Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Pokemon X
Format: Video Game|Change

on June 18, 2014
My very first Pokemon game was a copy of Pokemon Red that i received when I was in 6th grade back in 1999. I enjoyed that game wholeheartedly and I have pretty much owned every pokemon game since (with the exception of crystal and emerald). I am still biased in my loyalty to the earliest generations of Pokemon since that is what I grew up playing. I've had my favorites from the newer generations that I love to catch and use (Sceptile and Groudon from III, Garchomp from IV) but overall I feel that each generation of new pokemon seems like the designers are running short of good designs. However, Pokemon X and Y have blended old and new in addition to vastly improving the gameplay experience to make these games terrific.

First and foremost, I love the new 3D battle simulations. They really provide a more realistic experience to pokemon battles. Second, I love getting to see some of my favorite Pokemon from the early generations. I hated that Pokemon Black and White left all the old pokemon out until you beat the game, which is why those are my least favorite games. But X and Y really made up for it by allowing me to use my old favorites like Alakazam, Butterfree, and especially Charizard!

I haven't used some of the online trading features yet but I hear that they really enhance the gameplay experience and allow the ability to obtain all sorts of different pokemon to help complete the formidable task of completing the Pokedex.

Overall, I don't think I have ever enjoyed playing Pokemon this much before. Nintendo really hit a home run with these games. And upon hearing that they will be remaking Ruby and Sapphire with this generation, I am thrilled and hoping to experience these great new features on classic older games.

To make a long story short, DON'T WAIT!! BUY ONE OF THESE GAMES NOW!! Old and new players alike will find themselves addicted to the superior gameplay!!
5 people found this helpful
on January 9, 2017
I'll be honest: I loved the storyline. And the Pokémon variety is why I love these games. They did magnificently with the diverse populace, especially in adding the new type: fairy. I love fairy. As far as my only dislike/preference is that the conclusion of the campaign was almost too conclusive. The Elite Four were easy, and with the map already practically explored prior to completion, catching the "rare" Pokémon was more of a "go here and throw poke ball = check". I wish they had invested into more investment as far as what it takes to catch rare Pokémon.

Otherwise, this is probably tied for third in my favorite Pokémon games and I still find myself dumping hours into its awesome--even if it is just to raise that "one" Pokémon who I know will soon also be replace by the next "new Pokémon" to raise. Haha, but so is the life of a Pokégamer xD It also functions as a perfect "cross/bridge" to some of the new features brought into Sun and Moon.
on August 30, 2016
Wish the 3D aspect was a little more tailored to, game is mostly in 2d but otherwise really like this game. I don't follow pokemon much but really loved it as a kid, had yellow on my gameboy color. Every couple of years or so I pick up the latest game to play and while I enjoy them, I rarely recognize the pokemon and find the story line and new world to be so-so. I really really enjoy this one. Such a fun medley of original pokemon mixed with new generations. I love the Kalos region and all the extras you can do and see. Love how you can dress up and customize your avatar. I also really enjoy that when I'm riding my Lapras in the water, it looks like I'm riding my Lapras in the water, not just a black blob. Oh AND you get two sets of starter pokemon. You get to choose one from the new generation and then about a city further in you get to pick one of the original starters. Very excited to keep playing.
on September 28, 2015
i've always been a pokemon fan and this game rocks. the story is short and the side quests are dull, but if you enjoy battling, raising your team, catching and trading, then it's a blast.

i would warn that the "chat" feature is actually a voice chat, which can be turned off. i thought it was a text chat, as i wanted to trade with a random person and wanted to write to them to figure out what pokemon they wanted. it turned out to be like a phone call, except that the voices are altered a bit. this is a bit scary because you never know who could be on the other side. we were both a bit freaked out. to avoid awkward encounters i recommend to turn this feature off. i recommend this to parents of children as well. again, you never know who is on the other side. i'm surprised nintendo even allowed this given that obscenities that can be typed (and therefore filtered), can just as easily be said.

other than that, trading is pretty cool. you can trade with someone you know, either in the room or via internet, as well as random. you can choose to send a random pokemon and receive a random one as well, or choose someone random who has a specific pokemon and trade the one they want (a specific exchange).
on October 27, 2013
I would consider Pokemon X (and even Pokemon Y to similar extents when I get it in the mail) one of the best Pokemon games to play.

A departure from the series is the pixel sprites that made the world. Now games are in 3D and have not disappointed me. I enjoy drawing fan art of Pokemon and prior to the advent of this game and its companion, I'd usually have to rely on pictures from the anime and manga, which I am no longer fond of. Now that the Pokedex shows a 3D model when a Pokemon is caught, I can actually draw fanart of Pokemon at different angles beyond front and back.

