Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,138 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,462 reviews
on February 12, 2017
Arrived within it's time-frame in a package much larger than was needed to hold a CD as seems to be the new thing for Amazon these days. I wonder if that is where our Prime dollars are now going? This was the number one request on my 12-year-old daughter's Christmas list this year, so she was over-the-moon when she opened it. From what I can gather, it has lived up to her expectations. She talks about it all the time, going into quite a bit of detail that I do not understand or follow, but it obviously excites her tremendously because she will talk about it for hours, and play it even longer if I allowed her to. The graphics seem to be ... graphicy. There are Pokemon. You play with them. OK, hang on, I will bring in the expert. This is what she has to say. "When you play Red, Blue or Yellow, the graphics are manageable, but when you move up to Pokemon X, the graphics are AMAZING. You can see the Pokemon battle, and you can see the moves that they use. Like, if you use 'dig', you can see them dig down. And if you use 'fly', you can see them fly up. And 'greninja', when it uses my favorite move, water shuriken, you can see it throw the shurikens however many times the move hits, and it can hit up to five times. So you just see the shuriken fly at the opponent and it looks really cool!" About the game she says: "It is a really fun game. You start off in a town where your mom is a famous Rhyhorn raiser and then you find that Professor S. decided to pick you and four other people to become a Pokemon trainer." (Oh, so your Ash!) "So there are three starting Pokemon. There is the Grass Type Chespin. The Fire Type Fenniken. And the Water Type, Frokie." (She chose Frokie). "There is a bad team that you have to defeat." (She can't remember their name, among other people you have to battle.) "One of the coolest parts I think to the game is that you can Mega Evolve Pokemon." (Whatever that means.) "There are tons of different Pokemon that can Mega Evolve. And if you like the final evolution, it will go back to its form after it battles. There are a few like Charizard, Mew, and Venosuar that Mega evolve, so Charizard will Mega Evolve into Charizard X, who is black with blue flames coming out of it's mouth. Mew X - and tons of other ones like Aerodactlye, and the two fossile Pokemon that are exclusive to X and Y that can't Mega Evolve yet, but they are very cool. It was hard for me to decide between them. But in the end I picked Amora. Once you get toward the end, you can catch the legendary Xerans, which I haven't caught yet, but I really want to. I haven't gotten that far yet. In the previous Pokemon games I have played, the gyms are basic and simple. But when I went up to Pokemon X, all the gyms are just SO COOL. My favorite gym so far is the Psychic Type Gym. It's like a big Sphere Maze. You have to locate the gym leader. There are a whole bunch of different trainers that you don't have to battle, but you get so lost you end up having to battle them." That's it for her review. If you have questions, she will be happy to answer them. I'll be happy to pass them along because I know nothing.
on July 28, 2016
I played this so many times, restarting and going through the game numerous time with a different team. This is probably the only Pokemon game where I actually kept a party of 6 Pokemon and used all of them, even battled the elite 4. I love the wonder trade, I got some cool Pokemon in most of my playthroughs and even my replay's. The graphics were beautiful, the gameplay was very good too, I love that you can kinda customize your character, you're no longer just the default character, that's the best part to me, it made you feel like you were part of the game, like a real Pokemon trainer. You can change your skin color, your hairstyle, clothes, and whatnot. Also, the Pokemon bank was a nice touch. I place where I can store all my Pokemon that I caught over the years and I got to see them in updated graphics, no still pose. That's awesome! My only issue is sometimes the camera angle in some tight places can be a pain, and after the elite 4, there's nothing else to do (which is partially why I replayed the game), but I overlooked them because it's a small flaw on an otherwise impressive game.
on December 8, 2013
This game is absolutely amazing! I have played every generation (and possibly version) of Pokemon since the series started and have never been disappointed, but Pokemon X may have just raised the bar! The graphics are stunning and the game-play is just as wonderful as the other generations, if not more so. The ending of the game is heartfelt and touching, and there is nothing about this game that I would make me stop playing it for hours on end.

Pokemon Amie and the Super Training allow you to bond with your Pokemon and train them to your own specifications, not those of the game. Pokemon Amie also allows you a unique look at your Pokemon, and even the oldies (Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Pikachu, Riolu, etc.) are perhaps even cuter than ever! I did notice that Riolu, if you tilt your head from side to side while in Amie, will mimic your movement and ask you to make faces with it! So cute!

