Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

• Ponyo
  • Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(3 star, Verified Purchases). See all 996 reviews
on May 14, 2017
this is so confusing whats up with ham who likes ham so much so so so so so confused
on January 7, 2017
OOOPs does not work on North American dvd players!
on August 23, 2015
Not my fav prom this producer but needed to be added to the collection.
on May 5, 2014
This is a film for five year olds and feels like it. I've seen it twice now and it still lacks the sense of wonder and mind-blowing awe of Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, or even My Nrighbor Totoro (all much better films). It does not have the zing of Howl's Moving Castle, which was superior to this. Ponyo is a strange re-write of The Little Mermaid, it is yet another Miyazaki's environmental films. While it is enjoyable, it just didn't work for me. Some of the colors seem to be more muted, the characters more low key, and the magic not so magical. Even with the story of the balance of nature being out of whack, the Moon coming towards Earth, the waters flooding the land, what I wanted was more of the Mother Sea (Cate Blanchett) character and not so much of Ponyo (Noah Cyrus). A 5 year would be excited by this film, while I wasn't. I still love Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Porco Rosso, but not this one. I watched all the extra features on the DVD and played with the interactive menus on the second disc, and I was very interested in what Miyazaki had to say and interested in where he got his ideas. I especially liked the documentary on Seto Inland Sea, which he visited and is the setting of Ponyo. But I also liked what he had to say about his other other films, such as Kiki's Delivery Service.
on February 10, 2017
It's a decent Studio Ghibli film, but I do not find the plot all that gripping. It's a good family movie, but Studio Ghibli has many better films.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2015
This movie is not meant for adults. It's a kid-friendly whimsy trip for 4-8 year-olds which is what I believe Miazaki was going for. Don't expect it to make much sense or be particularly riveting, but it's very visually appealing and might keep your little one captivated for the duration. In fact, I highly recommend watching it with your child. You may have more fun watching your kid as they watch the movie rather than watching the movie yourself.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2014
The movie was great but about 3/4 of the way through the movie froze on a scene and skipped ahead a few minutes and then not too long after that it did it again and completely froze. So unfortunately I sent it back to the seller. If the movie didn't glitch then without question 5 stars.
on July 22, 2013
I didn't particularly care for this movie and its story line. The animation was great and the overall idea for the story was definitely Miyazaki style. I just didn't fall in love with this movie as I did with some of his others.
on December 12, 2014
Not my favorite from Studio Ghibli. If i hear the word "ham!" one more time, I will scream. An aged child will like this show and only fear-mongering parents will notice the inattentive mother.
on April 18, 2014
This is not as great as Totoro or Kiki's delivery. It is also a little spooky or mysterious and not straightforward.