You can actually change your avatar to suit you as your are ask for your gender, your looks and your name. However, the skin color for the darkest skin type for looks is still a dark taupe color. It's still a start and quite a departure from playing what is a essential a white-skinned protagonist.

Some items have changed, particularly the plates that are to be attached to Arceus, which include the Pixie Plate which corresponds with the new Fairy element type. The biggest change of all is the Exp. Share, which first started out as Exp. All in the very first games, giving all Pokemon in the party Experience Points, and later Exp. Share, giving a selected Pokemon in that party a share of the points. For this set of games, the Exp. Share has reverted back to the properties of Exp. All.

I have very few complaints involving the Lumiose City. Before I bought the game, I was well aware of a glitch that prevents moving around if saved in the North and South Boulevards and the two Avenues from The South Boulevard leading to the Central Plaza. Pokémon's official X & Y Site recommend you save your games in a shop or better yet, in the Pokemon Centers. The Evolutionary stone shop in Lumiose City, to my knowledge, only sells Fire, Water and Leaf Stones, so evolving Eevee and Pikachu would require a debate on your self if you're trying to complete the Pokedex as I only received one Thunderstone. You will encounter Pokemon from all 6 generations, some from the previous 5.

Overall, the story did not disappoint. I won't tell you the ending, but the game does leave many characters involved open for debate and fan theories of their beings and pasts.

The ending, however, simply doesn't just go to the credits right after beating the Champion, it involves a Pokemon battle with an enigmatic character who is involved with the story's backstory. After that, the cut scene that ties up the loose ends enough to satisfy those who held on long enough and then the credits, which has a song involved from the second part of the credits, subtitled in English and French. The music in the credit reminded me of the song "Hana wa Saku" (Flowers Will Bloom), created by the NHK, Japan's public broadcasting station for the recovery of the Tohoku region.

I have been told that Pokemon Y has a darker, more sinister story to its programming. However, I can say that Pokemon X is not that much different from the description for Pokemon Y from my experiences.

As for educational aspect: Mathematics are part of figuring out how much damage you deal to your opponent. Logic involving Rock-Paper-Scissors like deduction is involved when in a battle. Life lessons are involved with the story, such as the lengths one would go through to take back what was lost and the cost of the war from a non-monetary aspect.

It is a fun game to play. You might even beat my record of entering the Hall of Fame in 3 days after starting a game.
3 people found this helpful
on August 30, 2014
Awesome to see a combination of new and old-school Pokemon. I loved getting a new starter and an "original 151" starter.

Mega evolutions are really cool to see and definitely beef up your pokemon, but don't expect more than 2 or 3 of your opponents to ever use them against you.

Which brings me to my main issue with this game - I utterly destroyed it.
I'm really not sure if it is incredibly easy compared to the older ones, or if I'm just older and better at strategizing and whatnot, but I never came close to dying. I defeated the Elite Four and Champion without taking a single point of damage. The same was true of nearly every gym leader.

I don't feel like I had some sort of ultimate team - 1/2 of my team consisted of pokemon literally given to me (2 starters and Lucario) and a 4th was Xerneas, the legendary of this game - so I really think it is just overly easy.

A second gripe - most of this game is NOT IN 3D. Only select parts of your adventuring are rendered in 3D, and not even the coolest ones (huge structures and monuments are in plain 2D, but the game zooms out as if to give you a sense of scale... what?)

The battles are pretty much the only thing you get in 3D, and sometimes the framerate stutters... but that is probably due to how incredibly well-rendered the pokemon are. They look phenomenal, and each have their own unique movements, which is pretty cool. I do wish they actually made contact with each other, though. Like a real battle. But maybe in future iterations...

The story is predictably sub-par, but definitely the most intriguing of the pokemon games I've played. It basically hinges on a "Team ___" trying to destroy everyone but themselves. There are a lot of references to the wrongheaded goals/desires of these "elites", with many NPCs making somewhat poignant commentaries on elitism, individuality, and other meaningful topics.
Pretty cool to see good values being conveyed through a silly kids game like this.

Overall, I would recommend buying it or at least borrowing it. It is both interesting enough and different enough from previous iterations in the series to warrant that much.
on October 17, 2013
I would say Pokemon x/y have dethroned Pokemon Emerald but there are a few issues from a programming standpoint that make me lean more towards a 4.5/5.

First of all the battle scenes have a bit of lag and MIGHT* run at about 25-27 fps which is just below fluid. When you turn on the stereoscopic 3D the frames drop to maybe 20fps during attacks, the only way to combat this is to have the attack animations and 3D turned off but in general as long as you keep the 3D off it should be good enough for most people...barely.

