Industrial Deals HPC Amazon First Reads Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Pokémon - Black Version
Format: Video Game|Change

on August 4, 2014
This game is really amazing, it's one of the first games for generation 5 for Pokemon other than it's counterpart Pokemon White. You start off in Nuvema town just as you're about to go off on a journey with your friends Bianca, & Cheren. You first get to pick your Pokemon, you get to chose between Tepig, Snivy, & Oshawott. As usual in the Pokemon RPG's you're asked by a Professor, in this case Professor Juniper, to go across that specific region & see all kinds of Pokemon to fill up the Pokedex for their research. Along the way you have to battle the evil Team Plasma, as well as go up against N on several occasions. While doing all these things, you also need to work on getting your gym badges. It's not much different then most of the other Pokemon games, but it is really one of my personal favorites, & I think any Pokemon fan whether it's the games, manga, or anime that you love, if you like Pokemon I think you should give this game a try.
on December 5, 2014
"Condition: Used - Like New - Includes manual, cover art, and packaging. Bonus downloadable content may have already been redeemed. Game data from previous use may be present, but can be overwritten or deleted."

This is what was written on the listing for my purchase but the game was not "like new" the case was not perfect, it has the scrathes and things you wouldn't expect from a "like new" product. This was Amazon fulfilled. If that passes as like new, Amazon, then I should change the listings for all the items I've sold. Not to mention that the game did not have the manual or "packaging." The game data was definitely present though and I got a free Reshiram - so thanks for that.
on March 8, 2011
UPDATE: Two Years Later My Son and I Both Revisit These Games Frequently ENough to Make This One of the Best Values Ever for a Pokemon Game

Original Review: I have been playing these games with my now-10-year-old son since he was three (I bought used GBCs and color pokemon games and let him figure it out - he also learned to read). Together, we have gone through the Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, the Sinnoh games, and Heart Gold/Soul Silver. I almost didn't buy a copy of Pokemon Black, because the games had been getting kind of stale for me. My son still loves them (as do his classmates - if you have a fourth grade boy on your gift list, and he doesn't already have this? You will be making a little boy ecstatic.

Anyway, my son really wanted me to play, and I gave in a bit reluctantly, but, now that I'm playing the game, I love this iteration for the following reasons:

1. I do not want to spoil the storyline, but the antagonists' issues and ethical positions are fairly sophisticated. Team Plasma is actually asking some interesting questions about trainers' relationships with their pokemon. Those questions also apply to our own relationships with other (real) creatures here in our world.

2. The smack-talk from rivals and other trainers is toned way down from generations past.

3. The game helps you along, which makes it much less frustrating (at least for me). For example, before each of the three gym battles I've done so far, you get an opportunity to get a pokemon who has a helpful type and a high enough level to ensure that you don't spend a ton of time fighting and re-fighting the same battles.

4. The graphics are really amazing for a handheld game, and the towns have lots to do besides gym battling, so your kid isn't likely to beat this game in a day and toss it aside. You get your money's worth.

5. There are new battle modes, new pokemon, new ways of interacting with friends in person and over the Wifi Connection. Nintendo also made Black and White just different enough from each other to make it worthwhile to purchase and play both.

I deducted one star because my game cartridge arrived glitchy. In the first battle, my pokemon, a female Oshawott could not execute any attacks. Every time I selected an attack, the game went to a screen describing the attack and showing my trainer statistics. I had to shut down the game and restart several times, all with the same result (except never again did I get a female starter), before I decided to try cleaning the cartridge, which worked (use a q-tip and rubbing alcohol gently to clean the game cartridge and let it dry completely). This is the first time since the Gameboy color games (which I bought used) that I have had a quality control issue with a pokemon game.

I recommend this game for kids who enjoy the anime and the other rpg and for adults who either want to play along with their children or enjoy gentle (mostly) nature/environmental-themed rpgs. It's fun and has good replay value for the money.
on March 6, 2011
I originally wrote this review for Pokemon White, but I copied it here for you Pokemon Black fans :)

Quick Personal Statement

I was in elementary school when the "pokemon craze" hit the US and everyone brought games and cards to school. I still have funny memories of getting my cards or gameboy confiscated because I was battling friends or trading during school. (It was much harder to be sneaky when you had to use a cable to connect your systems.) That being said, I only have fond and happy memories of Pokemon. However, as I started getting older, my interest in the series kept declining, but I still bought each new game. Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with Heart Gold / Soul Silver and still have not beaten it yet. I didn't have very high hopes for this game, however, I can tell you this game surpassed anything that I could have hoped for and is by far one of the best Pokemon games that I have ever played. My interest in the series has been reinvigorated. The core battle mechanics remain the same tested and true old formula, but the presentation has improved leaps and bounds! The graphics and environments are some of the best that I have seen on the DS. There are full 3D environments that look astonishingly good. Furthermore, Black and White has seasonal cycles, as well as night/day cycles. Another added feature are special battles, where both trainers send out 3 pokemon. I have only had a few hours to play the game, so I cannot speak for the plot as a whole or the post-story activities, but my brief experience with the game has been nothing but pure nostalgic fun.

