Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Popular Survey of the New Testament
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on October 4, 2009
"Popular Survey of the New Testament" by Norman L. Geisler is the text book for a course that I am taking called New Testament Survey. I had never envisioned the New Testament in the way that Dr. Geisler does. I understood that it was about Christ's life on earth and of his ministry, and teachings but so much more has been revealed through this study. The book gives a firm historic foundation as well as interpretation of scriptures which are insightful as well as intriguing. If you want to know more about the New Testament Scriptures, Jesus'life, mission, and where we fit in all this, please read this book and follow along with the bible readings. It will be a true eye opener for you, and I hope a life changing event as well.
on October 20, 2015
The book is quite good, but I'm not convinced of its overall usefulness in this day and age. Each chapter is divided into 2 general sections. The first section is a summary of key points about the Bible book like author, date, and major themes. The second section is a collection of questions people might raise about potential conflicts or inaccuracies in the specific Bible boo. That section seemed useful,.but the section summarizing key elements of the Bible book can be found in a good reference/study Bible. That means you'd have all that information at your fingertips without having to carry along an extra book.
on February 2, 2016
This is great book for those of us who know nothing or very little about the New Testament. It's a brief summary of all the books of the New Testament to give you a good background and main points of each book. From there you can go on to deeper reading. I love this author's work. I bought it used for very little money, but gained a wealth of knowledge.
on July 12, 2013
Excellent book. Very informative for anyone looking for an overall view of the New Testament. Also a lot of info helpful in memorizing the content of each book,. I highly recommend this book. Diane Isaac
on August 12, 2015
I have been pleased to add this to our library. The survey gives the usual thrust of each book of the NT and other interesting tidbits. I have always enjoyed this particular author and his Christ-o-centric approach.
on June 24, 2009
This book is very well written. The one thing I really like is that you can tell that it is a 21st century book. It grabs the essence of the books of the Bible and gets to the point quickly instead of pages and pages of trying to get to the point. A good read for laity, students and teachers.
on February 26, 2015
This is fantastic and easy to read. Has great spiritual depth and addresses most challenges as well as supplying alternative viewpoints where they apply. Though deeply theological, it reads like cookies on a low shelf so anyone can reach them and enjoy
on May 20, 2016
OUTSTANDING and a MUST have for ANY serious bible student, believer, preacher, teacher, pastor, seeker etc... I would also suggest purchasing the companion "Popular Survey of The Old Testament" as the precursor that completes the Meta-Narrative survey of the bible!!! I Love how Dr. Geisler lays out the biblical/scriptural framework that reveals the centrality of Christ in ALL of scripture. It is HISstory from beginning to end!!!
on April 13, 2015
Great resource for studying the Bible. Gives you history and research on how we arrived at certain conclusions, answers question that are needed. This will help any student get a better grasp of understanding why you believe what you believe in order to support what you believe
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 8, 2009
I must admit that Geisler has done a rather good job in distilling the New Testament simple enough for the average Bible reader. His highlight of themes gives a clear overview of the emphases of each book. I especially appreciate the compare/contrast format that Geisler uses to demarcate both differences as well as similarities of each book. His use of alliteration, memory keys and various pedagogical tools within the book gives a very useful framework for us to hang on to.

Having said that, there are some things I feel less than desirable.

1) Personally, I like his Christ-centered focus of the whole Bible. My question is, whether that truly reflects the intention of the original authors? While I am all for Christ being the entire focus, in inductive Bible study, we need to let the Bible speak for itself, to avoid putting words into the Bible.

2) His mnemonics chosen is too sleek for my personal liking. I feel he has overdone it.

3) Some of the themes he highlights, while memorable may appear to unfairly straitjacket the Bible. The Bible often has more than one theme.

In summary, I must say I enjoyed Geisler's book. It makes a good introductory book to help educate the ordinary Church member who does not know much about the New Testament apart from choice verses. It also makes a helpful reference texts when we deal with controversial verses in the Bible. However, for the serious student, it will be better that this book be only an accompanying supplement to other reference books and commentaries. My rating: 3 out of 5 stars.

conrade