Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on December 8, 2015
1) Animation/Game Functionality A+
This game is beautiful and so far I haven’t found a bug despite its sophisticated functions. You can travel many ways and the button work fine. This game also finally figured out how to use the touch pad effectively. It is where we get trades and the mini-games to help with EVs. It also makes organizing the box a lot easier than other games.
2) Exploration- The World A+
This game has the best exploration than any other pokemon game in the series. The places between gyms you go through are numerous. There are about two cities explored between every gym. This game also makes the city have more than pokemon as their center. There are coffee places and hotels in major cities. There are also clothes stores where the character can buy new clothes. The routes are beautiful and diverse as well.
3) Pokemon B
This is where this game gets out of hand. This region has too much pokemon. Around 450 and has 3 pokedexes. Every route has about 4 new species not in previous routes. It can be overwhelming or good for collectors depending on perspective. This game may be better for collectors that do have access to internet and want to collect as much as possible. I consider my self a collector and raiser. I am currently raising two boxes of pokemon to level 100. I normally go for one but this game has too much pokemon to narrow down to just one box. The new pokemon are actually good additions. The fairy type also add new complex but it is annoying encounter a past normal type and not being able to use the same strategies against it.
4) Raising Pokemon Mixed
This is where the problem maybe with this game. Getting experience pts is ridiculously easy. Pokemon don’t split experience like they use to. They now get full points when participating. Also exp. Share works ridiculously well. It is too easy to get experience points. Getting EVs does hurt from this but there is a new mini-game to help raise evs. I am not one that likes in-game mini games so the quality is unclear. Happiness and egg hatching is easier because a lot of items are given to help these things go a lot faster.
5) Trade/ Link Battle A+
Trading has two major changes. One is that there is no need to go to Pokemon Center another is that there is now Wonder Trade. Wonder trade is where you trade a pokemon of yours to get a random pokemon from somebody else. It is either good or bad depending on need. It is good to fill pokedex of easy to moderate to catch pokemon. I find it to be fun because I get easy to get pokemon from Sapphire/Ruby that don’t come in Y/X.
6) The Story C
Pokemon games could use real storyline. Black and White actually had good premise for a pokemon game. This one has the lamest storyline where the bad guys make less sense than Team Galaxy from Generation 4. Nobody plays pokemon for the story but it could help.
5 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on January 1, 2017
Love it!
It has been awhile since I played Pokemon, my last being Omega(I know it came out after Y). I don't remember why, but I didn't really enjoy Omega.
However, I wanted to give it another chance and got to say this might be my favorite so far. I have a short attention span but this game is fast paced and really draws the players into the gameplay. I've put in about 10 hours in in the last 2 days. Everything from the leveling to the percentage of wild animals popping out is optimal in my opinion. I did cheat a little by looking online when choosing the fossil and hunting for Plusle. Other than that, the gameplay is very relaxed. I didn't feel it was a hardship if I wanted to go back to a certain route. I'm absolutely enjoying the game and looking forward to playing Sun after I finish this one.
on May 15, 2017
Coming from someone who hated Black and White... I love this game.

3D is used sparingly but it's wonderful when it does come in. It's not as easy as other newer Pokemon games. The availability of Pokemon with hidden natures is nice (unlike Black and White) but... I do take issue with having to go online (Reddit, anyone?) and add a ton of strangers to my DS friends list in order to get said hidden natures and friend safaris... it was not a fun process.

I do respect that the Elite four was actually kind of difficult, unlike some other games in the series.

Breeding was drastically improved. The Battle Maison is pretty great. The EXP share, also, was dramatically improved. I find it's almost too easy to get levels, sometimes... but I can't really complain when leveling isn't everything and grinding gets kind of boring. I appreciate that it makes your stats and your move choices more important because everyone has insanely high-level parties.

