Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Polar Loop Activity Tracker
Color: Black|Change

on November 13, 2013
First of all I purchased this directly from Polar because I wanted it as soon as possible. I also purchased the H6 chest strap (wish I would have gotten the H7 for equipment). Setting this thing up was very easy. The button and scrolling through the menu is intuitive and easy.

I've owned a Jawbone Up (for 5 months and have replaced it 3 times now). There were a few things that I liked about the Up but here's why I chose the Polar Loop:

1. I only want to wear one thing on my left wrist--I need a watch, this foots the bill. I wish it had the date but I'm happy with it.
2. Like that I don't have to plug it into the phone jack on the iphone (4S) for it to sync. No little cap to lose.
3. I can quickly check my progress with a couple punches of the button. Instant feedback.
4. Thing I like most about it is that it works well with my HR monitor. Sometimes I take long walks--when I don't have time for that I like to do an elliptical or jog. By using an HR monitor I can track towards my progress without putting in the steps.
5. Polar is a reputable company and I've used their products in the past. I had no reservations about giving them a shot on this new product.
6. Waterproof/Shower-proof (although I've noticed that the water hitting it activates the menu).

Cons:
1. App isn't quite as slick as the Up one. I think over time this will get better. I love how the UP app shows a column chart of sleep, activity, and food intake...it does a poor job of taking into account exercise though.
2. Battery life is around 5 days. Not quite as long as the Up (which tends to lose it's battery life the longer you use it).
3. Wish it had the vibration alarm that the Up has. Not a deal breaker for me though and probably would kill the battery life faster.
4. VERY minor annoyance here but I'm never a fan of proprietary charging cables. I travel a lot and it's just one more thing to carry. I'll deal with it :)

Honestly, I think this is the best activity monitor out there right now. The time, waterproof, integration of HR monitor makes it my best choice; maybe it's yours too. Hope this helps someone.

11/20 update:

I don't understand why people are voicing frustration over this product. I emailed Polar (told them I had bought a H6 monitor and wanted the H7 monitor). They immediately credited my account and I bought a H7 monitor (through Amazon). I just got it today and it pairs easy--I paired it within 2 seconds without even looking at the directions. Granted there's a little bit of tech savviness needed but individuals need to do a little research.

The fact of the matter is that this is the only activity monitor that allows you to use a HR monitor. Does it have all of the features of every other competitive alternative; no. Is the app perfect yet, no. I trust polar I'm just amazed of these negative or mediocre reviews--be fair in your reviews is what I ask. I (as a consumer) trust and read every review--I wanted to add my 2 cents.
2222 comments| 926 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 29, 2014
I wanted to love the Polar Loop more than any other fitness band I've tried so far. I really tried to love it. However, the software and data availability of this device has crippled an otherwise fantastic fitness band. The Loop in itself is a great design. It fits comfortably, is discreet, shower/hand-washing proof, and is generally well designed. The screen (LED dot matrix) on it is fantastic. It isn't a crisp, high resolution readout, but when not looking at data on the Loop, the fitness band looks like a bracelet. The design of a "hidden" interface type is very cool - it has gotten me many compliments when going through information on the Loop.

** You can look at the bottom for a list of pros and cons **

Important things to note as far as design of the band itself:
1) YOU HAVE TO CUT THIS THING TO SIZE. The Loop goes on the wrist like a nice watch - you cut the ends of the wrist band and reinstall the clasp. Polar includes the tools necessary to do this (except scissors). If you want to try the Loop but aren't sure if you want to keep it, you can cut a paperclip and bend it almost like a bobby-pin (a very tall "U" shape). Just make sure the paperclip is short enough not to poke through the other side. Then, using the holes on the SIDES of the wrist band, you can hold them together by inserting the paper-clip in each end...or use rubber bands, etc. The necessity of this depends on the return policy.
2) The button is capacitive. FURTHERMORE, there must be skin contact with the back of the loop (specifically, with the charging port) in order for the button to work. This likely explains any "button" issues reported by other users. The capacitive button may activate and scroll through menus while in the shower, but this wasn't a big deal for me.

