Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Pocket Stylist: Behind-the-Scenes Expertise from a Fashion Pro on Creating Your Own Look Hardcover – January 22, 2004
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From Publishers Weekly
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
I will be for ever grateful to my grandmother for teaching me to recognize when a garment fits and when it does not. Therefore, my highest mark in this book goes to the two pages explaining how to tell if a jacket fits. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
If you want just one book to teach you how to be stylish, this is the one. If you want to further explore how French women dress, look at "Chic and Slim" by Ann Baronne.
This is without a doubt the fashion guide to buy. I have given a few copies as gifts and my friends loved it too.
What this book will tell you:
1. This book will tell you how to dress for your specific body type, including fabrics and lengths that will look best on you.
2. It will give you ideas on indispensibles, including where to buy them, where to splurge and where to skimp. It will also tell you how to go bargain hunting without looking like you did.
3. It will tell you how best to work with your tailor, what is possible, what is not.
4. I am not a plus sized woman, but if I was,this book would be a godsend in many ways. Since Farr was stylist for plus sized women as well, she does not focus on a `dress in all black ensembles to look your slimmest' as though every curvy woman is ashamed of her shape. She helps women make style choices that flatter her existing shape.
What this book won't tell you:
1. What accesories work best with what outfit- apart from the obvious that a low vamp, with a high heel and pants pegged to the heel will make your legs look longer and platforms look cheesy. It does not cover much ground with accesories except for vague generalities.
2. Most of the online resources it provides are no longer there (luxlook, americanfit etc)
3. It does not give you any detailed color advice for women.Read more ›
So I knew that fit was one of the big secrets of French girls' look and I became quite consious to buy thing that fit me, but until I read this book, I did not know where to look for exact exact fit and how to do alternations if required. Now this book answered all my questions. I have to admit that I needed to take time and concentration to understand and internalise what is written this book, but it is worth it! In addition, the book really convinced me to get rid of many things I kept for years without wearing because they do not fit me! Bravo! I strongly recommend this book to everyone, but especially to those who love and know fashion and clothes but feel they lack small something to achieve real sophistication.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I am a Wardrobe/Personal Stylist and this book has very valuable information on learning more about personal style, as well as what looks great on different body types. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Tiffani Palmer
It's a well written guide, but wish there's more information on uniquely shaped bodies, such as plus-sized women with large hips and chest.Published 2 months ago by Sonia Labby
I thought I knew my stuff, but it turns out I've been dressing the wrong body type. Clearly laying out how to determine body type is just one of the helpful items in this book. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Kenda
What I don't like about the book is the emphasis on the goal of looking taller and thinner. She says if you're petite, don't wear long skirts that go all the way to your ankles,... Read morePublished 5 months ago by MayBartram
Really enjoying this book! Just what I needed to organize my wardrobe.Published 6 months ago by G. Strayhorn
Just had a couple of weeks and already it has helped me pare down my closet to what really works and looks good on me. Doesn't over explain and doesn't talk about celebrities. Read morePublished 6 months ago by M.E.C
Good, practical advice. Everything from what to wear and where to shop for your body shape, to how to organize your closet and find a tailor.Published 8 months ago by Susan Van Slyke