Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 350 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 436 reviews
on December 28, 2016
I have 2 Pogoplug devices (series 4 and mobile), both on paid subscription. For the past month, both devices have shown offline. Can’t get these up and running no matter what. Support is nonexistent. Absolutely no phone number to call. You can only submit tickets online. And the tickets I’m submitting online are automatically being closed. You get an email with a link to their QA section which is absolutely worthless.

Now out 2 paid subscriptions for the year and cannot get these devices to work anymore. They have completely abandoned their products, service and customers.
66 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2015
I replaced the Pogoplug software with Debian Linux to transform it into a Google Cloud Print server, because our HP inkjet printer wasn't Cloud Print ready. A couple of things to note about this device:

* The SATA hard disk drive slot on top (once you manage to pry off the cover) is pretty much useless. It uses a connector called USM (Universal Storage Module), which Seagate briefly supported. USM drives are rare and overpriced. Figure on using a USB drive, if you want to use this as a NAS server. It'll be cheaper and you're not locked in. I'm not using it as NAS, so I plugged a thumb drive into it and run Linux from there.

* The USB3 ports don't provide much advantage, because this is not a very powerful device to begin with. You run out of CPU first.

* Don't expect to use this as a Google Cloud Print server and a file server at the same time, without some side effects. As a print server you're generating PostScript, and that pretty much eats the little thing's brain for several minutes.

* Not much RAM. Only 128MB, so lots of processes are going to put you into heavy swap.

Upsides: It's very cheap, quiet, draws little power, boots from any USB device including a thumb drive, has multiple ports, and is easy to hack into and replace the existing Linux with a well-supported Debian ARM distribution.

Google "qui technology blog pogoplug debian" and "cloud print python" for the necessary bits.
on December 30, 2016
DO NOT BUY THIS DEVICE !!!

There is NO tech support other than web-based email. I outlined my problems in a tech support email, and all I got back was a form email pointing me to the FAQs and the KBs. I tried this THREE times. Same result. There is NO LONGER any SSH access. There is NO LONGER a checkbox for SSH (I tried several browsers). I tried the "curl" command that you can find on Pogoplug forums (to allow you SSH access). That no longer works on the newer firmware. I was able to connect a test USB drive. I was able to see my test files in the pogoplug.com web site (but only locally). There is no longer a free cloud service. You must buy one of their monthly packages.

After 3 days I could no longer see my test drive. I tried other test drives. NADA. Unable to SSH, I was able to RS232 my way in. During reboots there were lots of errors whizzing by. I gave up on pogoplug.com and tried to setup my test drive as a "LAN shared" drive. I used the ".cedata" file on my USB drive. This technique is available on the pogoplug forums. Even using this technique, nothing was visible from Windows Explorer. I know this method still works, as I have a Seagate Pogoplug that is 7 years old. It still works great and you can SSH into it. Finally after 5 days the RED light came on and STAYED ON.

As a Cisco and Microsoft engineer (for 22 years), I can chalk up my frustrations to "on-going learning." That is NOT true for most people. Save yourself some suffering. Get a NAS for a little extra money. Use Google Drive, Dropbox, O Drive, One Drive, etc. for your "local LAN <> Cloud" file share/access.

In the end I was happy. Amazon refunded my purchase price. The process was SO SMOOTH and easy. I love shopping at Amazon, and I have been a PRIME member from the beginning.

P.S. Just a tip...When you write a review for Amazon, type it into Notepad first. Then copy/paste. A web page can sometimes burp, and you will lose your typing work.
I have to say this Pogoplug Series 4 lived up to it's promise, and more. However I won't be using it.

My wife and I have done all of our home finance on Quicken since the early 1990s. We used to share one computer, then later we each had a computer and kept the Quicken file on an SD card. We would physically pass that SD card back and forth. Then we installed a WiFi router with a USB 2.0 port to attach a hard drive - a NAS. So for the past few years we've kept the Quicken data file on that hard drive, which we also use for backups. No problem except it takes my wife about 30 to 60 seconds to open the Quicken file via WiFi, while I can open it in about 11 seconds on my gigabit Ethernet from my desktop. Knowing the USB 2.0 is slow I thought I'd give this Pogoplug a try to see if it would be faster.

The Pogoplug arrived today. I plugged it into the AC power and attached an Ethernet cable to the router. I inserted an SD card with the latest Qicken data file. After logging into the pogoplug web site the device was quickly discovered and I could see the Quicken file. This all took less than 15 minutes. However as my intention was to use the Pogoplug as a NAS and not a cloud service it took quite a bit longer to discover the few steps needed to make the SD card show up as a mapped drive on my PC and my wife's laptop.

Here are the steps;

1) Download the Pogoplug Backup Software

2) Reboot the computer

3) Find the Pogoplug Backup Software icon on the start bar (hidden in my case) and right click on it.

4) Select Preferences...

5) At the top of the Pogoplug Backup popup select Pogoplug Drive.

6) Make sure the Pogoplug Drive is set to On (which is the default)

7) Select "Show a separate drive for each Pogoplug device"

8) Reboot.