The major, MAJOR downfall of this device is the software and Polar website. I have an Android, and as of this time there is no Android app. I'm ignoring this fact for the sake of the review, as I tried the app on my girlfriend's iPhone. Data is primarily reported using a dial design (basically, it's an analog 24 hour clock). As you move throughout the day, different colors appear around the clock for different activity levels. This feature is pretty cool, however it is the ONLY way to view your data. There is NO graph or other breakdown of your data. You cannot see your step count at certain points of the day. You cannot see calories burned at certain points of the day. You cannot see movement during sleep (aside from a very, very rough estimate by looking at the dial graph).

The website's front page is a map of Europe with a list of people who are running. There are four tabs at the top (this view counts as one). The 2nd tab, "Feed", is another list of people running. The 3rd tab actually shows you data, and the 4th tab is only relevant if you have the heart-rate monitor. Thus, by buying the Loop without a HRM, you are automatically limited to 1/4 of the website. The "Diary" page is a calendar of the month with how far to goal you were each day. Clicking on a specific day brings you to an exhaustive, hour-by-hour planner type view which essentially shows you nothing. Scrolling all the way down to the bottom shows total calories, steps, sleep, etc. Note it shows TOTALS, and not actual graphed data. Next to it is the familiar Dial from the app, as well as a breakdown (breakdown meaning how much total time was spent) of activity throughout the day (time sitting, resting, strolling, running sort of thing).

That's about it for the website. Without the heart rate monitor, you really, REALLY can't see much. If all you care about is the end result (total steps, etc.), this may suffice. If you are training for an Iron Man and have the heart-rate monitor, this could probably serve decently well to track your workouts (if you have a ton of them). I feel the site is better suited for VERY active people who need to track large amounts of workouts.

Pros:
- Great design, comfortable fit
- Dot-matrix readout is very slick and earns many compliments
- When not looking at data on the watch, there's no display so the Loop is very discreet
- Mostly accurate step count (within 10% of other trackers)
- Relatively accurate calorie count (I have a very, very exhaustive study on this)
- Automatically detects when you are sleeping. This feature is amazing! NO "enabling sleep mode" for this watch
- Shower friendly (the display may go through menus, but it's not a big deal)
- Very nice charger (it magnetically "snaps" into place on the back of the band)
- Dial readout of data is pretty cool, as is the tracking of time spent at different activity levels
- Shows the time, so it can double as a "normal" watch
- Compatible with a heart-rate monitor. This is huge for workouts. This is one of very few fitness bands that have this ability.

Cons
- The website. Seriously, almost all of it. It's 50% social, 25% useless without the heart rate monitor, and has virtually no way to see your data in any detail aside from a total amount. Look at screenshots on Google images to see what I mean.
- Battery life. I've had to recharge mine every 3 days or so, although I've admittedly been scrolling through the menus a lot since it just looks so cool.
- The app does not show any more data than the website does. Syncing was fairly painless. While there is currently no Android app, I'm not listing that as a separate con since it is due out soon.
- No silent alarm. This is a vibration feature on the FitBit which can wake you at a certain time. This is more a "missing feature I wish it had" than a con of the existing device.
- The website again.
review image review image review image review image
55 comments| 285 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 13, 2014
First, don't buy this unless you're getting the H6 (for iPhone) or H7 chest strap. This review is based on using the Loop and chest strap. Currently the price for both can be had for about $150 on Amazon if you hold out for a sale. Considering the price of the Nike Fuelband at $150 and the Fitbit Force at $130, the chest strap for the Loop is a no-brainer and must have all at once.
Why? because the Fitbit Force and Nike Fuel Band units will never use heart rate data, a deal-breaker for a legit exercise tracker. A $130-150 pedometer like the Fitbit and Fuel band are simply too expensive in my opinion if they exclude heart rate tracking. At $150 and higher you're well into heart rate monitor pricing and well past e-pedometers.
Let's talk about sleep. Some have opined that the Fitbits are better for this. Total nonsense. If you're using the chest strap, the Loop provides *minute by minute* tracking of your sleep. You can even see if you experience PAC and PVC's during deep sleep on your chart using the Polar Flow website. Do Fitbit Force users know what PAC/PVC is? Of course not because their devices don't use heart rate at all. Basically when you awake you remove the chest strap, synch the Loop to your laptop (very fast compared to Nike) and you'll have a graph showing you (A) how long it took for you to get into deep sleep, (B) how many calories were burned during sleep,(C) what your resting heart rate is during deep sleep and (D) what the heart rate is during light sleep, (E)how many minutes or hours are spent deep sleep,(F) if you are restless sleeper as it shows when your breathing pattern was interrupted and (G) how many PAC or PVC's you experience in a night. If you think that wrist movement alone like on the Fitbit during sleep is all you need to analyze your sleep then have been misled by Fitbit reviewers. This aspect of the Polar loop and chest strap alone makes it worth buying. You would have to check into a Hospital Sleep Center to have this kind of data analysis at your finger tips. For which they would bill your insurance thousands of dollars.