Anyways, I'll leave the detailed reviewing of the game itself to someone else. I'll move on to what I really want to talk about: the differences between Black version and White version.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Differences -- Pokemon - White Version vs Pokemon - Black Version
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Normally, it really doesn't matter which Pokemon version you get, because both are essentially the same thing, except for minor pokemon differences. However, surprisingly, for the first time in a Pokemon game, there are actually significant differences between the games. This time, there are unique regions to each game and the visual theme of each game is quite different.

~~~ Visual Theme ~~~
So, what do I mean by the visual theme? Well, Pokemon Black has more urbanized, industrial locations, whereas Pokemon White shows a more natural world. This can be seen throughout the game. You will see small differences such as a gardening patch in Mistralton city in Pokemon White compared to a building in the same spot in Pokemon Black. Most of the cities give off a natural atmosphere in White, while the cities are more developed, and in some cases slightly futuristic-looking in Black. In White, the cities have more grass, plants, and trees, and in Black the cities have more concrete, asphalt, and buildings. Opelucid (Souryuu) City is the most notable; the city look almost entirely different between the two versions.

~~~~ White City / Black Forest ~~~~
These are the version exclusive regions I mentioned earlier. Pokemon Black has Black City and white has the White Forest. These regions fit the visual themes set forth by the game: Black City is a heavily urbanized area with several trainers to battle with Pokemon from lvl 40 to the mid 60s. There are also many item shops with items that can you help you in game. White City, on the other hand, is a natural forest with low leveled, unevolved Pokemon that you can catch. Black City will definitely help you more in terms of raising your own Pokemon's levels and getting supplies for future battles. However, White Forest will cater more to people who plan to collect Pokemon and try to complete their pokedex.

~~~~~ Special Battles ~~~~
In both Pokemon White and Black, there are 5 special battles. Pokemon White has 4 Triple Battles and 1 Rotational Battle. Pokemon Black has 4 Rotational Battles and 1 Triple Battle. In both of these special battles, both trainers send out 3 pokemon. These special battles are a bit hard to explain without visuals. The mechanics the battles will be better explained in a simple way during game.

Triple Battle:
It is a 3 on 3 battle, however, the order you place your pokemon matters. The pokemon in the middle is can attack the enemy's middle, left, or right pokemon, but your pokemon on the left can only attack the enemy's pokemon on the left and the middle. Similarly, your pokemon on the right can only attack the enemy's pokemon on the right and the middle. So, your pokemon on the left cannot attack the opponent's pokemon on the right, and your pokemon on the right cannot attack the opponent's pokemon to the left. To further complicate things, attacks that damage all pokemon such as explosion or earthquake cause more damage when done by the pokemon in the middle, but also inflicts more damage to the pokemon in the middle.
** When I say left or right, I am saying it from the perspective of behind your trainer.

Rotational Battle:
Like the triple battle, both trainers send out three pokemon. However, this time, the pokemon are not fighting against each other all at the same time. Even though all three are sent out, the battle appears like a 1 vs 1 match. Each trainer sends one pokemon forward to battle as one would in a normal battle. But here's the twist: at the start of your turn, you can rotate between any of the three to send forward. You can think of this as basically a pokemon switch without wasting a turn. This adds to the battle strategy when considering types. For example, if your opponent has a grass type forward and you have a water type forward, you would rotate your water type to put a fire type in front.

Hopefully, my explanations made sense. If not, don't worry, they are far less complicated when the game explains it to you. If you like the Rotational Battles better, then you might want to gt Pokemon Black since it has 4 of those and only 1 Triple Battle. Maybe rotational battles aren't your thing and you want to do Triple Battles. Then, you should consider Pokemon White.

~~~~ Trainer Differences ~~~~
There are sometimes minute differences in the pokemon line up of different trainers. I don't really feel that this is significant to talk about. However, one somewhat large change is the gym leader in the 8th gym. Pokemon Black features a stern old man, whereas Pokemon White shows a young girl. These gym leaders have the same pokemon, the only thing different is their appearances/avatar.

~~~~~~~~Legendaries~~~~~~~
Pokemon Black has the white Legendary Pokemon, Reshiram (Dragon/Fire type).
Pokemon White has the black Legendary Pokemon, Zekrom (Dragon/Electric Type).

Strategic Note: The sum of the base stats for both legendaries is 680, however, the spread is slightly different. In terms of base stats, both have base 100 hp and 90 speed. Reshiram has 120 attack, 100 defense, 150 special attack, 120 special defense. Zekrom has 150 attack, 120 defense, 120 special attack, 100 special defense. This means that Reshiram is better suited to deal and take special attacks, while Zekrom is more suited to deal and take physical attacks.

In my opinion, I think Zekrom will be far more useful for competitive battling. One of the best electric pokemon is Zapdos. However, Zapdos is stunted by its flying type, leaving it vulnerable to devastating attacks such as a 50% health loss from Stealth Rock. This new legendary should easily be able to replace that spot. Plus, the versatility of a dragon type may put it ahead of other notable electric types such as Electivire.

