Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)
|Price:||$112.99 & FREE Shipping. Details|
- Single 10-inch subwoofer in black with built-in high-current amplifier for big bass
- Equipped with one 10-inch polymer-composite dynamic-balance cone driver
- Laser-based Klippel measurement technology for improved linearity and deep, precise sound
- Non-resonant all-MDF enclosure construction with 0.75-inch-thick baffles and internal bracing
- Measures 14 by 14.38 by 16.12 inches (WxHxD)
- Polk Audio loudspeakers and subwoofers are capable of playing at extremely high volume levels. You should limit prolonged exposure to volumes that exceed 85 decibels(dB).
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Brand Name: Polk Audio
- Model Number: AM1055-C
- Color: Black
- Speaker Type: Subwoofers
- Speaker Connectivity: Wired
Compare to Similar Items
This item: Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)
Yamaha YST-SW216BL Subwoofer B000FJ89UO
|Price||$112.99||Add to cart to see product details. Why?||$199.99||$129.95|
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Output Wattage||50 Watts||100 Watts||460 Watts||100 Watts|
|Frequency Response Curve||35 Hz - 200 Hz||28Hz-200Hz||23Hz- 160Hz||40 Hz - 140 Hz|
|Impedance||Information not provided||6 Ohm||8||0|
|Dimensions||14.38 inches x 16.13 inches x 14 inches||0 inches x 0 inches x 0 inches||16.13 inches x 18.19 inches x 15.13 inches||13.34 inches x 15.19 inches x 13.34 inches|
Please help us improve this feature. Tell us what you think of this feature.
From the Manufacturer
Top Customer Reviews
Before I start off, I would like to clarify one thing about the PSW-10 that might unjustly turn off potential buyers from it: it runs at 50 watts RMS. In the world of music and sound systems, one of the biggest misconceptions out there is that wattage directly correlates with how loud a speaker is. THIS IS NOT NECCESARILY TRUE! The efficiency of the driver determines how loud it gets at a certain wattage, not only the amount of power you're pumping into it! This is why you can buy, for example, computer speakers that boast 400watts of power and have them easily massacred in terms of volume by speaker set ups with half the power (for further examples, compare computer speaker systems to shelf systems to a true sound system. You will find the volume, at a given wattage, tends to increase as you go down the spectrum).
I found the PSW-10 easily competed in terms of volume with every other sub in it's range, including those running at twice to three times the power RMS. If you want to prove it to yourself, run down to your local Circuit City (who sells Polk subs) and sound test it yourself.
Now, onto the guts of the review.
1. As far as entry subwoofers come, this is probably the best bang for your buck that you can find bar none, especially considering the quality of the build. Built around high quality medium density fiberboard and using a highly efficient 10" driver, the PSW-10 manages to bang as well, if not louder, than other subwoofers in this category, despite running at 50 watts RMS.
2.Read more ›
The only caveat is that the subwoofer input has two connectors, but you really only need to connect one of them. The manual is far from clear about this, and plenty of people will probably spend extra on a Y cable, or worse yet, put in an adapter which will add both cost and loss of fidelity. But just connecting to the left input works fine. Subwoofers are mono anyway, and the double inputs are primarily there to make certain wiring configurations easier, not to add more sound fidelity.
- To revive a decades old stereo system with the least amount of money
- Take the bass load off the smaller speakers so they could express better mids and highs
- Lessen the power load on the receiver by adding a powered subwoofer
- Add more plucky, clean, musical bass rather than boom and vibration
I could not justify spending a lot of money on my audio hobby right now. An expensive sub, or one made for home theatre that's meant to vibrate the house, was not in my plans. The more I read about this little sub, the more I felt it was worth $100. Now, if you forgo the cherry veneer version of the Polk PSW10, you save about $40. With super-saving shipping and tax, I paid $108 through Amazon. With another $50 in new speaker wire and banana plugs and pins, I basically built a new speaker system.
Once I got the unit unpacked, I wired it up and started experimenting with the placement, volume, and low pass in order to make it work seamlessly with the main speakers. [Note on wiring: my receiver has no sub outputs so I had to wire everything through the sub's crossover using Monster QuickLock MKII Gold Flex Pin Connectors For Easy Self Crimping Terminations - 2 pr. It was easy enough. Use a run of speaker wire from your amp to the sub, and then another run from the sub to the main speakers].
Some reviewers complained of booming muddy bass from this unit. I experienced this at first, so I moved the sub around the room in different positions and at different sub volume settings. Every room, amp, and set of speakers brings a bunch of variables to positioning, so take a few hours to work out the kinks.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Sounds great but you have to put it quite far away from you to isolate the port noisePublished 2 days ago by Elamae Dixon
I'm putting this up for those who would like this. I've had 2 of these now, first one lasted just over 3 years, second just over a year. Read morePublished 6 days ago by Steven B.
This is a true bargain. Everybody seems to have jacked up their price on subwoofers recently. so the price is great. Read morePublished 6 days ago by NomDePlume
OMG I love this sub!!! So so so happy I found and bought it. It's so powerful. I'd give it twenty stars if I could! Read morePublished 8 days ago by CMiller799
If you are looking of a great sub, look no further. I use this thing every time I watch a movie or listening to music. This is a very well made product. I love how it sound. Read morePublished 8 days ago by Jean Debrosse