Some have complained that they don't know how to mark the begining or end of a workout when viewing the data on the Polar Flow website or App. Simple: get dressed for your workout and make sure the very last thing you do before you begin is to put on the chest strap (and hold the Loop up to it for it to connect). Dab a little water under the chest strap's blue tooth transmiter, it speeds up the linking. When you are done with the workout and have recovered for a few minutes remove the chest strap. This stops the data recording of heart rate. The Loop will continue to record your foot steps however. That workout is now a "feed". When I log on to Polar Flow I typically have two feeds a day. One is 7-8 hours for sleep. The other is 1.5-2.0 hours for workouts. In essence putting on and removing the chest strap acts as a stop watch. After your workout its good to leave it on until you've recovered your heart rate back towards the resting heart rate zone, or where you were when you began workout. Analyzing this data is important as it shows how quickly you can recover from exertion. As you workout more, this recovery time should begin to shrink. For example a very out of shape person climbing stairs will often be panting for a while afterwards. Since buying the Loop I wear the chest strap frequently to gauge how many calories are burned and the level of heart activity for common activities like walking in the mall or the supermarket. For example a long five hour shopping trip resulted in typical heart rate of 80 bmps and 1,300 calories burned (my resting heart rate for sleep is 55-60 bpms). This shopping trip was enough to meet my minimum activity goal for the day. On the Polar Flow website under "Diary" it showed 130% of the daily goal achieved and it also displayed the average for that week of 120%, thereby demonstrating short-term consistency towards a long-term goal. There were also hyperlinks for each calendar day that took you to the graph for that day's workout when the chest strap was used.

Important: by using heart rate tracking you can see how hard those 10 miles you just hiked actually were. The Fitbit and Nike will only show the steps hiked but what if those 10 miles were a mix of hard uphill steps where you had to expend much more energy? Well without heart rate tracking it registers them all as the same. What if you walked those miles at a brisk pace? Only the Loop and chest strap combination records that data, and it does so with the most accurate alogrithm for calories burned in the exercise industry.

I'm Android user, no there's no app yet. No big deal I can use use the Polar Flow website from my PC or Laptop to get at the data for exercise or sleep sessions until then. The Android app will come at some point so no point throwing out the baby with the bath water because of impatience. The issue is that Android devices have not all gotten on the same page about bluetooth stack so the app developers are left waiting for the phone makers to get it together. It's not Polar's fault. Either way its not huge deal because I will spend more time analyzing the Loop's data from the comfort of larger PC or laptop screen than a 4-5" phone display. Also, while I'm viewing this data the Loop is charging since its connected via the USB cable. It charges very quickly and its a good idea to charge it every three days. If the charge goes too low I find that the sensor is less responsive.

Let me address the device itself. Some say cutting the band is negative. That's a matter of opinion and I could not disagree with that view more. The Loop uses a dual-deployant clasp, something you only see on high end sports watches like Tag Heuer. Once you're sized up the fit is SECURE, it will not come loose like some have complained on other wrist trackers. And getting it on takes 1/10 of a second because it's using a much better engineered spring-loaded clasp. I give this five stars on product design. Well done. Nothing fits better than a custom fit, you get that here. If you're worried about cutting it,take it to a high end watch store in the mall, they have experience with this. But if you do it yourself it will take about 10 minutes use a new pair of $2 scissors and cut in between the holes. Hint, use your finger nail to squeeze the push pins back into the bracelet once you're don cutting. But use the special tool included to remove the push pins. If you lose the tool just use a safety pin.