I returned to Pokemon Black 2 for about five minutes and was kind of disappointed despite myself. The differences are that great!

I think the one and only thing I would change about this game is this: to add only one Pokedex feature from the previous generations, and that is the Habitat List from Pokemon Black 2 and White 2. It made it a bit easier to tell what Pokemon I had and had not caught, but after a quick Excel Spreadsheet on my nearby computer, that was hardly an issue anymore.

For anybody who loves Pokemon already or anybody who wants to try it for the first time, this is definitely the game to get! Pokemon X is definitely my new top-favorite in 3DS gaming.
on December 8, 2015
1) Animation/Game Functionality A+
This game is beautiful and so far I haven’t found a bug despite its sophisticated functions. You can travel many ways and the button work fine. This game also finally figured out how to use the touch pad effectively. It is where we get trades and the mini-games to help with EVs. It also makes organizing the box a lot easier than other games.
2) Exploration- The World A+
This game has the best exploration than any other pokemon game in the series. The places between gyms you go through are numerous. There are about two cities explored between every gym. This game also makes the city have more than pokemon as their center. There are coffee places and hotels in major cities. There are also clothes stores where the character can buy new clothes. The routes are beautiful and diverse as well.
3) Pokemon B
This is where this game gets out of hand. This region has too much pokemon. Around 450 and has 3 pokedexes. Every route has about 4 new species not in previous routes. It can be overwhelming or good for collectors depending on perspective. This game may be better for collectors that do have access to internet and want to collect as much as possible. I consider my self a collector and raiser. I am currently raising two boxes of pokemon to level 100. I normally go for one but this game has too much pokemon to narrow down to just one box. The new pokemon are actually good additions. The fairy type also add new complex but it is annoying encounter a past normal type and not being able to use the same strategies against it.
4) Raising Pokemon Mixed
This is where the problem maybe with this game. Getting experience pts is ridiculously easy. Pokemon don’t split experience like they use to. They now get full points when participating. Also exp. Share works ridiculously well. It is too easy to get experience points. Getting EVs does hurt from this but there is a new mini-game to help raise evs. I am not one that likes in-game mini games so the quality is unclear. Happiness and egg hatching is easier because a lot of items are given to help these things go a lot faster.
5) Trade/ Link Battle A+
Trading has two major changes. One is that there is no need to go to Pokemon Center another is that there is now Wonder Trade. Wonder trade is where you trade a pokemon of yours to get a random pokemon from somebody else. It is either good or bad depending on need. It is good to fill pokedex of easy to moderate to catch pokemon. I find it to be fun because I get easy to get pokemon from Sapphire/Ruby that don’t come in Y/X.
6) The Story C
Pokemon games could use real storyline. Black and White actually had good premise for a pokemon game. This one has the lamest storyline where the bad guys make less sense than Team Galaxy from Generation 4. Nobody plays pokemon for the story but it could help.
on June 18, 2014
My very first Pokemon game was a copy of Pokemon Red that i received when I was in 6th grade back in 1999. I enjoyed that game wholeheartedly and I have pretty much owned every pokemon game since (with the exception of crystal and emerald). I am still biased in my loyalty to the earliest generations of Pokemon since that is what I grew up playing. I've had my favorites from the newer generations that I love to catch and use (Sceptile and Groudon from III, Garchomp from IV) but overall I feel that each generation of new pokemon seems like the designers are running short of good designs. However, Pokemon X and Y have blended old and new in addition to vastly improving the gameplay experience to make these games terrific.

First and foremost, I love the new 3D battle simulations. They really provide a more realistic experience to pokemon battles. Second, I love getting to see some of my favorite Pokemon from the early generations. I hated that Pokemon Black and White left all the old pokemon out until you beat the game, which is why those are my least favorite games. But X and Y really made up for it by allowing me to use my old favorites like Alakazam, Butterfree, and especially Charizard!

I haven't used some of the online trading features yet but I hear that they really enhance the gameplay experience and allow the ability to obtain all sorts of different pokemon to help complete the formidable task of completing the Pokedex.

Overall, I don't think I have ever enjoyed playing Pokemon this much before. Nintendo really hit a home run with these games. And upon hearing that they will be remaking Ruby and Sapphire with this generation, I am thrilled and hoping to experience these great new features on classic older games.

