Add to your order
from Asurion, LLC $21.99
- NO ADDITIONAL COST: You pay $0 for repairs – parts, labor and shipping included.
- COVERAGE: Plan starts on the date of purchase. Malfunctions covered after the manufacturer's warranty. Power surges covered from day one.
- EXPERT TECH HELP: Real experts available 24/7 to help with set-up, connectivity issues, troubleshooting and much more.
- PRODUCT ELIGIBILITY: Plans cover products purchased in the last 30 days.
- EASY CLAIMS PROCESS: File a claim anytime online or by phone. Most claims approved within minutes. If we can’t repair it, we’ll send you an Amazon e-gift card for the purchase price of your covered product or replace it.
Polk Audio Monitor 40 Series II Bookshelf Speaker (Black, Pair) - Big Sound, High Performance | Perfect for Small or Medium Size Rooms
|List Price:||$179.00 Details|
|With Deal:||$159.00 & FREE Returns|
|You Save:||$20.00 (11%)|
|Audio Output Mode||Surround, Stereo|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||13 x 7 x 15.8 inches|
About this item
- FROM THE BESTSELLING MONITOR SERIES – This bookshelf is equipped with (1) 1" Dynamic Balance dome tweeter and (2) 5-1/4" Dynamic Balance woofers that delivers HIGH QUALITY AND GREAT POWER IN A 2-WAY DESIGN
- INCREDIBLE SOUND AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE – Enjoy clear, crisp and spacious stereo sound with wider dispersion for lifelike 3-dimensional audio in your bedroom, living or entertainment room
- DELIVERS DETAILED HIGH FREQUENCY RESPONSE WITH REALISTIC REPRODUCTION OF VOCALS & INSTRUMENTS – Powerful deep bass, better mid-range and superior audio are sure to bring your party and movie nights to life
- CREATE A COMPLETE AND IMMERSIVE HOME THEATER SETUP by combining two bookshelf speakers with a Polk CS1 Center Speaker for any small or medium sized room and adding Polk Monitor 60 or 70 Tower Speakers for surround sound in larger rooms
- Polk's UNWAVERING COMMITMENT, RELIABILITY, AND CRAFTSMANSHIP has made it one of the most trusted names in home audio speakers and entertainment systems. They bring out BEST IN TECHNOLOGY, so you can SIT BACK, RELAX AND LISTEN WITH YOUR HEART.
Buy this product as Renewed and save $10.80 off the current New price.
Works and looks like new and backed by the Amazon Renewed Guarantee
Frequently bought together
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question might be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who bought this product.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
Compare with similar items
Polk Audio T15 100 Watt Home Theater Bookshelf Speakers – Hi-Res Audio with Deep Bass Response | Dolby and DTS Surround | Wall-Mountable| Pair, Black
Klipsch R-41M Powerful Detailed Bookshelf Home Speaker Set of 2 Black
Sony SSCS5 3-Way 3-Driver Bookshelf Speaker System (Pair) - Black
Klipsch R-51PM Powered Bluetooth Speaker
Yamaha NS-6490 3-Way Bookshelf Speakers Finish (Pair) Black
|Sold By||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Electronics Expo||Amazon.com||JRsourcing||Cyber Over Stock|
|Item Dimensions||13 x 7 x 15.8 inches||7.3 x 6.5 x 10.7 inches||7.87 x 5.75 x 11.3 inches||17.9 x 10.7 x 16.2 inches||8.5 x 7 x 13.3 inches||13 x 13 x 25 inches|
|Item Weight||1.00 lbs||8.25 lbs||7.00 lbs||19.90 lbs||10.60 lbs||29.30 lbs|
|Mounting Type||Bookshelf||Wall Mount||bookshelf||bookshelf||—||Bookshelf|
The name Monitor is special to Polk. The original Polk Monitor Series, produced in the mid-1970s, ushered in the modern loudspeaker era by setting the standard for performance and value. The original Monitor Series is the line that made Polk famous with its simple, sturdy construction, clear, accurate sound, powerful bass and superior imaging all at a price that made great sound available to everyone. The reborn Monitor Series is classic Polk: a quality-built, affordable line of high performance loudspeakers for music and home theater. They are highly efficient, so they can be driven easily by unpretentious receivers, and they are voice matched for lifelike surround sound environments. The Monitor Series boasts a stylish look that complements today's flat screen technology, with wood grain finishes and modern Titanium faces. Built for speed, sound and value, the Monitor Series is a great introduction to high performance sound.