As for the button that some people complain doesn't work. First of all it's NOT a button. It's a sensor. You have to hold your finger over it long enough for the device to sense the input. Much like the heart rate sensors on the handles of an elliptical machine at the gym. Once the device is awakened for the first time that day, the second touch will work quickly. This keeps the Loop from turning on inadvertently too many times which will drain the battery. The fact that the Loop is fully waterproof well past 10 feet must also add to that barrier as well. Once I wake the device for the day, like when on my bike ride, I will rub the sensor against my chin to light up the screen. This keeps at least one hand on the handlebars with my eyes on the road ahead. When I'm running it's easier for me to check the screen this way as well. It will display the last category you looked at previously. I keep mine set at "heart rate" when using the chest strap during exercise or on "time of day" for the rest of the day when I'm not wearing the chest strap. A second swipe of the sensor against my chin brings up the next window which can be "steps walked" (10K steps is about 5 miles), a third swipe brings up "calories burned", a fourth "activity". Now let's discuss "activity", the Polar Flow algorithm computes based on your height, weight and age the necessary number of steps you need to walk each day to arrive at your ideal level of activity. As you walk more the meter, which is just a red LED rectangle, fills up like a tall glass of water. When using the chest strap during exercise this fills up faster as it knows you are working harder. When the rectangle fills up to 50% I step on the pace so that later on, when I'm viewing this on my laptop on the Polar Flow website, I will see a higher level of work: more calories burned more work done. This is hugely motivating.

I'm a cyclist and have been using Polar since 1992 to guide my exercise (using the Polar Favor). For the beginners, when you're doing exercise you can multiply your maximum heart rate (subract your age from 220) and multiply your maximum by 0.65 (or 65%). This the minimum heart rate during exercise that you need to stay at in order to begin burning fat. You will burn more fat all the way up to your maximum. Some stay within 65-80% to keep from bonking out too soon. When you remain above 80% your body needs help from more than just your existing fat stores. But the plus side for lurching above 80% is that you burn more fat in total and increase your endurance. The best workouts by far are high intensity interval training (HIIT) where you're basically play a cat and mouse game of moving your heart rate to the upper end (moving above 80%), slowing down for your heart rate to recover below the fat burning zone for a minute or two and then racing back up to the top. One method is to increase the amount of time you spend above 80% and then reverse the trend for the remaining sets. There's plenty on YouTube about this type of training if you wish to expolore it further. In the end high intensity invertal training will give you the hugely beneficial after-burn effect: although you have stopped exercising your body continues to burn off fat. Now explain to me how you are going to do any of this with a Fitbit Force or Fuelband if they leave out heart rate monitoring? How will you know when you're back below 65% for the required recovery or when you've gone over 80%? You're not. You're guessing. Too bad you spent $150 on those other devices when you could've had this.

Also, the Loop with the chest strap is versatile as you can use it to track exercise where you're not really moving your upper body like when biking or skiing. Or perhaps during circuit training with weights where you are intentionally trying to move your arms and legs slowly but your heart rate is well into the aerobic zone. The Fitbit Force and Fuelband will not accurately record this type of activity while the Loop will show you every calorie burned and earned. If you were slacking during that work out it will show you that ugly truth as well.

Yes there is no nutrition component yet, but if you have a smart phone there are a ton of Android and iOS apps that will do that for you. And yes the Loop does not have a GPS tracker like some higher end Polar or Garmin monitors costing hundreds more but again your smartphone can take care of that as well if you download apps like Endomondo. That particular app will stop when you rest to check a text or something or are a traffic light crossing and will automatically continue when you are moving again. Afterwards you can see how fast your ran or biked and as well as the route you used on Google Maps. So for the casual but committed athlete there's no sense is buying a second GPS unit for your biking and running when it's already in your pocket with the power of a dual or quad core processor. Which means its really just the swimmers that need a waterproof GPS device. For the non-swimmers perhaps Polar could integrate your phone's GPS into the Polar Flow app as well. There's a great deal of improvement ahead no need to wait for it to be all perfect and ideal before jumping onboard with a great device.