You should now see any drives you have connected to the Pogoplug Series 4 device shown on your computer as a mounted drive.

Having followed all of these steps I now had an SD card with the Quicken data file in the Pogoplug Series 4, and a duplicate of that file on the 1TB hard drive connected to the USB 2.0 port of my router. So I could then bring up Quicken and alternatively load the Quicken data file from either drive while measuring the time to load the file into Quicken. The end result was no faster on the Pogoplus than the router/hard drive. If anything the pogoplug was a bit slower.

So for me I've spent less than $20 and discovered I'm better off with the setup I already had in place.

Still for anyone who wants a NAS interface this is a pretty inexpensive solution. The Pogoplug Series 4 has two USB 3.0 ports, one USB 2.0 port, an SD Card slot, and a SATA hard drive interface connector. So you can plug a ton of hard drives into this thing if you'd like to.

I have no intention of putting any of my data in the cloud but if you want to do that this device can do that too.

I did not test the backup software as I have my own backup method.

I do recommend this product.
on December 4, 2014
Great little platform to run archlinuxarm. I use it to run Infinitude (https://github.com/nebulous/infinitude) to control my network thermostat. It sits on top of my air handler and talks to the thermostat over the network,to my other HVAC devices through an RS485 USB dongle, and to 1-wire sensors with another USB dongle. The Pogoplug is a lot like a Raspberry Pi, but with a case and a gigabit ethernet(and cheaper). Highly recommended if you need a small low-power linux device to tuck in a corner somewhere and forget about.
on February 6, 2013
After being a satisfied user of Pogoplug Pink E02, I decided to buy this Series 4 to add to my toy collection. This series 4 is also very well supported by Arch Arm Linux community. It can be setup to do much more stuffs than what it is originally intended to do. With Arch Linux, this Pogoplug can be made to run Transmission P2P, Samba file server, DLNA server, Nginx Web server, PHP, MySQL, etc, etc. I love it!

Update Mar 28, 2013:

My Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive STBU1000103 fits perfectly well on the top SATA port of this Pogoplug series 4. For those who are not familiar with Seagate Backup Plus STBU1000103, be advised that you can take the USB 3 connector part off and it will reveal its SATA connector. Connecting through SATA port seems to be much faster than through the USB 3 port. (By the way, I am no longer using the Samsung SSD as the disk died on me)

Like what I did with my Pogoplug Pink E02, I have also replaced the Series 4 with Arm Arch Linux operating system. I am not sure if this can be categorized as "jail-break". Anyway, both my Pogoplug are running 365x7x24 non-stop. Don't worry, they draw very little power (less 10W each). The Arm Arch Linux community is doing a good job providing a free very stable and powerful alternative software to run on many NAS devices including Pogoplug. They also provides adequate step-by-step instructions on their websites. If you are technically inclined and don't mind foregoing your Pogoplug warranty, I would personally recommend Arch Arm Linux. The Pogoplug software which allows you to access files remotely on your harddisk runs as well under Arm Arch Linux. If you need your files to be backed up to the Pogoplug unlimited storage storage, you can certainly use the optional Pogoplug paid subscription service.

Update: March 31, 2013

Pros:

1. SATA port in addition to USB 3 and 2 ports
2. Great value for money/ very affordable
3. Low power consumption
4. Fanless and noiseless
5. Very compact size. Can be hidden inside a book case.
6. Gigabit ethernet port
7. Easily "rootable" which enable users to turn it into a Linux headless server.
8. Availability of the free Pogoplug app for iPad.
9. Free (as well as optional paid) cloud service.

Cons:

1. Slower processor. From the Arch Linux Arm website I learned that Pogoplug series 4 actually uses a 800Mhz procesor which is slower than the older Pogoplug V2 which use 1.2Ghz processor. Same also in the size of RAM (memory), i.e 128MB only vs 256MB of Pogoplug V2. I really wonder what the folks at Pogoplug were thinking when they decided to put slower processor and lesser amount of RAM on Series 4.
2. No on/off button. Not a big deal but an on/off like what Seagate Goflex Home has would be nice.
on May 18, 2015
This device by itself, with PogoPlug's proprietary software, is definitely not worth anything above $20 (especially if pogoplug pulls the plug on the free accounts). But, if you are willing to get your hands dirty, this device by itself can be one of your best investments. For $20 you can get your cheapest own private Linux box. If you are willing to void your warranty you can definitely change PogoPlug' system and replace it with Linux (ArchLinux or Debian). Once on Linux, you can install FTP/SFTP/FTPS, SAMBA, APACHE/NGINX, OWNCLOUD/SEAFILE/OTHERS, etc., and use this device as your now truly private own server.

If this device was sold with Linux I would rate it 5 out of 5.
If this device was locked to PogoPlug's system with no means to change the system I would rate it 2 out of 5.
My actual rating is based only on the hardware without the system.
on December 7, 2015
Note to the reader: I did not use the device as intended. I immediately installed Arch Linux onto the unit, which removes the PogoPlug functionality and makes it into a general-purpose computing device. This review makes no statement as the device's quality when using it as intended, and describes uses that may not be available in the product out-of-the-box, however it might be useful to someone knowledgeable enough to make the modification.

