Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pokémon X
Your Garage Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Discover it $5 Albums Starting at $39.99 Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Halloween Tailgate-Garden Amazon Football TV Wall Mounting shameless7 shameless7 shameless7  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition ErrollGarner Shop Now STEM

Format: Video Game|Change

on October 18, 2013
I won't bother by giving you a synopsis or details about the game that can be easily found in a general review. Instead I will list a few details why, even with only 20 or so hours into the game so far, that I believe that X and Y are the best installments in the series. In no particular order:

1) The boring guided intro is gone and you are almost immediately on your own catching Pokemon and exploring.

2) Many old favorites from generation I and other fan favorites are featured almost right from the beginning. This is in stark contrast with B & W, where only new unknown pokemon are featured initially. This should appeal to gamers who are fond of the first games from the 90's.

3) No more waiting for powerful pokemon in the late-game, formerly only really usable in post-game. I caught a Bagon by the second gym and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

4) Mega-evolutions bring interest back to fan-favorites, showing younger gamers the great pokemon they are not familiar with and, again, appealing to gamers who played the original games.

5) "Super Training" makes EV training (competitive training) fun, easy, fast, and accessible for anyone. You can fully EV-train pokemon in less than an hour, and undo it all with a special item, and redo it as you change your strategy.

6) Trainer customization and online features make this feel more like an RPG.

7) The shiny encounter odds are reasonable now.

8) Perfect IV pokemon are a few breeding steps away with the new "Friend Safari" and new breeding mechanics.

9) The graphics are stylized just like the anime now. It REALLY looks great.

10) Now that Game Freak has tweaked the game to be more reasonable, competitive pokemon can be trained in a reasonable time, therefore cheating/hacking is not even necessary (it is blocked for the foreseable future anyway).

Now if I had to give it a few negative points: the 3D is only active in single battles and only certain parts of the overworld because the framerate is low when 3D is on and would probably become terrible with more action. The dialogue is still a bit childish and boring for the most part with bland side-characters. The difficulty needs to be higher (although they did make is accessible for all ages at least). Lastly, the 3DS really needs a cellular card in it or something because WIFI is still not consistent enough when going various places to take advantage of the new online features. I am sure if Nintendo had an online service for the 3DS like the Amazon Kindle does, even for a low cost, that many would subscribe just for this game.
1010 comments| 261 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2013
Let me begin by saying that I am a long, die hard, Pokemon fan. I began back with Pokemon Ruby, and subsequently moved to play the first and second generations. I was absolutely and completely mesmerized by the amazing fun and thrilling rush of playing any Pokemon game. I still remember skipping middle school to stay home and train my Larvitar in Pokemon Silver. I still remember bringing my Gameboy Advance everywhere to try to find Surf in Pokemon Red. I vividly remember beating the Elite Four in Pokemon FireRed for the first time and maniacally pressing A in hopes of catching Mewtwo with the UltraBall.

However, things have changed. I am a college student now. Pokemon Black and White, was for me, a major disappointment. I logged over 100 hours in Pokemon Pearl and Platinum and barely even got my 7th badge in Pokemon Black before completely quitting and never touching it again... I feared the worst, oh god, did I outgrow my childhood? Was I becoming more cynical, more serious, heaven forbid, more mature?! No!! Where was my childhood thrill that I got from training my Dragonite, capturing Lugia, and chasing down Mesprit?! I feared the fun would never return and I was just another grown - up...

Well, Pokemon Y brought it back... and during midterms week.

I have logged in more than 20 hours with Pokemon Y so far, (who needs microecon anyways?) and I barely got my 8th badge, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GAME. I feel the same rush I felt when I was in middle school training my pokemon! This game is great! It fixed all of what was wrong with Generation V such as boring and lackluster Pokemon interactions, and revamped the system without taking away my beloved formula of capturing Pokemon.

My Charizard, Raichu, and Greninja are all ready to tackle the Elite Four and I feel like a Pokemon Master again! DEFINITELY BUY THIS GAME IF YOU LIKE POKEMON. Even if you were disillusioned with Pokemon Black and White, give XY a try. I did, and I do not regret it. The graphics are amazing, and the magic is certainly there.

