Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 17, 2009, 11:31:04 PM PDT
Li says:
1. This set of CDs is with annoying music pieces. 1 star is to be deducted;
2. In some parts the music is mingled with the reading. 1 more star deducted;
3. In some parts ( the endings of the sentences) the reading is overwhelmed by music. 1 more star deducted;
4. The volume is not uniformed. Sometimes when reading in a low tone, it's too low to be heard. 1 more star deducted;
5. This set is unabridged with all the 4 novels and 56 short stories. 1 star is left.

Recently I received the CDs "The Count of Monte Cristo" published by Blackstone Audio Inc. I like this set very much, as the narrator's voice is nice, the recording is clear, without any music to bother the reading and vex the listeners.
I wonder why some people so stubbornly hold the deluded belief that the listeners will enjoy those broken pieces of music when they listen to book reading.
I used to discuss with some people and learned that all my known listeners, when they listen to the book reading they are not in any mood to enjoy music as the music mingled with the reading is no better than the background noise. They just hope to concentrate on the book reading with the narrator's clear voice only. Maybe that is why "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Blackstone is nominated for the Best Classical Audiobook.
I hope the sophisticated and qualified producers of Blackstone Audio Inc to make another purified set of Complete Sherlock Holms CDs with the narrator's voice only. I am sure it will be welcome, praised and really enjoined by many people. I shall be eagerly expecting it.

Posted on Sep 16, 2009, 1:27:29 PM PDT
paul says:
Most of the reviews are of the book not audio cds. Is there a review of the audio cds of the Complete Sherlock Holmes? Amazon frequently prints reviews of the book under the audio book edition. Does Amazon know the difference between a printed book and an audio book?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2009, 6:34:37 AM PST
Thank you for a great review. I was considering purchasing the CDs instead of the book but will now move to the book. You are right, the music is annoying and interferes with the story.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2010, 5:16:59 AM PST
gilly8 says:
Agree, don't like background music etc on books on CD or tape....btw in my opinion Jim Dale reading the entire Harry Potter series on books on CD is best ever reader...and I listen to many books on CD (in my commute to and from work mainly). He manages to "do" an amazing number of different voices which include men, women, girls, boys, creatures...etc....and you can tell immediately WHO is talking when he is the voice. HIGHLY recommended. I enjoyed the series in book form; and even more, believe it or not, in book on CD form w/ Dale reading. (And, yes, I'm an adult!)

Posted on Apr 30, 2012, 1:09:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2012, 1:09:53 PM PDT
MztCB says:
The music does not interfere with the reading of the stories in any way all the words and stories can be heard just fine. I understand classical music may not be to everyone's taste but the reading is clear and amazing. He does many different voices and reads all 56 stories and 4 novels all very well. He also includes a story at the end he wrote himself after reading all the ACD ones. Too bad if you let yourslf be deprived of these great recordings and stories just because at the begining and end of the stories there is a few seconds of chamber music which is really just to enhance the stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012, 1:12:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 23, 2014, 12:18:31 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Jul 17, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about
The Complete Sherlock Holmes (Vintage Classics)
The Complete Sherlock Holmes (Vintage Classics) by Arthur Conan Doyle (Hardcover - June 1, 2009)
4.5 out of 5 stars (1,444)