~~~~~~~~Version Exclusives~~~~~~~~~~~

And of course, like all previous pokemon games. Each version has a few pokemon exclusive to only that version. I wouldn't stress out at the loss these pokemon though. You can get all of them through online trades later, if you really want to complete your pokedex and catch 'em all. Check the bottom of the review for a list.

By the way, more people are buying white than black. So if you get black, you may be popular for trades :)

~~~~ Conclusion ~~~~
Pokemon Black/White is definitely one of the best pokemon games to come out. I definitely recommend it to anyone of any age. Don't waste time deciding whether or not to get the game: get it. Now, the only decision you have is whether to get Black or White. I decided to go with White. White version just appealed more to me and seemed more "open". Black version looked cluttered, in my opinion. Also, I feel that Zekrom would be more useful in battle. Try checking out screenshots online to help you decide which visual style you like better, then get whichever version you like better!

Pokemon - Black Version
- urbanized theme
- Black City (battle trainers and buy items)
- Dragon/Fire Legendary
- minor trainer differences (Old guy as 8th gym leader)
- more Rotational Battles

Pokemon - White Version
- natural theme
- White City (catch low level pokemon)
- Dragon/Electric Legendary
- minor trainer differences (young girl as 8th gym leader)
- more Triple Battles

#575. Gothorita
#576. Gothitelle
#629. Vullaby
#630. Mandibuzz
#641. Tornadus (legendary flying)
#643. Reshiram (legendary dragon/fire)

Pokémon White

#578. Duosion
#579. Reuniclus
#627. Rufflet
#628. Braviary
#642. Thundurus (legendary electric/flying)
#644. Zekrom (legendary dragon/electric)
+ Several Unevolved Pokemon you can catch in the White Forest:
- Trapinch
- Shinux
- Happiny
- Surskit
2626 comments| 433 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 3, 2011
The best pokemon so far, but hsould have been better.

The graphics can be awesome, then you get in a battle and see a crappy sketch of a trainer or a pokemon doing a little jig repeatedly.

The music's sound quality is great, but the actual songs for battles and towns barely sounds different and is not very exciting.

the pokemon are still decent, but like all after the irst 150, some were obviously forced. however, being that they are in the 500's, there are some awesome pokemon still; enough to make up for any undesirables. some are there just for fun (an ice cream pokemon?), some must have been thrown together at the last minut (segliph, you'll see what I mean), and then there are actually designed pokemon made for specific situations you'll encounter in the...

new battles! rotation is nice because it is strategy heavy, but there are a little over 5 of them (unless you get online). there is a subway where you can and do different scenario battles that seem to be endless (as in you'll never run out of people to battle, good thing!).

the land...is great. the distances between cities is perfect. Traveling is well paced and has plenty of trainers to fight. yet, you cannot rechallenge trainers this time around (stupid). and in certain areas you can run around in the grass and never find pokemon, yet in others, you cna turn left in get in a battle.

the story (if your under 13 and care) is good; about pokemon and trainers being seperated. It gets deep and actually involves you as a trainer, so thats cool.

BEST THING---> the whole wifi connection and of course new pokemon! But more so the online experience is just easy and great (and not dependent on a pokemon center).

WORST THING---> some pokemon take forever to evolve, and it seems training takes forever now (use the lucky egg though). If you have local friends, you'll be thrilled to use the online and et everyhting out of it. But if your older and no one around you has the game, your really, really screwed.
I played pearl and was a little underwhelmed with it, but when I got black, I was very, very happy. The pokemon don't look absurd anymore, the minor animations during the battles really add a lot more to the feel of battling, reusable TM's are a godsend for people like me who used to just hoard them and never use them, fewer HM's (that was getting really absurd) and smart, well thought out gameplay. the new villan's PETA-esque point of view is really funny, and while I'm sure it wasn't intentional, it parodies the idiocy of human nature well. All in all, if you've got an option for a DS pokemon game, skip pearl and go for black/white
on May 18, 2011
I haven't played Pokemon since I was a sixth grader, when Red and Blue just came out in the states. So, I've been gone awhile. The new generation of Pokemon is a great place to return to the series. As with the original, I'm kind of a completetionist when it comes to getting all 153 of the new Pokemon. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible, as a couple are only able to be acquired through various events that are now over. This is also the case with the National Pokedex, which involves collecting all 600+ from all generations of the game (many are event only Pokemon, including Mew, Celebii, etc, and are impossible to get now unless someone trades them to you, which is unlikely).

So, if you are a completionist, don't bother. It's a nearly impossible task that will drive you crazy.