To make a long story short, DON'T WAIT!! BUY ONE OF THESE GAMES NOW!! Old and new players alike will find themselves addicted to the superior gameplay!!
on October 27, 2013
I would consider Pokemon X (and even Pokemon Y to similar extents when I get it in the mail) one of the best Pokemon games to play.

A departure from the series is the pixel sprites that made the world. Now games are in 3D and have not disappointed me. I enjoy drawing fan art of Pokemon and prior to the advent of this game and its companion, I'd usually have to rely on pictures from the anime and manga, which I am no longer fond of. Now that the Pokedex shows a 3D model when a Pokemon is caught, I can actually draw fanart of Pokemon at different angles beyond front and back.

You can actually change your avatar to suit you as your are ask for your gender, your looks and your name. However, the skin color for the darkest skin type for looks is still a dark taupe color. It's still a start and quite a departure from playing what is a essential a white-skinned protagonist.

Some items have changed, particularly the plates that are to be attached to Arceus, which include the Pixie Plate which corresponds with the new Fairy element type. The biggest change of all is the Exp. Share, which first started out as Exp. All in the very first games, giving all Pokemon in the party Experience Points, and later Exp. Share, giving a selected Pokemon in that party a share of the points. For this set of games, the Exp. Share has reverted back to the properties of Exp. All.

I have very few complaints involving the Lumiose City. Before I bought the game, I was well aware of a glitch that prevents moving around if saved in the North and South Boulevards and the two Avenues from The South Boulevard leading to the Central Plaza. Pokémon's official X & Y Site recommend you save your games in a shop or better yet, in the Pokemon Centers. The Evolutionary stone shop in Lumiose City, to my knowledge, only sells Fire, Water and Leaf Stones, so evolving Eevee and Pikachu would require a debate on your self if you're trying to complete the Pokedex as I only received one Thunderstone. You will encounter Pokemon from all 6 generations, some from the previous 5.

Overall, the story did not disappoint. I won't tell you the ending, but the game does leave many characters involved open for debate and fan theories of their beings and pasts.

The ending, however, simply doesn't just go to the credits right after beating the Champion, it involves a Pokemon battle with an enigmatic character who is involved with the story's backstory. After that, the cut scene that ties up the loose ends enough to satisfy those who held on long enough and then the credits, which has a song involved from the second part of the credits, subtitled in English and French. The music in the credit reminded me of the song "Hana wa Saku" (Flowers Will Bloom), created by the NHK, Japan's public broadcasting station for the recovery of the Tohoku region.

I have been told that Pokemon Y has a darker, more sinister story to its programming. However, I can say that Pokemon X is not that much different from the description for Pokemon Y from my experiences.

As for educational aspect: Mathematics are part of figuring out how much damage you deal to your opponent. Logic involving Rock-Paper-Scissors like deduction is involved when in a battle. Life lessons are involved with the story, such as the lengths one would go through to take back what was lost and the cost of the war from a non-monetary aspect.

It is a fun game to play. You might even beat my record of entering the Hall of Fame in 3 days after starting a game.
on October 30, 2013
I bought a 3DS a few weeks before this came out, my first portable game console in a long time, and figured I should see what all the fuss was about.

Wow, was I missing out!

I always used to love RPGs growing up as a kid -- Final Fantasy 7 was my favorite game ever growing up -- and that always steered me away from the Pokemon franchise, weirdly enough. I both was suspicious of Pokemon ever being able to have a worthwhile story, as well as feared the constant grind of most RPGs.

Well, I was pretty much wrong. I say pretty much because Pokemon's story is actually oddly appealing -- you're playing a character who's out to Catch 'Em All. So, no, it doesn't have much of a real 'story' per say, but it's all just goofy fun, so where I was wrong was in thinking it needed to be something it isn't and shouldn't be.

What I was really, really wrong about was the fear of grinding. The "catching them all" part of the game has made grinding fun again! It's not constant battles everywhere, even where you don't want them, to get pointless levels. You're the one seeking out the battles -- and not for pointless levels, but to find the new Pokemon. The world keeps things fresh, so you never find yourself lingering in the same place too long, and there's oodles and oodles of goofy side games to keep yourself occupied when you feel you need a break from catching your Pokemon... and would rather spend time 'getting to know them.'

