Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

Popcorn & Nut Salt - 24 oz
Size: Pack of 1|Change

on August 10, 2016
This is very fine salt - the finest grain I have ever had, though Morton has a "salt flour" product I have never tried which could beat this one. There seems to be a lot of disagreement in these reviews over how salty the flavor, aka how fine the powder is. Typically saltiness flavor will most correlate with faster dissolving on the tongue tracks with smaller crystal size -- so "smaller crystals" == "saltier". Smaller crystals will also pack tighter so you get more grams of salt per teaspoon and so in the context of recipes smaller crystals also == saltier (unless you adjust volumes used which you should -- really those recipes should specify grams of salt not volumes for reproducibility.)

So, to (perhaps) add more information to the pro/con arguments, I took a photo of 3 salts next to a ruler (finest notches are 1/16 of an inch). Left-to-right the salt samples are Diamond Crystal Iodized Table Salt from a large cannister, Morton's Popcorn Salt from the 3.75oz mini-cannister, and this Diamond Crystal Popcorn & Nut Salt. You can see the rightmost (this product) has the smallest average crystal size, Morton's are larger (and also more regular in size), and the ordinary "fine table salt" is more varied -- there are crystals as small as this popcorn & nut salt, but also much larger ones, too.

Two other methodologies for "more objective comparisons" might be a"dissolving in water timing test" and a "density test" -- say accurately measure the volume of 1 gram of each kind of salt. I didn't have the best tools to run either of those tests on hand. As it was, my cell phone was quite reluctant to focus on the tiny crystals.
review image
on May 10, 2014
I eat popcorn as a snack, it is my favorite snack, I scour the internet for different varieties I have not had, I have my favorites. I bought this popcorn because of what I read, smaller granules = better taste because more sticks to the popcorn. In my experience with this product I have not had those results. All my salt still falls to the bottom of the bowl and I find I am using more of this stuff than the regular salt I always used. And this stuff is expensive! Should have just stuck with what was working, normal salt. I know I will not buy this again.
on December 29, 2014
Just one tiny pinch and it perfectly salts your popcorn. I got this because normal salt does not evenly season the popcorn. This is just plain powdered salt, no flavoring or any other seasonings added, in case you were wondering. You get plenty of salt, this 24 oz container is more than enough to last a few years lol I did not expect it to salt the popcorn so easily, seriously just one pinch can salt an entire 5 oz of popcorn.
on May 11, 2013
We have reverted from bagged microwave popcorn to using a popcorn bowl (Nordicware, I think) and corn kernels which allows us to do our own butter and seasonings. And having a fine-ground salt that actually sticks to the popped kernels is essential. This seems a little pricey when you consider the size of a jar of salt at the grocery store, but the first time you use it you will think of it as the best $8 you have spent in awhile!
on June 11, 2014
The fine powder like salt sticks to our kettle corn. Unlike those who use morton salt this product is much better.
I will be ordering more soon. As a matter of fact I need to order a dozen more now.
on January 9, 2008
This stuff is great. Since it is a fine powder, it covers very uniformly and sticks a little better. I am confident that I use less salt since I don't have as many large "rock salt" chunks, so I use it on everything.

Yes, it isn't iodized, but I don't count on salt for my iodine anyway. I seem to have avoided goiters since iodine it is included in multivitamins and many fortified foods like cereal.

Keep your chunky sea-salt, it is a gimmick and tests show no one can tell the difference between sea-salt and regular. The same goes for gimmicky brown "unrefined" sugar. Which reminds me - I use less sugar when I sprinkle cereal, etc, with powdered sugar.
on July 12, 2014
I really don't remember rating this before. I think this has a nice stickability to the popcorn so it doesn't take so much. It doesn't have any special flavorings so it just makes it taste good, not flavored. I have tried flavored brands, but I have to waste too much in order to get flavor. I liked it enough to reorder.
on December 20, 2013
Finely ground salt is good for popcorn and nuts. It sticks.

But think about all the salt that bounces off your french fries. This stuff will not bounce. In fact, you may use it more on french fries than on popcorn or nuts.

How about onion rings or chicken fingers? Sticks better on your hand for tequila shots.

You have to pay more for finely ground salt, which does not seem right. It is still just sodium chloride. Must be a supply/demand thing.

And you have to be a little goofy to pay so much attention to your salt.

But, what the hell. Viva goofy.
on April 30, 2011
I actually bought this for homemade french fries, after noticing that fast food restaurants use a special "French Fry Salt" in their kitchens. This is essentially just finely granulated (not powdered) salt. As a result, it clings better to the surface of small foods, and doesn't add the crunch and grit of standard granulated salt.
on July 3, 2015
I'll definitely be back to buy more. This size will last quite a while, although we've now started using it on other foods besides popcorn. This salt is very, very fine, and it clings to the food better then regular iodized table or sea salt. Great on burgers & chicken too.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.