The 3D option is completely stripped in double and triple battles as well which is probably for the best as peoples 3DS's would be crashing left and right.

My only other problem is the movement takes some getting used to, they added horizontal movement so the older players may have trouble getting accustomed to it, the controls are also on the loose side so you may accidentally fall off a couple (rollerblade areas) speaking of rollerblades, you are given a pair within the first hour or two of gameplay and they are superior to the bike in maneuverability so that's a plus.

Now on to the positives. The pokemon selection is excellent and there are some old favorites returning and the new ones are generally attractive in comparison to the last generation. I have noticed that Gamefreak have taken more of an avante garde approach to the designs and many will find them interesting. For instance the starter bug pokemon evolves into a butterfree clone but it actually looks BETTER than what it is copied from, also there aren't as many useless pokemon in general this time around and the stat allocation is a bit more streamlined.

The overworld looks great but in some ways I miss the "god" view from above as it gives you a better look at your surroundings, still I think they did a good job on it and it's growing on me. The online trading/battling system is pretty well done, the "wonder trade" feature is basically gambling, I've gotten terrible pokemon most of the time but I have also recieved 2 or 3 useful ones. I just trade my duplicate pokemon with it and hope for the best.

The music is also pretty good and so are the towns. The setting is sort of French I believe which is a nice change from the usual Asian/western locales.

In all seriousness though, if you have a 3DS you probably already own this game and if you don't your missing out on the Torchic giveaway that ends in January.
3 people found this helpful
on February 26, 2018
The difficulty curve is extremely slow to build. It hand-holds you near the beginning like you've never played any Pokemon before, and this makes the pace of the storyline suffer a little bit. This is especially frustrating when they introduce you to a centrally located hub city that's heavily cordoned off and restricted until you've done other things, progressed the story further in other areas first. Then out of nowhere, you're minding your own business, exploring an ice cave and WOAH-NELLY, there's that difficulty spike. Soon after, you're facing the Elite Four already, and it was around this part I realized I'm pretty bored with its storyline. There are greater Pokemon games out there like Alpha Sapphire and Moon, but this one excels at easing newcomers into the swing of things. I only hope it ensnares their attention span firmer than it did mine.
on August 21, 2014
Fantastic new graphics for the 3DS? Check. Great new features? Check. Standard excellent Pokemon story-line? Check. Loved by both old and new fans? Check!
This is such a fantastic game. As someone who's played Pokemon since Red and Blue, I have high standards for Pokemon games. Black and White did not meet them, but X and Y absolutely did. It was nostalgic while being completely new and redesigned. The new 3D models for the Pokemon in battle are simply awesome. I love the artwork, and I love the amount of detail put in to everything! I personally played most of the game with the 3D turned off, and everything is still stunning. The game mechanics have gotten more complicated, but easier to work with than ever before - I think that's one of the best things about Pokemon: It's simple enough for kids to love, but it has layers of complexity that teens and adults are able to see.
To me, the most impressive feature is the online compatibility. It's so easy now to trade with friends around the world - and with strangers! Wonder Trade allows you to send a random Pokemon to trade with a complete stranger, so you never know what you'll get! And the privacy settings keep any trades or battles with strangers private and purely digital. It's a great balance. I bought this game when it first came out, and recently bought a second copy as a gift for a friend, and as soon as she got it, we were able to trade online, even though she lives thousands of miles away.
The storyline is standard. Nothing too special or crazy, but really, Pokemon has a formula, and it does best when they stick with it. It's good enough to be engaging, but not too weird or complex as to turn off younger fans.

Overall, if you're still debating whether or not these games are worth it: they are. They're beautiful and classically Pokemon. I really have no complaints.
on June 23, 2014
I bought this as a gift, but has my own copy of it as well. I grew up playing Red, Yellow, & Blue. I was a diehard fan of the games and bought all of them since I was like 8 years old and now I'm 23. My favorite was Soulsilver because it was a remake of what I already loved the most. I actually hated the Platinum, Black, Black 2, etc. series. The new Pokemon were and still are pretty stupid to me at times, not all of them, but a lot are. The gameplay for Black & White was way too easy and baby-like for me. I didn't have high hopes for X/Y, but the fact it was the 3DS and friends told me it was great I had to try it and it's honestly my favorite now. They finally added features I've been wanting since I was 8 and the gameplay is interesting and keeps you going. I bought Y as well just to go through it again! The online features are amazing as well! I love to trade with strangers most of all so I can get Pokemon I can obtain otherwise!
4 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.