I keep all my "media" (videos, DVD copies, etc.) on a USB hard disk, and used to serve them to my network devices (smart TV, Roku, tablet) via a consumer-grade router with a USB port. Frustration after frustration with numerous routers (seriously, the "USB file sharing" in most routers is worthless) made me desperate to find something else, though.

Someone in a Web-forum recommended a PogoPlug with Linux installed on it as a cheap option to get my drives onto the network. Given that it was less than a $20 bill ($17 for me), it was the cheapest reasonable option. With a spare flash drive (for the OS) and a reasonably simple process (you'll need to know a bit of command-line-- how to Telnet, SSH, and have enough Linux knowledge to know what to Google), I'd managed to replace the stock firmware with Arch Linux, and had a general-purpose, if 1990s-cutting-edge, low-power computer at the ready.

I put NTFS-3G and Samba on to the system, so I could access my NTFS USB disks and serve them on a Windows share. It does have the problem that NTFS drives are horribly slow, as the driver is processor-intensive, and there's not much processor to go around. If you can get away with it, use something other than NTFS. That said, I mounted the disk with "big_writes" and was able to at least squeeze about 12-15MB/s out of it. Plenty enough to stream, and bearable for occasionally moving files onto my media drives.

I installed MiniDLNA to serve video to my Roku devices. The PogoPlug doesn't have near enough power to transcode, but if all your videos are in a format your players can handle, it can serve them up just fine. So far, so good on that account. I haven't been able to kill it yet. I did have the problem that the "scan" phase took forever on my huge pile of MP3s, but that was owing to the abysmal speed of the NTFS drive, I suspect.

Pros: Compared to other options, this has the advantage in that what you get is simple, standard and transparent (it's a bog-standard install of Linux on there), versatile (comes with a host of Linux packages available) but comes in a complete-enough state to get you running quickly and with few necessary peripherals, and cheap, cheap, cheap. Something like the Raspberry Pi is cheaper, yes, but this has a bit more pleasing form-factor and more integrated peripherals, for a more "just works" experience.

Cons: Processing-power-wise, this does come up short, even compared to many NAS devices, but it's been adequate to my humble needs so far. The most annoying gripe I'd have with it is that the boot process gets confused when there are multiple drives hooked up, and it will usually fail to boot unless you pull everything except the boot drive. This, in turn, means that you have to hand-hold it a bit if you need to reboot it. Apparently, there's a fix to this that I haven't tried as of this writing, where you can tell the bootloader to look for a partition name rather than always going to the randomly-decided /dev/sda1, but I haven't tried that. In my case, I've just got a shell script that mounts my disks and starts all the services (Samba, MiniDLNA) up, which I run via SSH session, after it's up and I plug the drives in. Someone smarter than me could do it a lot better, I'm sure, but I'm fine with that.

So, in conclusion, if you're looking for a cheap weekend hack-up or a teeny little Linux box to sit in the corner on for all the things such a box can do, this is definitely one to look at.
on December 15, 2014
I bought my pogoplug to replace an aging nslu2 that was heavily modded but it was getting to slow.
Before I bought it I made a little research and found out that this pogoplug can be modded like my old Nslug2; basically to install a newer version of SAMBA, a bittorrent client, a mt-daapd server to stream music to my devices and a dnla server.
Well, I used as intended for one year… but speed still an issue; I went for 1-3MB/s in the nslu2 to 5-10MB/s in the pogoplug… but working in photos in it was a pain and big files (>1GB) was a no go.
So in Install an 802.11ac router, AC wifi; GB Ethernet and upgrade the pogoplug to a NAS, speed problem solve; but was left with a pogoplug without use.
Then it bite me; the fear of losing GB upon GB of data and memories in my NAS and home computers; so I needed to install a Backup solution, not only form my NAS but for the entire computers home (three laptos, one desktop, one NAS) and my work computer where bad corporate practice doesn’t give me a backup solution.
Enter pogoplug V4 + Crashplan.
Takes a lot of time but it’s doable; works and I’m able to back up all the data I want from all my computers to this little device; it worry me the limited RAM in it, so far have back up 500GB worth of DATA, no music or videos and the device still holding up.
If you’re an IT guy and need a dirty cheap device to net backup using crashplan, rsync, samba, nfs of ftp the pogoplug is a nice-cheap way of doing it.
I did not use the cloud storage feature because that was not the reason why I bought it.
on October 31, 2016
Buyer beware. There is no support for this product beyond their knowledge base. The downloads page which claims to host a number of potentially useful applications only works for the products that tie you into their subscription services. If you attempt to raise a ticket via email or through the web page, tickets are closed automatically with a message to simply look at the knowledge base. Yes, set up was fast and the basic functionality appears to do what they claim although transfer speeds locally are painfully slow via the web front end. Be aware though, if you encounter any kind of issue, you're on your own.