Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis dm3 Shop Now toystl17_gno_dm3

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5 reviews
on June 3, 2015
Very readable, but looots of errors even outside of their issued corrections. It makes it difficult to trust formulas.
on October 14, 2009
Thanks so much for this book! I have been studying population genetics for about 2 years now and was still confused on some of the concepts. Thanks to Dr. Hamilton's book "Population Genetics", I have finally been able to make sense of some complex topics. The book completes examples, puts in the little details often overlooked in other text books, and explains how to interpret genetics data using free simulation software.
on August 11, 2014
great
on December 21, 2013
This is a 375 page text book written in 2009 about population genetics. I read it for interest, not as part of a college course. The author has made a terrific effort to summarize the latest understanding of this field. He structures each chapter logically. He defines all of his terms and he uses side boxes to augment the text. Several sections have runs of clarity in prose, while in other sections the author relies more on the language of math to convey the concepts. For me the math was not too complex but if you need help he offers lessons in the appendix. He also gives many math exercises which I did not do, as I was reading only for concepts. I am not sure if the added effort to do the math homework assignments would have helped the reader/student to understand much more. I feel that if you were to dwell too closely on the math you might lose the whole picture.
I read the book because I had several questions that needed deeper answers. For the most part I got those answers. As I read some chapters, I sometimes got bogged down and the reading got tough. The topic of coalescence theory was new to me and I now have several questions about what it means that were not answered in this text.
I love science, theory, and thinking. So I liked this book. I feel like we are in the middle of a field that is waiting for more answers and more clarity. Sometimes I suspect that the math is wrong. I expect this field of study like applied genetics to grow. I believe we are midway to a classic field with a classic textbook. The exchange of teacher and students will help.
I have studied other fields of science and here is what really makes a great author: You must ask in each chapter, “Why is this interesting?” I don’t blame the author; I think it is the field itself that needs to generate clarity.
My friend is worried about the possible ethical abuse in the field of population genetics. I told him I might work on the set of good ethical principles too, if anything like that is written yet.