- Use promo code GIFTBOOK18 to save $5.00 when you spend $20.00 or more on Books shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Enter code GIFTBOOK18 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
Polar Express 30th anniversary edition Hardcover – September 15, 2015
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
From the Publisher
North Pole Cozy Cocoa Recipe
Gather the ingredients below.
Pour hot water, sugar, cocoa powder and salt into a large pot. Whisk over medium heat.
When everything is combined, add chocolate chips and whisk mixture until chocolate chips are melted.
Add milk and vanilla and whisk again. Serve with marshmallows or whipped cream!
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ gallon milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
Fun Facts About The Polar Express
In celebration of the 30th anniversary of The Polar Express, enjoy these fun facts about the book!
- The setting of the book is based on Van Allsburg’s childhood home in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- The Pere Marquette 1225 train, now in Owosso, Michigan, was the inspiration for the story. As a child, Chris Van Allsburg played on the engine when it was on display, and to him, the number 1225 meant 12/25, Christmas Day!
- The real 1225 train inspired the animated train, and they recorded the 1225’s different locomotive sounds to use in the movie.
- Chris Van Allsburg said that The Polar Express was the easiest of his picture book manuscripts to write. He created only one draft and had to make only a few changes to the text.
- The Polar Express is done with oil pastels, and to get the night lighting just right, he mixed color complements (reds with greens, oranges with blues) to bring out the hues of colors in low light.
- Van Allsburg has an artistic connection to another Christmas classic — in 2014 he designed the sets for the Michigan Ballet’s performance of The Nutcracker.
“The best book about Santa.”—Entertainment Weekly
“The Polar Express is magic indeed. ”—The New York Times
“Allsburg's mix of meticulousness and mysticism is his own, and his quiet Christmas bell, now run, will not stop ringing.”—Adam Gopnik, author of The King in the Window
“The sumptuous pastel effects make this one of Van Allsburg's most treasured visions.”—Newsweek
“As always, the forms are sculptured, the perspectives as dazzling as they are audacious, the colors rich and elegant, the use of light and shadow masterly.”—Horn Book Guide
“Even the most hardened Santa doubters might find in The Polar Express the faith to believe again.”—American Bookseller
1986 Caldecott Medal Winner
A New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book of the Year
ALA Notable Book for Children
Booklist Editors' Choice
Horn Book Fanfare Selection
Reading Rainbow Review Book
About the Author
Chris Van Allsburg is the winner of two Caldecott Medals, for Jumanji and The Polar Express, as well as the recipient of a Caldecott Honor Book for The Garden of Abdul Gasazi. The author and illustrator of numerous picture books for children, he has also been awarded the Regina Medal for lifetime achievement in children’s literature. In 1982, Jumanji was nominated for a National Book Award and in 1996, it was made into a popular feature film. Chris Van Allsburg is a former instructor at the Rhode Island School of Design. Visit him at chrisvanallsburg.com.
Try the Kindle edition and experience these great reading features:
1,697 customer reviews
Review this product
Showing 1-8 of 1,697 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
This is the 25th anniversary edition. It is supposed to come with a CD (attached to the front inside cover) and an ornament. MAKE SURE YOURS HAS THE ORNAMENT, YOU PAID FOR IT! The first copy I received did not come with an ornament so I contacted Amazon and they sent me a new copy. I received the new one today and it had the ornament attached to the inside of the dust jacket in the back of the book. You will NOT receive a bell ornament. The one that comes with this edition says "All Aboard!"
When this huge box from Amazon showed up, I assumed Amazon was out of smaller shipping boxes. My husband and I couldn't stop laughing when we pulled this book out of the box.
This book is perfect for large audiences (classrooms). Depending on your size, you may need help holding and turning the pages - my husband is 6 foot and he would have benefited from having an assistant page turner.