Apple have apparently filed a patent to start incorporating heart rate into future iPhones. I doubt the data will be as good as Polar's whove been at this for 30+ years. And Apple's first attempt will not be their best, just looke at the Apple Maps debacle. And half the phone market belongs to Android which means an Apple activity tracking device will be of no use to 50% of us. (Hint Polar/Google collaboration). Point is Polar is a proven global brand in heart rate tracking and Fibit and Nike have some trouble ahead if their devices are to compete with Apple without using heart rate tracking. They could all be obsolete within 2 years.

Polar Loop gets my vote for fitness tracker of 2013.
1616 comments| 514 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 15, 2014
I've had this for about 3 weeks now, so I feel like I can accurately write a decent review.
First of all, this is the first tracker I've seen that's more than a glorified pedometer. As someone who lifts weights for fitness and doesn't do cardio, those other trackers that focus more on steps than anything else are useless. The fact that this comes with a HRM helps a ton! Squatting doesn't take "steps", but maxing out on squats gets your heart rate up pretty high. For that reason I invested in this guy.
The design is decent - it's no larger or smaller than the average band. It's slightly bigger than the FitBit and doesn't have the option to change out the design. Be careful with sizing it - it's one of those things where you cut the band to make it fit. Once you cut there's no turning back!
It's also ACTUALLY waterproof. I've swam with it, I've showered with it, etc. with absolutely NO issue to the design or integrity of the device. That's really helpful for swimmers or people who forget to take it off when they shower (me).
A design con, however, is how responsive the touch screen is. The "button" you press isn't so much a button as it's a very sensitive touch screen. I've had trouble shifting around in moving theaters and setting off the bright screen and making people around me look. In the future having an ACTUAL button might be useful to prevent these issues.
It pairs seamlessly with the HRM, which I love. Make sure when you put the monitor on you press the button through to make sure it's joined to the device. I've exercised once or twice and apparently the HRM didn't sync with it :( Oh well!
Overall I'm very happy with this product, and it's an amazing step forward for these types of devices.

I hope in the future they offer what others fitness devices offer - a chance to synch it to your MyFitnessPal/LoseIt/etc. so you can track ins and outs. That's not currently an option.
44 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 13, 2013
I'm a Polar fan who trains and uses Polar heart rate monitors for my running, cycling, swimming, hockey and other exercises. I was looking for something that would track my everyday activities outside of exercises. The premise is simple, it calculates your basal metabolic rate based on gender,weight, height and age and estimates your movements based on accelerometers.

The primary measurements it will provide on the unit are:
- number of steps
- a required level of low/moderate/high intensity activities to meet the daily recommended activity goal
- number of calories burned as the day progresses
- time of day

This does not sound much more than your average pedometer but things get more fun an interesting when you upload your data to Polar Flow and you start using a Bluetooth Smart HR transmitter when exercising.

Once the data is uploaded it will show your daily activity level in 5 zones (laying down, sitting, standing, walking, jogging) which the top 3 are what count as "active time". It not only gives you a total time spent in each zone but a down to the minute breakdown of how it was achieved. It's nice for me to notice just how long the stretches are in front of the monitor at work and how little I get up to do something. It also gives you an "Inactivity Alert" when it notices stretches of 1 hour or longer of low activity during the day. You better get up and move your butt around to avoid the orange triangles!

The unit also measures how long you were asleep which is an easy no-brainer method to track sleep, way easier than trying to track it on my own.

The best part is when you put a HR strap on for a workout as you can see how hard and how long you actually worked out. It shows your normal 5 HR zones and gives you a percentage breakdown as to where you were during the workout. It also gives you an entire HR chart for the length of the workout. Ultimately workouts come down to intensity times duration and it is irrelevant how slow or fast you were going. It is also a great way to track activities that don't lend themselves to the traditional measurement of distance over time like running or cycling. I use it to track my public skating sessions and a friend of mine uses it to track indoor soccer games, a place where you are not allowed to wear a watch but a small bracelet like the Polar Loop is acceptable. When you have the unit linked to a HR strap it will also show your current HR on the Loop as an additional display mode.

