Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

I have loved all kinds of poetry most of my life and even though I have read numerous poems that moved me, I cannot recall any that forced tears from my eyes, but many beautiful heart felt poems came close. In fact, many in this fantastic collection are very moving and heart felt.

This is a unique collection (Poems that make grown men cry, edited by Anthony and Ben Holden) of some favorite poems which moved numerous famous men from a wide variety of fields like literature, and film, theater, architecture, human rights and science. The one hundred men briefly explain about the poem and what moved him about the particular poem.

There are so many great and beautiful poets in this collection that this short review cannot do justice to them; however, a few examples include the following: A sonnet by William Shakespeare, Hokku by Fukuda Chiyo-ni, Frost at midnight by William Wordsworth, Last Sonnet by John Keats, Requiem by Robert Louis Stevenson, The Remorseful Day and Last Poems by A. E. Housman, Lullaby by W. H. Auden and The Mouth by Gwendolyn Brooks.

I personally loved most of the poems in this collection and if you are a poem lover this is one book you might want in your personal library collection.

Rating: 5 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: The Samurai Soul: An old warrior’s poetic tribute)
on January 24, 2015
A long overdue anthology for men who find tears-honest, but not mawkish-to be a powerful cathartic. Poetry is the art of saying in as few words as possible the otherwise unsayable. It seeks out our secret places and brings them into the light. Vulnerability s not always weakness but can become a source of strength, when properly harvested and honored. This collection is targeted at the man who has wrestled with those inner demons and emerged triumphant or at least with new hope. I recommend this collection to anyone who values their personal journey as also universal and of value to their fellow pilgrims. Isolation is the enemy, poetry the gateway to healing..
3 people found this helpful
on September 9, 2017
So far so good - meditative reading because poetry is not my "go to". This book was recommended by my 17 year old neice that has read it multiple times. "Out of the mouth of babes"!
on July 12, 2017
I was very pleased with the variety of poetry, poets, and men featured in this collection. I've had poetry anthologies before but this is the most unique and it gave each poem new insight and made it that much more meaningful.
on April 21, 2018
good addition to my shelf
on October 1, 2014
I have it on my kindle....great.....but,,,,I know that I am going to buy the hard cover copy. There is something about picking up a book of poetry and leafing through the pages and getting your eye caught by a word,,,a line,,,a title... and,,,a poetry book is a grand place to keep special notes from people.... Anyway,,,,the book is terrific,,,,and the background is interesting...why the poem was picked,,,,and the info about the writers.
on March 25, 2016
Bought for my husband thinking he would not read it. He is enjoying it and it has promoted many a discussion! Glad I did this.
on August 5, 2014
I read the words of the "choosers" with much interest. Overall, I didn't find the poems made me cry, grown man as I am. Isuspect that the crying aspect is very personal, and often very specific to the situation, which is difficult to communicate to the reader.I found I was familiar with a few, but also found some new[to me] poets that I reread several times. Overall there was a feeling of sadness, and termination with only a few offering hope and joy. For instance Cavifis poen Ithaca, which is a great favourite. I was pleased to read Audens poems also.
Peter H Brown.
on January 13, 2015
My father is a poet and reads a lot of poetry. Upon seeing the title of the book, he remarked, "Why do I want to read something that makes me cry?". I believe that he's enjoying reading the poems anyway.
on January 27, 2017
Great work. I gift this out often.