAh power bank, I used an OEM Samsung phone/tablet charger. I noticed that I got less power from an Asus tablet charger, only 2.9W, so the type of charger will matter.
on December 5, 2015
I live in San Francisco and this is for my Earthquake emergency kit. My family, friends, and neighbors all covet this little contraption. My son laughs and says "Mom, the next time we get tumbled we can set up a kiosk and sell time on this thing." I'm thinking I'd barter time on the hand crank generator for bottled water and food. We've been watching too much Walking Dead I think. But dig it... this hand crank generator eliminates the need to have a stash batteries (which are not sustainable), or have radios that are hand cranked, or have to wait for sunny days (remember we're in San Francisco) for a mobile solar cell to power up. Now that we're addicted to our smart phones and tablets a device like this is a must have in areas where there are regularly occurring natural disasters.
on March 16, 2013
I live in Florida, so we have many thunderstorms, not to mention hurricanes. This is wonderful to keep your cell phone charged. It does not turn easily as the item charges, the more charge the more resistance, Don't try and turn the crank really fast, it works better when you turn the crank a consistant and moderate rate. Works on iphones and ipads.
on July 22, 2016
This is a really neat charger that works with most devices' wall adapters. Could have included a USB port but works well with USB Charger, Vinsic 2.4A. Easy enough to turn. I find this a good backup to a solar panel for cloudy days. Will take awhile to charge larger items but it will keep charging for as long as you care to turn it.

Build quality appears very high, plenty sturdy for reasonable use.

For some reason, this won't charge a DBPOWER 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter Battery Booster Phone Power Bank - doesn't seem to work with the DBPOWER's wall adapter.
on November 19, 2012
I'm only going to say what I feel is true about this product.

Yes it works. I hooked it up to my iphone charger and it charged as long as you kept cranking. Not only will it charge my phone, but will give me one heck of a arm work out. So in an emergency situation, I got power to charge my phone, but it will take some time.

Construction of the item? I wouldn't throw it across the room, or drop it on a concrete floor for fear it might break. The plastic casing is fine, but I wish the crank and handle was made of something more sturdy. I would have preferred to have more of a polymer type plastic, something that will last longer and is more durable. As for holding the item, its funny to have a rubber band on the item to give you some extra grip to hold it. I would have preferred to have something more ergonomically friendly, and something that would make the holding of the item and cranking the item easier, after all, no cranking, no power. So for prolonged cranking to generate energy, it slows me down and it gets me tired fast.

Overall: Its not a bad idea to have this handy little tool around in your emergency kit since you never know when you will need some energy, and you never know where you will be when you need it.
on April 18, 2017
This hand cranker really works. Just takes a lot of patients and time to charge small objects up but in the end it does save your power bill from going up and it helps when you are out somewhere and your phone dies and it needs charging.
on December 17, 2012
Many right decisions were take to make this device happen:

* fully mechanical device
- no components with short life spans like batteries
- focused on doing one thing and doing it well

* made out of strong plastic - built to last

* standard outlet means compatibility with the broadest set of chargers

I tried it with a Sanyo Eneloop battery charger, a proprietary Sony camera battery charger, with a USB battery charger (charging my Nokia Lumia 920 phone) and it works. A solar charger could not charge my Eneloop batteries, but this can as it has just a regular power socket on it.

It even managed to power a set of 3 IKEA LED lights at once. Note that this does produce DC so if you have any device that demands AC (most likely something with a powerful AC adapter like a laptop) this won't work. I think you should be able to charge a laptop by downconverting the 120VDC to 12VDC and then using a laptop charger for 12VDC.

Overall, a great innovation and made in the US too!
on February 7, 2014
I have yet to really test this in a truly pressing situation. It does take time and effort to generate the power output—not for someone who is not predisposed to work. It's still a handy option to have in case of last-resort emergency situations. The built-in plug-in sockets are the big advantage along with the portability—no adapter issues to mess around with and compact enough for easy traveling.
on March 4, 2016
I watched review by Canadian Prepper which led me to buy this. Not disappointed. Although in his video he's grinding it out with both hands. Another option is holding the K-Tor steady with one hand (like on edge of table or a board) and cranking with forearm only (no upper arm or shoulder). This burns less calories and is easier. I bought 2
on December 20, 2015
You will need to keep a high rate of crank spin to get this to charge anything. you will give up because of the amount of time it will actually take to charge at the cost of your arm falling off. Not a good investment . I took it out my bug out bag and bought solar charger for AA products such as radio.. walkies and flashlights