So I think the ideal market for the loop is
a) People who are just starting to get more active and would like an initial peek into their lifestyle and how little they actually move during the day.
b) Active athletes who're looking for a super simple way to get their sleep times logged
c) People who are active in sports that can vary in duration and effort and are hard to gauge in your standard metrics of speed and time (baseball, soccer, hockey, skating, volleyball etc.)

For me it was a real eye opener that outside of my active exercising of 8-10+ hours a week I barely move and I hardly get over 5,000 steps in a day.

The Flow web site is still in constant development as is the Flow App for the iPhone and hopefully it will get better with time. As of today, with the latest 1.0.2 version of the FlowSync app it finally sync correctly to the website, before it had issues with resetting the Loop after each upload but that finally has been fixed. Once the initial kinks get fixed and worked out I'll be sure to update my review and rating.
22 comments| 331 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 10, 2015
I picked up the H7 heart rate monitor at the recommendation of a trainer and had been using in conjunction with google fit to keep track of workouts and runs and thought the loop would do a better job than the GPS on my phone. I really like the heart rate monitor and wanted to like the loop. The software for it is just way to buggy. This morning I did an hour long workout, and a 25 minute walk. As you can see by the attached picture, it recorded my hour long work out just fine, but somehow decided my 25 minute walk was two events, one that lasted 14 minutes and the other that lasted 1 hour and 38 minutes. It does this constantly. The other day it told me I worked out for 11 hours. Of course this renders the device useless. I mean, I guess some of the data isn't nonsense, but figuring out which data is real and which isn't, is not my idea of a fun workout.
review image
UPDATE 5/12/2015:

I have been wearing the Polar Loop daily since I got it in October 2014. AND STILL LOVE IT! It is a decent activity tracker, has most features you would look for in one and very reliable. This week Polar released a software update and Notification works again! Every thing runs much smoother and I get nagged on my phone every hour to get up and move around. That was the feature that I was looking for. Polar Loop is a solid, reliable activity tracker. The key is to meet your activity goal every day. You will see the differences in your health. Change my rating to 5 stars.

UPDATE 5/29/15:

The notification feature was supposedly fixed, but now only worked sporadically. I found this out because for several days when I sync'ed my Polar Loop, I had a couple inactivity notifications but got none on my phone. Everything else is still working great.

-----------------------
Polar made excellent HRMs (hear rate monitor) and have been doing it for a long time. I owned the reliable RS100 for more than 5 years now and still going strong. I had to change batteries on both the watch and HRM only once, and just recently. So I have no reservation about the Polar Loop and expect the same performance. I also own a number of other HRMs: Omron, LifeTrack, Basis. I even tried the newest Garmin Vivosmart (I returned this after a day - too expensive, but not vey reliable).

My criteria for this type of devices is as folow: Track steps, calculate calories burnt, knowing when I walk, run or cycling, collect data of sleep pattern. I do not care for smartphone interface as I do not want to be bothered with emails or text notifications. My phone rings or vibrates is enough for me.

The Polar loop seems to fit what I look for well. It tracks step very accurate. I actually walk 125 steps and check its counter. Right on the dot. If you walk regularly, you know how many steps it takes to walk a mile and I am ok with not having the distance. A touch of the button and the Polar Loop tells you what you need to do to meet your daily goal: walk another 30 minutes or stand up an hour or run 15 minutes. Calories count is also useful, but it is an estimation. Polar said that with a HRM, H6 or H7 that costs another $52, calories calculation would be more accurate. With an HRM, you can track sleep pattern too. So I went ahead and order the H7, as it will work with other smart phones and gym equipments.

Now, what I wish for in the Polar loop is some sort of alarm that you can set hourly to tell you to move. I work in an office and constanly have to remind myslef to get up every hours. An hourly alarm would be nice.

Another issue: In order to test the Polar loop, you have to trim the band, or you have to be the Hulk. So, if you cut the band and find out that you don't want it, would you be able to return it? I took my chance and trim the band. So far, I want to keep it. The metal buckle since it is under your wrist, it is easy to get all scratched up, at least mine is.

I like the Polar loop and recommend it. If you want something reliable, decent price that you can wear all day long, this is it.

