Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on October 13, 2013
I started this game with high expectations until I realized one hour after that I was playing the same exact thing I have played for the last 15 years but with cuter graphics... and I got bored pretty quickly.

Absolutely nothing have changed: the same intro with the professor, the starters are the same types (grass, fire, water), the towns have the same layouts, your neighbors are your rivals again, the wild Pokémon you first encounter are similar types again (a flying type, a bug type, a normal type, etc.), need to collect 8 badges, again, I mean, not 7 or 9, but 8, again. Why can't they at least change the starters types?Even the battle animations were disappointing, the Pokémon still do not animate more than a couple bounces and shaking the head when hit, something we already saw on past Pokémon games, with the difference that now they are not pixelated sprites but 3D models.

And before you say that every Mario or Zelda game are the same thing, my answer is: no. Each Super Mario level of each game is different, offering a different layout and challenge that you will not find on any other Super Mario, the same can be said about each Zelda dungeon, although the games share some common things and themes over the years, they actually offer different challenges and puzzles in every game. 70 new Pokémon and Mega Evolutions are not enough for a formula that is getting repetitive and boring by now.

I put the game down after a couple hours, I just didn't want to "Collect Them All" again for the 8-9th time, and I don't think I'll picking it up at least while I play other fresher games.
2525 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 11, 2013
Great games like these should be on the vita, not kid toys like 3ds. come on sony buy pokemon. Nintendo kid fans do not know anything about pokemon or whatever its called
4040 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 13, 2013
Pokemon X and Y could have been the most significant evolution of the Pokemon series since Gold & Silver, or even Red & Blue. On the surface, it appears to be an major upgrade: the visuals have been enhanced and the battles are now in 3D.

However, under the shinier coat of paint, Pokemon's core gameplay remains largely unchanged after 17 years. You'll pick between a grass/fire/water starter, receive a Pokedex, meet your neighbors/rivals, travel around the world to collect 8 gym badges, fight a criminal team, defeat the Elite 4 and become the Pokemon League Champion. Somewhere in the first half of the game, you'll have to find your way through a bug-infested forest. Somewhere between Gym 8 and the Elite 4, you'll have to find your way through Victory Road. There are very few surprises when Game Freak stubbornly sticks to such a rigid formula.

While previous generations added more than 100 species each, Gen 6 only added fewer than 70 species. This is disappointing, especially considering that so many of the "new" Pokemon species follow familiar stereotypes. After the Grass/Fire/Water starters, you'll have Bunnelby, the Rattata/Zigzagoon/Bidoof equivalent normal-type for Gen 6. And then you'll have Scatterbug, the Caterpie/Wurmple equivalent bug-type for Gen 6. Meanwhile, certain type combinations that have never existed before, still do not exist.

There is a noticeable lack of compelling new content. While the new Fairy type and Mega Evolutions will affect tournament battle strategies, it feels like their primary purpose is to facilitate the creation of further sequels, rather than to truly enhance the gameplay. Gen 7 will surely market the addition of new Fairy type species and Mega Evolutions as "new" features. Pokemon Amie, the minigame where you use the touch screen to feed, touch, and interact with your Pokemon, seems like a distraction similar to Pokemon Contests, Pokeathlon, Poke Star Studios and other minigames in previous generations.

Many of the 3DS platform's capabilities are either under-utilized or seemingly integrated as an afterthought, for example the minimal stereoscopic 3D. Moreover, the still-2D gameplay in the overworld (as opposed to six degrees of freedom) and the still-tile based maps under-utilize the 3DS' horsepower potential.

Unless you're a die-hard fan of the Pokemon experience, if you've played any of the countless previous iterations of Pokemon - from Red & Blue to Black 2 & White 2 - you've already played the same game before. For a series that emphasizes the concept of "evolution," it's disappointing that the games themselves haven't made any significant strides over the last decade.
1818 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 16, 2013
I just received pokemon y and ordered Pokémon x for my husband and I am having trouble with getting my game to start. It keeps saying: the SD card couldn't be recognized. Please end the game and start again. I have done this at least 6 times
1717 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 17, 2013
The game came and in the same day i opened and when i put it on my 3ds it doest work, what should i do?
1313 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 12, 2013
This game leaves me speechless. I've been a fan since red and blue and I've loyally followed every generation since but this game just blows me away. I'm not far in it but I have yet to play a 3DS game that I just cannot put down - until now. The graphics are crisp, smooth, and beautiful. The format is the same, yet refreshing somehow in a way that's hard to pinpoint exactly. What can I say? I'm addicted. Definitely recommend this game for people with a pulse and a brain. Not for people like Puggles.
1212 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 29, 2013
People who are left handed are at a huge disadvantage. There is no option for left handed controls in the minigames under the "super training" menu. super training is a series of minigames you can use to raise your pokemons stats so this puts lefties at a huge disadvantage at competitive multiplayer. It completely takes the fun out of the game and I will stop playing it if/when they release a patch.
1111 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 18, 2013
I won't bother by giving you a synopsis or details about the game that can be easily found in a general review. Instead I will list a few details why, even with only 20 or so hours into the game so far, that I believe that X and Y are the best installments in the series. In no particular order:

1) The boring guided intro is gone and you are almost immediately on your own catching Pokemon and exploring.

2) Many old favorites from generation I and other fan favorites are featured almost right from the beginning. This is in stark contrast with B & W, where only new unknown pokemon are featured initially. This should appeal to gamers who are fond of the first games from the 90's.

3) No more waiting for powerful pokemon in the late-game, formerly only really usable in post-game. I caught a Bagon by the second gym and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

4) Mega-evolutions bring interest back to fan-favorites, showing younger gamers the great pokemon they are not familiar with and, again, appealing to gamers who played the original games.

5) "Super Training" makes EV training (competitive training) fun, easy, fast, and accessible for anyone. You can fully EV-train pokemon in less than an hour, and undo it all with a special item, and redo it as you change your strategy.

6) Trainer customization and online features make this feel more like an RPG.

7) The shiny encounter odds are reasonable now.

8) Perfect IV pokemon are a few breeding steps away with the new "Friend Safari" and new breeding mechanics.

9) The graphics are stylized just like the anime now. It REALLY looks great.

10) Now that Game Freak has tweaked the game to be more reasonable, competitive pokemon can be trained in a reasonable time, therefore cheating/hacking is not even necessary (it is blocked for the foreseable future anyway).

Now if I had to give it a few negative points: the 3D is only active in single battles and only certain parts of the overworld because the framerate is low when 3D is on and would probably become terrible with more action. The dialogue is still a bit childish and boring for the most part with bland side-characters. The difficulty needs to be higher (although they did make is accessible for all ages at least). Lastly, the 3DS really needs a cellular card in it or something because WIFI is still not consistent enough when going various places to take advantage of the new online features. I am sure if Nintendo had an online service for the 3DS like the Amazon Kindle does, even for a low cost, that many would subscribe just for this game.
99 comments| 291 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 19, 2013
I unfortunately did not see that this game was for the 3ds before buying it, so I haven't been able to play it due to the fact that I have an original DS. It's unfortunate that new systems keep having to come out that are double the price of the last one, I'm too poor to keep up with Nintendo. In any case, I'm sure the game is quite amazing as everybody's telling me, but for me it's just sitting in my room until I get the nerve to spend the pretty penny on a new device to play mine. That's all.
88 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 6, 2013
This is very disturbing game

you control little monsters that go around and kill people

plus they forgot the letter Z

1010 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.