Reviews with images
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
These speakers produce a very natural and superbly balanced sound for the price point they compete in; which is to say that these speakers are a big notch above entry-level budget speakers. I added these monitors to a 5.1 set up - replacing the front channel speakers - so that I could listen to music in plain stereo. These are Bi-Amped to my Yamaha Advantage receiver. The bi-amping did make a substantial sound difference, especially with opening up the high-end frequency range.
So far (after 3 years), here is the report card I give them:
1) Sound imaging and detail reproduction: B+
2) Clarity: A-
3) Highs: B+/A-
4) Midrange: A-
5) Sensitivity: A-
6) Construction, Fit, and finish= B. Let's be real... if you are looking for audiophile high gloss piano finish furniture you will pay a lot more. But these monitors look just fine to me and I am very satisfied with their construction and quality. I will note, that while these monitors do have the bare minimum amount of internal insulation and bracing, but in 3 years I have never noticed or heard any sort of sound resonance, distortion, or vibration - which kind of defies logic.
7) Bass: B+. I say this because I have a separate RSL subwoofer and my home theater set-up and it just sounds better with the sub in play than without it. In a pure stereo 2.0 mode, the bass these monitors produce is bright, clean, and solid, but just a bit underwhelming without the sub engaged. The bass on these speakers lacks the solid impact that you come to expect from a separate sub, especially when watching movies (hence a B grade). But when the sub is engaged for either music or home theater, these speakers deliver sound reproduction nicely.
When listening to music in the stereo configuration (with the subwoofer turned off) and these speakers deliver a very natural, balanced, and blended sound with plenty of bass to satisfy. Doubtless, there are few speakers that can deliver authoritative low-frequency effects in home theater mode, which is why I think these pair perfectly with a sub for that situation.
All-in-all, these speakers are a fantastic value for the quality of true hi-fi stereo sound that they deliver. At this price point ($300 for the pair), I think these might be the very best floor standing speakers you can buy. It is worthy to note that these are really budget speakers that acoustically punch well above their price point making them a surprising value for any listener. Since I purchased these speakers in 2017, I have been absolutely delighted with their sound and feel that you might have to pay two or three times more to find a better set of speakers anywhere. So if you are looking to break into better speakers on a budget, these are definitely worth your consideration.
All the best!
Not only in it's current price range, but in it's original 349 price range either. You'll be hard pressed to find a better sounding SET of speakers for under 500 dollars.
With that said, they need POWER to make them sing. I'm running a Pioneer Elite VSX-LX301 and have the front monitor 40s bi-amped, also I have m40s for rears too. Excellent setup. I was running them single amped with an older Sony 710 receiver and they sounded just OK. Then I bi amped them with the sony and they lit up. Once I upgraded to the better AVR they now absolutely SING!
The highs are bright at +3db Treble (old amp and single amped they were slightly muffled at +6 treble) but never Klipsch style fatiguing. The bass could leave one wanting more, but in my experience there is no other 5in woofer that sounds as deep and punchy, I'd even go so far as to say theres no 6.5in woofer that impacts like these do.
They need room to breath. They are DEEP, almost 17in deep with grills on. They're rear ported so you need at LEAST a foot from the wall for them to really shine. Or closer to the wall, with the port centered in a corner. It gives a nice bass boost in corner placement.
The Bass. When I first auditioned them in bi-amp on my Pioneer, I went to turn off the sub during a Dire Staits song only to find that I'd never turned the sub on. Wow.
These speakers are "hi res" without the shiny label. They have the same Hz rating on high end as hi res labeled speakers do, without the gimmicky pricing.
Music - they shine. They're crisp and impactful without being fatiguing. I've noticed nuances before not heard. (I've owned everything from bose to infinity to B&W)
Movies/TV - these sound so good in the fronts that I need to now upgrade my center speaker to keep up with them. My center is +4db and my fronts are -2db (Polk T30 and older Boson acoustics both are hard pressed to keep up)
The M40s in the rear are equally impressive. I have them set to -1 on rear channels and they still give me emerson I've not heard before.
TLDR = if you have the power to throw at these, they will NOT disappoint. They sound as good, if not better, than my Monitor 50 sii did, and in a smaller package.
If you're considering these, buy them. Buy them now. The Polk Monitor line is considered entry level, but these 40s, as well as the 70s prove that design is far more important than inflated prices.
Side note, I also auditioned the "legendary" ELAC B6.2 and was unimpressed with them. Follow your ears, not the ears of reviewers who are paid to talk up little known speaker companies.
You'll thank me later.
Top reviews from other countries
It seems to be a heavy plastic case. Wood would be more natural sounding but sounds good anyway.