I've talked about how much goofy fun there is in this game, but it does take very seriously the heart of this game, what makes it all work: it's mechanics. The combat system is a deceptively deep turn-based combat system. There's tons of strategy involved and, for someone who enjoys meta as much as I do, a whole bunch of tough choices to make. That said, it would be hard to get those decisions so wrong that you'd ruin a Pokemon -- but even if you did, for whatever reason, all you'd have to do is catch more.... or even breed them.

To put all of this in perspective, I went from being a deep skeptic of this entire franchise a month ago, who decided to buy the game as an experiment, to a full-throttled Pokemon addict who's put 20+ hours on this game... when I thought the days of me having the patience to play games for hours and hours was long since at an end. Clearly, I just needed to be playing Pokemon all that time. LOL.
on January 9, 2017
I'll be honest: I loved the storyline. And the Pokémon variety is why I love these games. They did magnificently with the diverse populace, especially in adding the new type: fairy. I love fairy. As far as my only dislike/preference is that the conclusion of the campaign was almost too conclusive. The Elite Four were easy, and with the map already practically explored prior to completion, catching the "rare" Pokémon was more of a "go here and throw poke ball = check". I wish they had invested into more investment as far as what it takes to catch rare Pokémon.

Otherwise, this is probably tied for third in my favorite Pokémon games and I still find myself dumping hours into its awesome--even if it is just to raise that "one" Pokémon who I know will soon also be replace by the next "new Pokémon" to raise. Haha, but so is the life of a Pokégamer xD It also functions as a perfect "cross/bridge" to some of the new features brought into Sun and Moon.
on October 17, 2013
I would say Pokemon x/y have dethroned Pokemon Emerald but there are a few issues from a programming standpoint that make me lean more towards a 4.5/5.

First of all the battle scenes have a bit of lag and MIGHT* run at about 25-27 fps which is just below fluid. When you turn on the stereoscopic 3D the frames drop to maybe 20fps during attacks, the only way to combat this is to have the attack animations and 3D turned off but in general as long as you keep the 3D off it should be good enough for most people...barely.

The 3D option is completely stripped in double and triple battles as well which is probably for the best as peoples 3DS's would be crashing left and right.

My only other problem is the movement takes some getting used to, they added horizontal movement so the older players may have trouble getting accustomed to it, the controls are also on the loose side so you may accidentally fall off a couple (rollerblade areas) speaking of rollerblades, you are given a pair within the first hour or two of gameplay and they are superior to the bike in maneuverability so that's a plus.

Now on to the positives. The pokemon selection is excellent and there are some old favorites returning and the new ones are generally attractive in comparison to the last generation. I have noticed that Gamefreak have taken more of an avante garde approach to the designs and many will find them interesting. For instance the starter bug pokemon evolves into a butterfree clone but it actually looks BETTER than what it is copied from, also there aren't as many useless pokemon in general this time around and the stat allocation is a bit more streamlined.

The overworld looks great but in some ways I miss the "god" view from above as it gives you a better look at your surroundings, still I think they did a good job on it and it's growing on me. The online trading/battling system is pretty well done, the "wonder trade" feature is basically gambling, I've gotten terrible pokemon most of the time but I have also recieved 2 or 3 useful ones. I just trade my duplicate pokemon with it and hope for the best.

The music is also pretty good and so are the towns. The setting is sort of French I believe which is a nice change from the usual Asian/western locales.

In all seriousness though, if you have a 3DS you probably already own this game and if you don't your missing out on the Torchic giveaway that ends in January.
on September 28, 2015
i've always been a pokemon fan and this game rocks. the story is short and the side quests are dull, but if you enjoy battling, raising your team, catching and trading, then it's a blast.

i would warn that the "chat" feature is actually a voice chat, which can be turned off. i thought it was a text chat, as i wanted to trade with a random person and wanted to write to them to figure out what pokemon they wanted. it turned out to be like a phone call, except that the voices are altered a bit. this is a bit scary because you never know who could be on the other side. we were both a bit freaked out. to avoid awkward encounters i recommend to turn this feature off. i recommend this to parents of children as well. again, you never know who is on the other side. i'm surprised nintendo even allowed this given that obscenities that can be typed (and therefore filtered), can just as easily be said.

other than that, trading is pretty cool. you can trade with someone you know, either in the room or via internet, as well as random. you can choose to send a random pokemon and receive a random one as well, or choose someone random who has a specific pokemon and trade the one they want (a specific exchange).

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.