Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 24 reviews
on January 8, 2014
I ordered two of these; one for myself and one for my wife. I ordered the red one for my wife - and it works great. However, the display on mine - the black one with the red stripe - is so unreadable that I thought it must be broken. I replaced the battery and that didn't fix it. Turns out, that's the way this is made. I didn't notice this in the lineup of different colors to choose from when I ordered, but when I went back and looked - sure enough - the display is different on this particular color (the display has a black background). How on earth did they ever let this product leave the factory? Look at the picture of the watch I'm referring to - now imagine those numbers at 1/4 the brightness shown - you get the picture. Plus, the backlight has virtually zero effect (it's really only useful if you're in the dark).

Of course, this is a complaint towards the manufacturer of the watch - not Amazon. They are exchanging the item for me. As always, Amazon rocks!
on January 16, 2014
The watch part works very well. It is simple to learn and easy to use. I have a small wrist and it is frequently (I've worn it 3 times.) uncomfortable, pinching my wrist and sliding down from a higher on the arm position. My main dislike is the website associated with Polar watches. The arrows on their drop down boxes don't work. I couldn't enter my correct birthday or year. I guess their target customer was born in 1996 or later. The drop downs in the date entry area didn't work either. I would not have purchased their product if I had gone to the website first. I couldn't even enter the correct product to register it. NOT a happy camper today.
on July 13, 2014
I originally purchased this for use when I travel and because I suspected the heartrate monitor on my exercise bike loses my heartrate occasionally or miscalculates it about 10-15 beats/minute less than actual. I have found the FT7's displayed heartrate to be accurate and responds quickly to changes in HR.

The instructions it came with were pretty basic, but you can find more in depth instructions on the web site. Like some other reviews, I would like to have seen a screen that showed both heartrate and elapsed time on the same screen. But, the strap is very comfortable, I don't even realize I have it one once I start exercising. The calorie counter assumes you are walking/jogging/running. It would be nice if you could have programmed the form of exercise. For example, I bike. And so I'm not burning calories at the same rate as a jogger. The calorie count on the watch is about 35% higher than my personal exercise bike and an exercise bike I used at a hotel for several days. But heartrate is spot on so far. And I've had no problems with the sensor detecting my heart beat, even when completely dry. I have also found the screen to be easy to read even in direct sunlight.
on August 18, 2013
Basically I am happy with the wrist part of the monitor. After reading the instructions and a you tube video, I found the buttons intuitive. I can't read the monitor without my glasses, but I know which buttons to push to stop and start the program. I became familiar with the look of the various screens, the numbers are big enough to read my heart rate and make out whether I'm in my aerobic zone or not while I am swimming. So, using it during swimming is fine. But.......

The band supplied with the wrist monitor works fine in my land classes, but stops registering the minute I jump in the water.

Nowhere on the web site does it say that you need the T coded band. If you click on swimming, they suggest this monitor for swimming. After reading other reviews and Polar forums, it looked like I would have to spend more money on the T coded band. I ordered the coded band and the wrist monitor works as it should.

Summary:I find this easy to use and works as expected. I've had the system for just over a month and all is working as it should. But I'm peeved at the significant extra expense involved.
on June 5, 2014
Despite bearing the well-respected Polar brand this is still just another Chinese made watch that is cheaply built and not very durable. I had a previous off brand that worked as well and had a few more functions than the polar and costs about 2/3rd as much. That watch disappeared from an unlocked gym locker. I've had the FT7 for a little over a year. The face of the FT7 scratches easily. Battery life is just about a year and replacement is tricky. Took me about 30 minutes to get the battery contacts to line up and the watch to turn on. Buttons do not have a positive click and it sometimes takes a couple of tries to activate the function controlled by the button. The size is one advantage as some sports watches are excessively bulky. Heart rate strap does produce a signal that is picked up by most of the exercise equipment in the gym that have HR features, but the range for the watch is more limited than the previous cheaper watch I had. If the hand with the watch drops and stays well below my waist the HR signal is sometimes lost (and yes, that is with new batteries in both the watch and HR module). Overall, once the face becomes so scratched that it becomes difficult to read (I'm guessing another year or two), I'll replace it with a different brand.
on November 4, 2013
I called back and this time got a person who led me through a troubleshooting procedure. He decided to send me a new strap which arrived in a few days, and since then I've had no problems at all. This has allowed me to factor in walking to the gym into my calorie expenditure, as well as giving the house a good cleaning. I guess any company can have some duds.

I'm planning to buy one for my boyfriend for Christmas.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous review:
It has problems from my first use -- just stopped getting a reading form the chest strap, I guess. I got error message that are 1) not in the manual (there's no "troubleshooting" section) 2) not at the website 3) I called and after waiting from the 5th caller got a message that they couldn't talk to me and it hung up.

WTF!!!

I'm looking around forums and things to find any answers to my issues.

Not happy.
on May 3, 2014
Monitor works well, uses wireless transmitter between chest heart rate monitor and watch. Was somewhat surprised that my heart rate showed up not only on the watch, but also on the machine despite not being connected to the machine. While that is nice, was a little more disturbing when I noticed my heart rate showed up not only on my treadmill, but also on the ones to the right and left, and on the ones to the right and left of that. So not really practical for use in crowded gym, at least with the model treadmills LA Fitness uses.
As noted in other reviews, to keep batteries on chest unit from discharging, need to remove from strap after use.
on July 17, 2014
I've been very pleased with this watch/heart rate monitor. I was getting migraines from exercising at too high of a heart rate and was advised by a friend to look into a monitor. This one has met my needs. It tracks my heart rate so I know if I need to slow down or pick up the pace. The beeps are fairly quiet so I can't hear them in my exercise class. There's no way to turn it up that I've found. I do really like the post workout summary and the ability to compare my past efforts. The chest strap is surprisingly comfortable and hardly noticeable during exercise. I honestly forget in wearing the strap. The appearance is also quite well designed-I love the little feminine detailed on the face.
on March 25, 2014
The watch fits fine and the fabric chest strap is a nice feature. I have two complaints:

1. Even when using ultrasound gel on strap sensors, I still have frequent sync issues during my workouts (mostly cardio with some strength training). Moving the chest strap around, and slathering the strap with ultrasound gel has offered some relief, though not consistently.

2. It's very difficult to read the watch under low light conditions, and the backlight is a joke. I didn't think it would be much of an issue, but I find myself straining to read the display when I'm working out at night in my seemingly well-lit basement.

If i had to do it again, I'd certainly explore other options before buying the FT7.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2013
I'm not sure how it compares as I never had another to compare to. However the watch and strap combo seems to be easy to set up and function. It has a basic watch mode which is great but I wear it for the monitoring. The heart rate seems accurate and has a calorie screen, duration screen,effect screen ( what zone your in i.e. fat burning, fitness )and can be paused I guess for bathroom breaks at the gym. Strap is very adjustable and fabric is stretchy to fit snug, strap is easy to put on but I'm a athletic guy. I'm happy with the tool and under $85 I believe it's a fantasic purchase. Oh, it has a backlit button which stays on about 5 seconds, also backlites when scrolling through screens.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.