- File Size: 985 KB
- Print Length: 43 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Insomn Studios (June 15, 2014)
- Publication Date: June 15, 2014
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00L1R3Q6G
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,331,148 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$6.00|
Save $5.01 (84%)
Population of Loss: Four Tales of the Martian War (Martian War Chronicles Book 1) Kindle Edition
|Length: 43 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $0.00
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
- Similar books to Population of Loss: Four Tales of the Martian War (Martian War Chronicles Book 1)
Browse award-winning titles. See more
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
This book reads like a collection of short stories centered around the theme of the Martian invasion of the Earth as read in War of the Worlds. I explained it to my wife as a mash-up of classical sci-fi/fantasy stories that greatly focus on the human experience rather than the fantastical events. It's sort of like getting into the head of one of the supporting characters of a classical sci-fi/fantasy novel and venturing off into a side story. I think the author did a very good job of tying together seemingly disparate stories, with a dash of Judeo-Christian lore, into a common world as if this were a possible alternate reality.
I struggle to put into words what I mean when I say "I love the language", because enjoyment of this nature is something that I feel, but can't quite pinpoint define. Word choice and sentence structure is expertly devised and had me captured in the story. Written elegantly, the words flow into each other and smoothly paint a narrative leaving your mind free to imagine and picture and less to wonder what the author was trying to say. This is one of the most crucial aspects to reading fantasy, and it is nailed expertly.
The stories, 4 of them, are perfect representations of what I desire when reading sci fi/fantasy:
Courage and determination of mortal heroes in "In Hoc Signo"
Wonderment when pondering on the fey and their place in historical mythos in "The Lost Boy"
The visceral pleasure of justice in "The Devil to Pay"
Intrigue at conspiracy and greater power in "The Lights Go Out"
We are given an introduction to heroes that I very much look forward to reading more on, and enough attachment to "real world" ideas and concepts that it creates the very necessary illusion of realism that fiction so desperately needs to be great.
To finish off what this book means to me, I will say it invokes genuinity. From the writing to the imagery, all of it is hand made to deliver to the reader something they feel is important.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
By Michael DiBaggio
Do you like books on Martians or war, then this is the...Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Superheroes
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Steampunk
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > One hour (33-43 pages) > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > One hour (33-43 pages) > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Superhero
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Steampunk