Pokemon Y brought some well needed air to the franchise and I can say that I am a Poke Maniac, once again.

This game feels a lot like Generation III and IV! This feels like a TRUE Pokemon game!
88 comments| 171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 23, 2013
NOTE: when Pokémon X & Y shipped there was a bug that could break your save game. That has been fixed in an update, so before you play you should run the update. It's really easy to do and the 3DS will walk you through each step--you turn on the network, launch the game, say yes to the prompt to update it, and walk through the prompts to get the update applied.

Pokemon X and Y are a fantastic progression of the Pokemon series, and just like with 'Black' I & II and 'White' I & II, my daughter and I each chose one of the two games--this time around she's playing 'X' and I'm playing 'Y'. It's amazing to see how much more we get in the terms of content, graphics, music, and of course general things to do. However, before I say more I think you should be aware that there is a savegame bug in the out-of-the-box new product that could kill your savegame. I'll post a link to an article about it in the comments, so update your game using your 3DS to get the fix before you get to Lumiose City!

If you're new to Pokemon, the shortest way I could explain it is that you are a young person in a land where many different kinds of creatures exist in the wild called 'Pokemon'. These creatures can be captured and cared for, and for many children this is a kind of rite of passage: you learn how to capture and train Pokemon, travel the land on your own, and have adventures. You use your Pokemon to have battles, against other trainers and against wild Pokemon. If it sounds a bit cruel, keep in mind that this is a game for young people and as such Game Freak goes out of their way to make the story a positive lesson: you have to take care of your Pokemon, they grow to like you, and no one ever dies--they just 'faint' and can be revived. Some creatures can 'evolve' into different forms, and with X and Y we now get 'Mega-Evolution' that adds to our options and makes the possibilities even more diverse.

If you're contemplating buying a Pokémon game for a child in your family, there is educational value to be had here: I'm amazed at the huge and creative variety of creatures, and my daughter has coached me on strategies: type matching and analysis are important skills that require memorization, reasoning, and a bit of basic math. You have to manage money to buy things and plan your inventory before taking a trip out of town. And sometimes your character is asked questions to make them think.

Pokemon X and Y are the latest entries in the series, and they take the new ground that was broken in Pokemon Black and Pokemon White (both of which had sequels, I & II) several steps further. Perhaps the biggest change in X and Y is that you interact closely with your Pokemon:

- play with them: there are fun minigames that you play together
- feed them: you get "Pokemon puffs" that look like little pastries that you can hand-feed them using the stylus
- interact with them: petting them makes them happy, and when they're in a particularly good mood they'll play a game with you in which you get to make faces with them: the 3DS camera will show your Pokemon your smiling, winking, or making a 'kissyface'. Your Pokemon delight in your antics.
- train them: you can play other minigames that boost their stats, allowing you to really bump up their skills! Have a Pokemon that's slow? Do lots of Speed training and they'll get faster. It's been huge amounts of fun watching my favorite Pokemon's stats raise and they really do perform better in battles.

All of this revolves around a central story line, with good guys and bad guys, and the difference between X and Y seems to be that the storyline in 'Y' appears to go into a little bit darker territory than 'X', though both have the same overall story. You are encouraged to use the wireless aspects of 3DS to trade, battle, and 'see' each other's Pokemon when you're with someone else who is playing X or Y. You also get "O-Powers", which can be used to bump up stats as well. And early on in the game you have a chance to choose one of the three first-gen 'Starter' Pokemon and add them to your party, which is a really nice nod to the earlier games.

There is a lot more to X and Y in that your character can now change clothes and mix and match different outfits. You can buy clothes in various boutiques throughout the land, and my daughter loves coming up with her own fashion ideas. Your character can shoot 'promo videos' of themselves, though this bit is kind of weird and a bit lame, like the 'movies' that you could make in Pokemon Black and Pokemon White...not very clear how it works, not sure exactly what the purpose is.

