Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Today only: Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on November 13, 2013
This is a great game, a lot of improvements for those who both enjoy the simplicity of the story and battles, to the complexity of competitive play. Unfortunately I feel that it still does not deserve 5 stars. This is the game that Black & White should have been, This is the game that Heart Gold and Soul Silver should have been.

It should not have take this long to reach this level of quality for the game, graphics and mechanics. Now that Pokemon has finally reached the 3D era of games, it feels like they are STILL being lazy, still taking shortcuts wherever they can. They really need to tear down the game to the nuts and bolts and particularly look at the UI. The roundabout fashion that users have to take to get from A to B is indicative of a game from 10 years ago, not 2013.

The Pokemon series is the most bumbling, poorly UI designed game I have played on a DS system, and I mean that quite sincerely. The stylus is a uncomfortable burden, not a fun new way of playing. Half the game is buried in menus only accessible by the stylus. I didn't even KNOW you could change menu pages to access Super Training and Pokemon-Amie until about the 5th or 6th gym badge, and trust me that's a long way in. I only found out that I could because someone else playing the game told me! Take out the stylus, put it back, take it out, put it back. Watch anyone play Pokemon and this is what you'll see. Eventually they do one of two things: take out the stylus and hold it in their hand while pressing buttons, or put it away and do some other task they really didn't want to do, they just do it because it doesn't involve the stylus.

Hire a new UI crew, one that is credited with successful DS titles, and totally redo the menu system. Pro tip: asking other players how to navigate a menu is NOT part of a game, players should be able to experience and navigate a game in it's entirety without outside assistance.

X & Y are a great addition to the series and I enjoy playing it thoroughly. The transition to a 3D game leaves that great Pokemon feel intact.
on July 8, 2016
Haven't gotten through half way yet but this game so far has been a great deal of fun, not as good as the first 3 gens imo but still still is well done and fun. Only thing bugging me is the new Pokemon don't seem as cool as older gens but they only have so many ideas and time to work with. But the mega evolutions make up for it. Overall a good game so far.
on October 11, 2016
Been playing Pokemon since it first came stateside when I was in middle school and this is the best incarnation of the games thus far (in my opinion). The addition of character customization, pokemon-amie, and mega evolutions made the gameplay so much richer for dozens and dozens of hours of entertainment.
on October 31, 2013
I started playing Pokemon when I was a kid (around 10 or 12), I had Pokemon Red, and Yellow, and I played it on my GBP and GBC, respectively. I think I even beat one of them, after putting countless hours of play into them. They were a ton of fun. After that, though, I lost interest in the series and moved on to other games. I have not played another Pokemon since. So it's been about 15 years.

When I saw that they brought back the original Pokemon into this game, I decided to pick it up and give it a try. After playing it for a few days, I am thoroughly impressed.

The quality of the 3D world, the animations, the sounds, the dialogue, everything... it's almost perfect. Every time I play I'm excited not only to find the Pokemon that I grew up with, but also to discover new Pokemon that I've never seen before.

If you're considering this game, I highly recommend it, even if you haven't been following the series that closely. I can't find one complaint about the game thus far. I believe that Pokemon X/Y is going to become the most popular / best selling Pokemon game of this generation.
on December 22, 2013
Pokemon X&Y is most definitely the best Pokemon game released to date. The amount of improvement: regarding graphics, content, IV training/breeding, and models & animations is incredible; especially after playing the Pokemon series since Generation I. New features, such as the revamped Exp. Share and the introduction of Mega-evolution (something I'd thought would be very stupid and gimmicky, but actually turned out to be a lot of fun) just make the game a great play-through.

A big flaw that kept me from giving a 5-star rating is the game's terrible framerate issues. Even without 3D on, the animations in battle suffer from very choppy movement. Actually turning 3D on renders an almost unplayable framerate. Another minor (but very annoying) gripe I had is that the new mode for fast traveling--rollerskates--cannot be turned off and are automatically used whenever you use the circle pad to move.
on November 9, 2013
there isnt really alot I can say that isnt laced with spoilers, however I will say one will find alot of old favorites, such as pikachu, ripe for the picking.

the visuals are great, the gameplay is great, it sounds good and plays good.

I will note, the game is not without issue, the 3d scenes, particularly in battles sometimes suffer from framerate drops when the 3d is active. simply sliding the slider down and shutting the 3d off fixes this and the game is quite playable in 2d mode.

something I particularly like is the ability to link with other players and trade or battle over the internet, gone are the days where you absolutely HAD to be in the same room as the other person, be it for the old days of the link cable battle, or because the system's wireless has a short range.

all in all, for long time fans of the franchise who have not played in a few years and are looking to get back into things..these are THE games to do it with.
on June 18, 2015
I was skeptical about the new generation of Pokémon, being such a huge fan of the earlier versions of the game and such a critic of later generations, but I have to say I was truly impressed. This game was not only fun, but the graphics were amazing and it was the perfect length as far as game time goes-- not too long and not too short like some of the other generations. One thing I enjoyed the most was the variety of Pokémon from earlier generations available from the start of game play. It was refreshing to see old favorites available with amazing graphics without having to wait until I beat the entire game and unlock the National Pokédex in order to catch them. There was something special about taking on new gym leaders using a new generation of Pokémon with old classics. Great move on The Pokémon Company's part!
on December 27, 2013
I took a pretty big hiatus from the Pokemon games, skipping most generations post Gold/Silver to play Black fairly recently. Decided I'd be buying this day one. Loved the main game, although the story was a bit lighter in content than White/Black. The post game was also fairly light and didn't provide much incentive to keep playing beyond catching some legendaries.

Lots of lovely tunes, many of which where remixed or incorporated tunes from previous games, increasing my love of them tenfold. I felt like a little kid again playing this.

The main game is also very easy. If you want a challenge at all, turn off EXP Share.

I will say the framerate in battle can be pretty atrocious, especially with 3D on. It won't prevent you from playing, but it does make things distinctly less nice to look at.
on December 15, 2016
Always a fan of the Pokémon game series.. and this one did not disappoint! We got both X and Y - One for my husband and one for me! (So we could both play, trade Pokémon, and battle each other).

This style of game is one where you run around, collect Pokémon (collect-a-thon!), and battle your creatures.
I get lots of playtime out of this game.
I would recommend it for anyone that enjoys this style of game.
on August 24, 2014
This game is definitely one of my favorites in the franchise, not only because of it's new 3D visuals and new features, but also because it made me a fan of the series again like I was many years ago. This game did a lot right, with it's new 3D gameplay, brilliant music and songs, and even great online capabilities. It's the kind of game that will take up probably a hundred or more hours of your life if you are a long time Pokemon fan. There is so much to do in this game, even after you beat the main story. You can do battles online against people, do online trades, and even get your Pokemon from past games to it using the Pokemon Bank application available in the Nintendo eShop. Pokemon X/Y is a must if you have a 3DS, and don't think it's just for kids, it's for all ages.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.