Also, if you haven't played since Red/Blue/Yellow, you'll learn about all the new features that are in the series. Breeding Pokemon so they are as powerful and unique as possible, effort value training (effort values are abstract numbers not viewable in the game that you get by battling pokemon and dictate the stat gains of your pokemon as they level up), ability selection, etc. So be warned, Pokemon has gotten rich and complex, so much so that this clearly isn't a game that is "just for kids".

The series sure has come a long way. Graphically, the series is updated with 3d graphics on the overworld, and battles that include sprites that continuously move, a camera that zooms in on the action, and dynamic music that changes depending on the situation in the battle. It makes for a more exciting game, but they manage to keep the pace of the game the same as it's always been.

The game includes a lot of internet features. Unfortunately, I can't take advantage of any of them (I'm a soldier deployed overseas and don't have access to wireless internet), so I can't say a lot about it. One that I do know that sounds interesting is the ability to sync your game with your Pokemon account online, and send your Pokemon to a "Dream World" that you access from your web browser, allowing you to maintain a house, grow berries, get access to new abilities, and capture Pokemon that you can't get in-game. It sounds intriguing.

Overall, this game brings back memories of Red/Blue/Yellow, and it's been a blast getting back into the series. I played the game when I was 11 years old, and I'm now almost 24. So even if you're older, don't be put off by the fact it's Pokemon. It's a charming game, completely addictive, and a lot of fun.
on March 11, 2011
Pokemon black is an astonishing futuristic new addition to the pokemon rpg family, which is growing at a great rate. Pokemon black involves many interactive story lines with a great addition of new wifi add-on features such as the c-gear, pokemon dream world (which is released on march 30th 2011), and a brand new array of pokemon. THe battle style has also changed dramatically. There is now moving sprites that also interact with the current in-play pokemon status conditions (For instance, glowing purple when poisoned, glowing red when burned, closing eyes when asleep, slowing down sprite when paralyzed and/or on low health, and being completely frozen when frozen.) Not to forgot the whole new array of pokemon and moves. Now including over 150 new unique pokemon and tons of new moves, even including a water move that induces burn!(scold.) Also including the brand new poke-shifter, a feature in the game that allows you to transfer your beloved pokemon from either heart gold, soul silver, platinum, diamond, and pearl. This game also was awarded a well deserved 9.0 out of 10 [...] rating from ign.com. As you can see, i recommend this game for everyone. Pokemon may not seem like the "coolest thing" but it sure is entertaining for little kids, teens, pokemon fans, and other role-playing game fans all over the world. Thank you for reading.
on March 27, 2011
This game is probably my favorite game of all time! The story is excellent and the replay value of this game is amazing! If you enjoyed the other Pokemon games or you are interested in buying this game, you should definitely get it!! I love the 3d effects (even though they are pixelated) and I thought the 3d scenes really spiced up the game. The only problem is that some of the Pokemon are really ugly and have terrible names, but the excellent gameplay makes up for that problem. The new online features are great and I especially love the GTS Negotiations which lets your trade with random players. I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys RPGs or is considering a new fun title to play on their DS.
on March 18, 2013
Pokemon black is the first game in the 5th generation of pokemon games. It aas revamped certain aspects of the gameplay to make it a better experience overall. There also many newer functions that make trading simpler and faster than ever. The game feels new and fresh while still keeping true to the classic pokemon formula. Here are the main things that make this game great:
- reusable TMs, now TMs can be reused so you can experiment with different movesets. They are a bit more challenging to find, but the rewards are great.
- C Gear. This takes up your touchscreen and includes infrared functions for trading/battling and NFC functions much like the union room. Also some wifi capabilities for your pokemon.
- GTS negotiations(wifi), this is like an edited version of the GTS that allows you to engage in live trading with another trainer from anywhere in the world. You can't directly communicate, but you can sort of indicate what pokemon you want and it is a lot more useful and faster than the original GTS.
- Random matchups(wifi), you can now battle anyone instantly over wifi, very cool feature.
- No old pokemon until after you pass the game. This forces you to really explore the new generation and is great for getting the hang of things.
- Revamped exp. system. It is now MUCH easier to level up weaker pokemon. Basically the game gives out exp based on the difference in levels of you and your opponent now.

Overall a great game and I highly recommend it.
*NOTE* In this game the exclusive legendaries are Reshiram and Tornadus. You can get Zekrom and Thundurus in pokemon white only.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.