There are huge benefits this time around too: most of the game is animated, and it all has a very nice cel-shaded look (think Sly Cooper or recent Zelda games). Camera angles are fairly dynamic, especially during battles, when the camera pans around or does split-screen effects, etc. Battle is a lot more animated, with more visual effects. The music sounds really great, as if it's been orchestrated this time around. The region you are in resembles a European village, complete with a lot of French-sounding names and places. As a very long-time player of JRPGs, I really didn't mind the look of the prior games at all--but I really LOVE the new look & feel of Pokemon X & Y! But the biggest boosts to the gameplay are:

- Experience Share isn't specific to one Pokemon: it's in your pocket and causes bonus XP to be shared with every member of your party
- It used to be that if you captured a Pokemon, no experience was handed out for the battle: now, you still get XP.
- It also used to be that if a Pokemon fainted during a battle and wasn't revived before the battle was over, they didn't get XP. They do now! I even had a Pokemon faint and level up while fainted. This was a pleasant surprise that makes level-grinding easier to do.

If you're new to the Pokemon games and this is your first one, X and Y are a great place to begin--you'll be a bit spoiled! If you're a fan of the original games, picture this as another step forward, with a whole new look. I've really enjoyed the additions and changes, as most of them seem aimed at making the entire experience of a Pokemon game more enjoyable.
3636 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 6, 2015
I picked Pokemon Y when this generation was released, and I am still playing it. I'm here for Charizard X.

I'm also here to replay the story and side quests. I'm a late middle aged parent, and I've played pokemon from the Gameboy Color on up. This particular series has so much to do, and the IV checker makes the game a dream for people who like to hatch eggs.
on July 26, 2016
Note: I haven't finished this review, I just beat my first gym.

I've only ever played Pokemon Blue and Pokemon Sapphire (no omega, the first one). When I saw info on Sun & Moon I decided I wanted to play again. I haven't had a nintendo since my Gameboy Advance SP. So I purchased the new 3DS XL and Pokemon X. So my review is from the standpoint of someone who isn't an active gamer, but wanted to enjoy the nostalgia of a game from her past, and also have a system to play more games during down times at work and on the train.

Now onto the review:

This game is fun. It has a strong nostalgia factor with Pokemon like Pikachu and Pidgey showing up right from the start. I wasn't really in love with any of the new starters but chose Froakie because his final evolution looks pretty awesome, but I find myself more enjoying leveling up my Charmander and Litleo and my Pikachu.

I like that there wasn't a whole lot of stuff in the beginning to keep me from the fun part—exploring and catching Pokemon. Almost right away after a little bit of chatting with mom and the other kids I had my froakie and was off on my adventure.

Things were pretty easy to use, and I remembered a lot of things from playing Ruby/Sapphire, almost everything worked exactly the same way. When I came across a little tree blocking my path to a pokeball I knew right away that I needed to get the TM Cut.

I am really enjoying the 3D. I like that it's 3D sometimes like in battles or other important scenes, and is 2D otherwise. I also really love being able to customize my character. I gave her darker skin and in the large city I got her hair cut to a bobbed length and swapped out the brimmed had and sunglasses with a cap and a pink flower, and swapped out the dress for a t-shirt and jeans. (Though I find it amusing that when the camera angles so I see my character from behind the jeans look like Mom Jeans).

I can't wait to keep exploring and catch more pokemon. I haven't tried out battling with friends or anything like that yet.
on October 30, 2013
I bought a 3DS a few weeks before this came out, my first portable game console in a long time, and figured I should see what all the fuss was about.

Wow, was I missing out!

I always used to love RPGs growing up as a kid -- Final Fantasy 7 was my favorite game ever growing up -- and that always steered me away from the Pokemon franchise, weirdly enough. I both was suspicious of Pokemon ever being able to have a worthwhile story, as well as feared the constant grind of most RPGs.

Well, I was pretty much wrong. I say pretty much because Pokemon's story is actually oddly appealing -- you're playing a character who's out to Catch 'Em All. So, no, it doesn't have much of a real 'story' per say, but it's all just goofy fun, so where I was wrong was in thinking it needed to be something it isn't and shouldn't be.

