|Digital List Price:||$11.99|
|Print List Price:||$14.95|
Save $5.36 (36%)
The Politics of Down Syndrome Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
It is this ignorance that has spawned the most upsetting and distressing discrimination against people with Down's Syndrome.
Maybe things are a bit better than they were a while ago, but there is still a long road to travel before we can say we're a fully inclusive society.
I personally think it's 'medicine' that needs to change, rather than politics having had years of dealing with doctors for my youngest sibling who is, firstly a person, not a 'sufferer' of a 'syndrome'.
His book describes how we as a society have created a terrible assumption that Down's = suffering, expense, low-life expectancy, early death, unemployment etc etc and we routinely 'screen' expectant mothers sending a 'very strong signal from the very start, principally that Down syndrome is such a serious condition that a national screening program is necessary; which is the case in the UK and of many other Western countries.'
A person with Down's syndrome is a person, not an expense on society's budget.
I applaud Kieron's worthy writing.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Teaching > Schools & Teaching > Special Education > Learning Disabled
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Medical Ethics
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Parenting
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Ethics & Morality
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Sociology > Medicine
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Education & Reference
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Parenting & Relationships
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Education & Teaching > Teacher Resources > Special Education > Learning Disabilities
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Medical eBooks > Physician & Patient > Medical Ethics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Parenting & Relationships > Parenting > Morals & Responsibility
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Ethics & Morality