Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon ballerss3 ballerss3  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Tailgating FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > The Confession: A Novel forum

Politics in books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2010, 6:43:14 AM PST
I don't really understand the people who are upset with John for writing a story with a particular angle, in this case against the death penalty. How else should he convey what his character feels about an issue. If you don't subscribe to those same views, then just enjoy the story for what it is, a great legal thriller. And if you consistently find yourself repulsed by his stories, well then stop reading them.
For the record, I am a conservative and I happen to be pro death penalty, and John Grisham is one of my favorite authors.

Posted on Dec 2, 2010, 12:46:19 PM PST
Lotsaluck says:
The reason that we are disappointed in the Confession is that he sacrifices story telling to score political points. He loses readability and believability when he loads the deck so much on the one side. There is no suspense (I would assume those reviewers to claimed this to be suspenseful just liked to hear the death penalty bashed), the characters are unreal, even the situation strains credibility. Could all of those things happen all at once to one person? Karma must have really been paying him back. When it turns out that the prosecutor was having an affair with the judge you really have to wonder what Grisham was thinking.

For the record, Tom Clancy has had the same problems. His novels were getting more and more right-wing and less and less readable. It is not a problem with Grisham, nor with lefties. It is a problem with making fiction out of political diatribe.

In Grishams case, I guess he was disappointed with the reception to his _An Innocent Man_ (mentioned by many reviewers) because it was non-fiction and there were real people out there disputing his version of the story, refuting a number of key facts and conclusions. Grisham decided to write a book that no one could refute, since it is fiction.

Posted on Dec 29, 2010, 12:58:29 PM PST
D. Rossi says:
I happen to be pro death penalty in extreme cases where DNA evidence is irrefutable. However, I found this book to be interesting and fast-paced. I couldn't put it down. Yes, it was full of stereotypes and a strong lean to the left. It still made for a great story.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
The Confession: A Novel
The Confession: A Novel by John Grisham (Hardcover - October 26, 2010)
4.1 out of 5 stars (2,436)