I wish it didn't totally blow Sun and Moon away. It's a much better game and so it's hard for me to move forward in the series.
on September 18, 2017
I'm a long time Pokemon player, having only missed gen 2. I tend to log hundreds of hours on each title trying to catch them all and get a team of high-level Pokemon. Pokemon Y is a little bit of mixed bag for me, it's most noteworthy feature is that between it and Pokemon X they have nearly every Pokemon available without having to trade between games. However, to counter that its story is some of the worst writing I've seen in the franchise. There isn't a whole lot of post-game content with is usually what I spend the most time doing.
All of that being said this is an ok game to start on if you've never played the franchise and between this and the 3rd gen remakes you can easily catch them all if that is what you're interested in doing.
on April 7, 2014
For longtime Pokémon players the series’ debut on the 3DS is like a dream come true. This is in almost every way the Pokémon game my 12 year old self was waiting for.

The most important change is that Pokémon are rendered in full 3D models, finally moving away from the series’ traditional sprites. Battles immediately remind me of Pokémon Stadium on the N64 only shrunk to the palm of your hand (not to mention the superior graphics).

I had the pleasure of visiting France the Summer before Pokémon X/Y came out so immediately I was able to appreciate the Kalos Region’s design. This new cultural aesthetic really feels like a breath of fresh air.

A small, but appealing feature is the ability to customize your character’s in-game appearance through skin color, hair, and clothes. This may seem like no big deal, but ever since I first played Pokémon Blue I’ve wished I could edit the appearance of my sprite. Game Freak has finally brought that feature and we can only hope they give us more choices in future titles.

If Pokémon X/Y has one weakness it has to be the story. I know, I know, no one really plays these games for the story, but this game’s antagonists, Team Flair, really are a step down in quality. While the teams have always been Saturday morning cartoon villains at least they threatened the protagonists. Team Flair comes across as a group of incompetents rather than a group dead-set on changing the course of history.

The game’s single-player campaign is also ridiculously easy. A beefed up Exp. Share makes level grinding a thing of the past and more often than not you walk into every gym and Team Flair battle with a team that towers over the competition. In short, I understand Game Freak wanting to cut back the hours typically spent on grinding, but if this device is going to become a mainstay in the series they’re going to have to level up the boss battles.

Another thing that will bother veteran players is the lack of post-game content. Once you’ve beaten the Kalos Region Pokémon League there really isn’t much to do other than continue filling your Pokédex.

Those small problems aside, Pokémon’s leap into the 3DS is a spectacular success sure to entertain old and new fans alike with its 3D recreation of the creatures we know and love. For that it receives my highest recommendation.
on November 12, 2016
This is the game I have been waiting for as a fan of pokemon since 1999. This is the 3d, all encompassing version of pokemon we had been waiting so long for and the game delivers.

Some pokemon designs leave a bit to be desired and there was not a TON of new pokemon, but I feel the changes overall make this game an awesome one. The new pokemon are amazingly designed, the new type, fairy gave us new life to older monsters and the mega evolutions changed the metagame that was quite stale in generation 5.
on November 13, 2013
This is a great game, a lot of improvements for those who both enjoy the simplicity of the story and battles, to the complexity of competitive play. Unfortunately I feel that it still does not deserve 5 stars. This is the game that Black & White should have been, This is the game that Heart Gold and Soul Silver should have been.

It should not have take this long to reach this level of quality for the game, graphics and mechanics. Now that Pokemon has finally reached the 3D era of games, it feels like they are STILL being lazy, still taking shortcuts wherever they can. They really need to tear down the game to the nuts and bolts and particularly look at the UI. The roundabout fashion that users have to take to get from A to B is indicative of a game from 10 years ago, not 2013.

The Pokemon series is the most bumbling, poorly UI designed game I have played on a DS system, and I mean that quite sincerely. The stylus is a uncomfortable burden, not a fun new way of playing. Half the game is buried in menus only accessible by the stylus. I didn't even KNOW you could change menu pages to access Super Training and Pokemon-Amie until about the 5th or 6th gym badge, and trust me that's a long way in. I only found out that I could because someone else playing the game told me! Take out the stylus, put it back, take it out, put it back. Watch anyone play Pokemon and this is what you'll see. Eventually they do one of two things: take out the stylus and hold it in their hand while pressing buttons, or put it away and do some other task they really didn't want to do, they just do it because it doesn't involve the stylus.