UPDATE 1/2/15: I have been wearing the Loop every day for 2 months now and still love it! Well, at times I wish it could do more such as knowing when I ride my bike..but have not found anything that compelled me to buy. Other devices are either too expensive or too ugly. They are mostly designed for runners and walkers, but the Loop is doing a very good job of providing this functionality. The other good thing about the Loop is you can wear your watch too on the other arm if you prefer your watch over a dorky looking smart watch. The Loop can be your watch too if needed.
on January 11, 2017
Loved this activity tracker for its merits but not the seller, unfortunately. When I received my Polar Loop, I could see that the package had been previously opened. Everything was intact but not everything was in its original state. Parts were loose and caught between pieces of packaging, outside of the plastic bag where they should've been. It would have been easy to assume that these loose parts had not been included (several of the pins and the tool for affixing them to the buckle and band) but I did find them, eventually. Unfortunately, when I synced the Polar Loop, I received a battery LOW message in Polar Flow despite it simultaneously charging to 100% capacity via USB. A light bulb went on and I realized that this was not brand new, and had most likely been sitting around as overstock somewhere after being returned, with all parts hastily and carelessly, thrown back into the packaging/box by a previous buyer. I have now returned this activity tracker for a full refund. Four stars for the tracker, marked down from five due to the seller. :/ I bought another Polar Loop directly from Polar's website to insure that what I am getting is a brand new Polar Loop with a fresh battery. Correction: Polar is no longer selling the Polar Loop, in lieu of the Polar 2. Good luck with whatever you, the potential buyer, decide. Just remember that a good price is not necessarily a good buy. :-)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 1, 2016
I love Polar products. My fitbit flex died last week and I decided to look for another brand of tracker. Not that I disliked the Fitbit but the Fitbit is a good start but it is really not a great product. You can't get it wet, after a year or so it started getting finnicky, battery was lasting only two days towards the end, just high maintenance thing. I looked at a bunch of activity trackers and decided to go with this one. Polar is a company that has a rep with me of building quality products. I am a longtime user of their Heart Rate Monitors (25 years or so I think).
I am happy I choose this product. The process of cutting the bracelet to fit is not easy but it is not hard either, you just have to be careful and cut less then they recommend and then cut a little more til you have a fit. When you do have it cut you have a much better bracelet than all the other trackers out there because if it opens it probably will not fall off your wrist and a truly appreciate that. The company went with better, not easier The thing with the fitbit is that I had to find it a couple of times because the clasp would open on it's own and it would fall off and I would then have to backtrack to find it. This happenned about 3 times and was very annoying.
I love the screen this product has. Very bright. And playful. Kind of a neat thing and I think what they show is just right. I am still getting used to Polar's web software. Looks interesting but I haven't synced yet. I would love to have someone who would look at my data and work with me on fitness. I wonder if they offer this?
Setup so far was seamless keeping to the tone of Polar products being well built and having the features that are important and not too many features.
I am going to use this product without taking it off...pool, shower...lets see....
I have not set it up with my phone yet but am using the computer and the cable.
I liked Fitbit's autosync feature and this product will not yet do this with a computer but that is OK, not a huge deal.
If I do travel I will have to hook it up to my phone....but was going to avoid that for now.
If this product holds up I will then buy the much more expensive polar fitness watches....
let's see
Looks good and promising so far...
on April 29, 2017
I was looking for a fitness tracker that I could wear while swimming. This one was inexpensive and waterproof, so it's the one I chose. I don't know that it's particularly accurate, but I do like that it keeps track of how much (it thinks) I sleep and ho much activity I've had. The wristband is annoying, though; it is not adjustable, so you have to be very careful to measure & cut it properly. It also occasionally shines in the middle of the night, which I don't like. I did find that I started to get a rash from wearing it all the time, but I finally realized that I can open the latch & push it a bit further up my arm when I sleep, so it will still keep track of my sleep but it won't rub on my skin.

Unlike the name-brand Fitbit, it only synchs through the computer; you can look at your current progress while you're wearing it, but to get any details, you need to plug it in. But, for a low-end fitness tracker, it is quite sufficient.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.