What I was really, really wrong about was the fear of grinding. The "catching them all" part of the game has made grinding fun again! It's not constant battles everywhere, even where you don't want them, to get pointless levels. You're the one seeking out the battles -- and not for pointless levels, but to find the new Pokemon. The world keeps things fresh, so you never find yourself lingering in the same place too long, and there's oodles and oodles of goofy side games to keep yourself occupied when you feel you need a break from catching your Pokemon... and would rather spend time 'getting to know them.'

I've talked about how much goofy fun there is in this game, but it does take very seriously the heart of this game, what makes it all work: it's mechanics. The combat system is a deceptively deep turn-based combat system. There's tons of strategy involved and, for someone who enjoys meta as much as I do, a whole bunch of tough choices to make. That said, it would be hard to get those decisions so wrong that you'd ruin a Pokemon -- but even if you did, for whatever reason, all you'd have to do is catch more.... or even breed them.

To put all of this in perspective, I went from being a deep skeptic of this entire franchise a month ago, who decided to buy the game as an experiment, to a full-throttled Pokemon addict who's put 20+ hours on this game... when I thought the days of me having the patience to play games for hours and hours was long since at an end. Clearly, I just needed to be playing Pokemon all that time. LOL.
on February 15, 2016
It would seem pokemon is starting to really get easier an easier to play & beat, whatever happened to the old ways where we worked for something an felt like we earned it? Now it's like their just giving players the simple life.. an that wasn't what this was all about..

Make a kids version & the gamer version next time, no one likes watching their games get downgraded to PBS level >.>
on October 13, 2013
The graphics are great, the battlescenes are jaw-dropping, all in all the visual quality is amazing.

(Warning, If you read on, some, but not a lot of events will be spoiled, chances are it doesn't even matter)

------------------------------

One of many things that I found significantly better was the amount of pokemon you come across from each generation. Once you walk on route 2 (route 1 has no grass -.- not that much of a spoiler) you have the chance to catch several different pokemon right off the bat. So far I've caught around 45-50 and barely beaten the second gym leader.

Another amazing thing about this game is how long it has been for me. I admit playing a bit casual and slow because I'm trying to savor every moment, but being 2 badges in with 10 and a half hours of gameplay so far is insane for me. Previous-gen pokemon games had me beat the elite four around 24- 30 hours, but X is most likely going to top that with an additional 20 hours.

I haven't tried out mega-evolution yet, but that's because I'm still not that far in the game, but overall I'm starting to think this is my favorite game by far in my opinion. (Opinion is a feeling of emotion towards something, not facts.)

If you don't have a 3ds I wouldn't really recommend a 2ds because you will be missing out, but if you're on a budget, saving a few bucks is understandable.

Overall I rate this 5 out of 5 for being such an amazing experience even so early in the game and I would most definately recommend this to anyone.
on September 2, 2016
If you like Pokémon and RPGs, buy this without hesitation. I've played well over 100 hours at this while I beat the game may 30 or 40 hours ago at this point I am still catching and evolving Pokémon just to fill up the Pokedex and out of curious fun for these creatures.

The story and dialogue is standard, with quirky lines and the usual coming of age story. That has never really driven the game forward for me though. The search for discovery and solving some puzzles is where it is at for me with these games.

Another great Pokémon game!
on June 27, 2016
I've been a fan of Pokémon since Red and Blue appeared here in the US. From that point on, I've been getting my hands on at least one game from each series as they released. After Ruby and Sapphire came out on the GBA, nothing quite pulled me into the world of Pokémon like they had. That isn't to say I disliked the DS games. I still enjoyed them, but I wasn't enraptured like I had been before... this is, until X and Y appeared. I bought Y first, but it wasn't too long after that I bought X. Pokémon X and Y have so much to offer anyone who tries them out. I felt nostalic on occasion, as well as a brand new sense of adventure. For the very first time, you get to see the world in 3d. You also get to play with, feed, and pet your Pokémon! Plus, the new region, new villains, and new legendaries are absolutely fun and awesome. Whether you're new to the series or you're a Pokémon Veteran (like me), the odds are that you will enjoy this game.