Hire a new UI crew, one that is credited with successful DS titles, and totally redo the menu system. Pro tip: asking other players how to navigate a menu is NOT part of a game, players should be able to experience and navigate a game in it's entirety without outside assistance.

X & Y are a great addition to the series and I enjoy playing it thoroughly. The transition to a 3D game leaves that great Pokemon feel intact.
on August 27, 2014
I have played pokemon since the beginning (blue progressing onward). I stopped playing at platinum. I decided to pick up the newest one and said why the hell not. Well. . . I just really don't see the difficulty in it at all granted it is a pokemon game. I feel as though previous generation of pokemon games had more of a challenge factor to them than Pokemon Y. This game is just easy.

Cons: Hardly any use of HM's outside the field of battle, TM's are unlimited (seriously why unlimited it takes the challenge out of the game in my opinion), the story is boring/pointless doesn't really inspire me to keep playing the story part but it's pretty much linear so you have to, and this new generation of pokemon aren't the greatest just blase. (Not a purist by the way first generation wasn't the greatest either. I actually like 3rd generation/4th generation.)

Pros: Berry system is awesome. Easier to grow what you want and pretty lenient on growing them and getting to them once they blossomed. The transportation between the roller skates and bike is great! Like switching between the two. The battle system is really smooth other than when you're fight five of them at one time (unless you have a move like earthquake that hits all five). The cities that you go to are truly unique in their own way. I actually like the towns in-between that don't have gyms. Gives it more of a real world feel to it. The online features are awesome! Probably my favorite feature is the virtual trainer and the little play with your pokemon deal (sorry forgot name). Sorta brings back the feel of pokemon yellow where you got to play with your pikachu!

Overall it's not too bad. If you like the online aspect of this game being able to play with other players around the world, trading, and battling get this! If you're looking for some of the old school fun well then I wouldn't get it.
|22 comments|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon February 18, 2014
Our boys - ages 10 and 15 (when we bought this) have really enjoyed this game. Our 10 year old bought it for our older son for Christmas because he knew he was getting Pokemon X for Christmas and he felt bad for our 15 year old! : ) LOL I told our 15 year old son that and he was truly touched and it made him that much more willing to play the game with our younger son!

In Pokemon Y players will go to a place they've never been before - the Kalos Region, and have the ability to see and collect new Pokemon they've never encountered before - which is always fun. With X and Y it brings the count of Pokemon to well over 600 Pokemon - I'm not sure exactly how many. There are forests, cities, and at the center of all of this is Luminose City - which from what the boys have shown me is all pretty cool. Our younger son really likes to show me when one of his Pokemon is about to evolve - it is pretty cool! In the new games, X and Y, there are some pretty tough Pokemon to catch - which makes the game all the more difficult - it adds a new and more challenging element.

There are new moves, new attacks, and a couple of new types of Pokemon never before introduced in other games before - grass and leaf. It all makes for some exciting and interesting game play.

If your kids are Pokemon players, I'd highly recommend these two new games!
One person found this helpful
on February 2, 2015
Love the game. Much easier than the originals with a lot to do. It's easier to make money although poke balls are useless just about come later in the game so just go buy the more expensive balls. Lots of pokemon to collect, the trading system is awesome. The safari friend zone is garbage because you can't get in or at least I have yet to figure out how due to the problems with the friend codes and what not. I also was annoyed that the trainers (the final four or whatever they are called) not only hide behind a bunch of other trainers before you even get to them but they are themed so it's really easy to beat them with the right group. Also annoying that the other trainers you encounter use super potions all day long mid fight so you need to get tons of those too. Still a pretty cool game though.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.