Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 8, 2008
I had high hopes due to high reviews, but I was very unhappy to find that only a small section of the book is actually about plants! You would think with a name like "Poolscaping" that the book would have had more to do about plants and landscaping around the pool. The book is instead divided in chapters about how to build a pool and many pictures on waterfalls and spa's. Very generic as a whole.
on June 3, 2016
ok, not alot of practical ideas for my terrrain.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 13, 2003
I was a little disapointed when I first got this book as the photos weren't all eye-popping fancy layouts - BUT - - I have found the book surprisingly good to read!! I've been up late every night pouring over it's content. It's written very, very well and you will learn some great hints, regardless of budget. I am so pleased I decided to write a review (which I've never done). I hope the authors continue to write on this suject! It's a GREAT BOOK! Thank you!
on May 22, 2003
This book is a must have! It is beautifully illustrated and very informative. If you own a pool or are thinking about getting one this book is a great investment. It covers everything from choosing a design for your pool to plants and lighting. The pictures are spectacular! I Preordered this book and I'm glad I did. It was worth the wait.
on September 2, 2014
EXCELENT BOOK
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 9, 2005
Based on the description, I believed this book would be full of design ideas and photos of well-landscaped pools. It isn't. If you are looking (as I was) for examples to show a landscaper (or to do it yourself), you should look elsewhere.
11 comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 14, 2003
The writer starts out with "Swimming pools have come a long way from the turquoise water holes surrounded by stark paving. Increasingly pools are being integrated into the design of the house and garden..."
I'm happy to see a book on this topic, especially one written by an accomplished writer and photographer. Many garden swimming pools stand out like a sore thumb - a harsh rectangle of Hollywood blue water with cold tile edges. They're lovely and cool in hot weather, but UGLY. Anything that helps to change or disguise this is all good.
The writer has many suggestions for doing just this. She addresses in depth topics such as decking, enclosures, structures, furniture and plantings. She has researched and offers suggestions for problems such as awkward rocky sites and the need to have an enclosure around the pool that doesn't block the view or make the place look like a prison.
It was good to see a generous number of pages given to plants and plantings - everything from container planting to landscaping the entire site. The writer also focuses on planning ahead when installing a pool or landscaping around it, and on matters relating to the budget. Both are very important and often overlooked..
The writer obviously has an encyclopedic knowledge of her topic and her writing is crisp and to-the-point. She understands the issues facing people who want to integrate their pool into their garden and addresses them directly. Her photographs illustrate her points with relevance and clarity. I'd recommend this book to anyone trying to add some style and class to a garden with a swimming pool.
0Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 14, 2003
on August 29, 2003
I loved the book for design ideas. Although the book contains pools that must cost over 50K, you can get some great ideas from it. We have a palper's budget, but there were a lot of beautiful photo's to get you started and give you ideas to break the standard ho hum swimming pool look. Designers in our area had no imagination and some told us that we do not have room on our property for a pool,,, bah humbug! We're not going with the 'sale pool package' most companies wanted to sell us, but we still will have a pool worthy of their next book (cross my fingers!!) for a few dollars more. We just had to find the right company with a little creativity.
on August 21, 2007
This book was an excellent resource for the designer looking to work with swimming pools. The ilustrated examples and artistic tips were an invauable inspiration for sparking the imagination when designing pools. Before reading this I did think of pools as slabs of concrete filled with water, but I believe this book has put far down the path of being able to design elegant swimming pools. I consider this a must read for any architectural designer.