Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Porcelain Medium Base Socket Extender
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Size: 1 Pack|Change
Price:$5.25+ Free shipping

on December 11, 2010
This simple device allows us to use modern CFL Floodlight bulbs in standard recessed lighting cans.

Our latest "Project Foreclosure" had a set of 3 recessed lights on a dimmer switch in the family room. I wasn't able to find dimmable CFL floodlights that fit into the existing fixtures. The problem was that the wide base of the CFL did not fit inside of the existing lighting fixtures, which were designed to accommodate a narrow neck of an incandescent floodlight bulb. I wanted to use efficient bulbs, but didn't have a desire to replace the entire recessed lighting fixture to accommodate the modern CFL.

This socket extender allows us to use the bulbs we want with the existing fixtures. It is safe, has a good tight fit, and allowed us to use efficient bulbs in places where we would have otherwise had to replace an entire fixture.
on October 30, 2010
We are a 55+ community, and the recessed lights the builder used in our clubhouse are very deep such that they restrict the flood of light. We have used these successfully (sometime two in a fixture) to improve the lighting, in many cases without having to increase the bulb wattage. All our residents are are thankful.
on March 26, 2013
I never thought I would be writing a review for an item such as this. Since there's a safety issue involved, I thought I should.

It's getting harder and harder to find items such as this that aren't imported and made of cheap lightweight plastic. How they pass UL is a mystery to me. The last three 2 way socket adapters I bought at Lowes started arcing about a month after purchasing. I had to throw them away. Money wasted.

The item sold here is of heavy porcelain. It appears to be very well constructed. Even the thread is well secured to the neck and will not budge. Under proper conditions, I see no reason why this product wouldn't work well for two hundred years.
on November 4, 2013
The ceramic portion of the item was broken into a handful of pieces large and small . Probably would work fine if it arrived in one piece; it was the ceramic insulation that broke.
review image
on May 10, 2013
NOW I got what I needed. Guess I just didn't look far enough.

This gadget extends the base of my flourescent bulb far enough to fit into the lamp, finally.

Good deal, good price, good quality.
on January 10, 2013
Trying to fit large CFL reflectors (120-W equivalent) into older ceiling fixtures sometimes doesn't work if the bulb is too wide. This item solved my problem! Construction seems very sturdy and high quality. Since it is is porcelain, it is less likely to deteriorate over time than the plastic socket extenders.
I have been switching out more of our CFL's with LED bulbs, and ran into a problem with ceiling fan light fixtures. The bulbs were too wide for the narrow part of the fixture near the base, and too much of the light never made it out of the fixture. These extenders were perfect. FYI-these are for medium base bulbs, the most common type in any home. The others are the mogul (giant base, often found in older floor lamps) and candelabra (common in chandeliers).

===The Good Stuff===

* They extended the bulb length about an inch, which is perfect for my application.

* They are made of a ceramic base, which is much safer than plastic because of its resistance to melting and combustion. The threads screwed right into the base, and the bulbs fit with no problem.

* The sockets made good contact with only a very moderate hand tightening.

* While the Amazon cart seems to hint at a week to 10 day delivery, I ordered then on Thursday and they were in Monday's mail, shipped 1st class.

===The Not So Good Stuff===

* The base of the socket is non-glazed ceramic, which is, IMHO, one of the most annoying substances in the world. I hate even touching it-sort of like nails on a chalkboard. This is, of course, minor since you barely need to touch the socket, and then only during the bulb installation. Still, I hate the stuff.

===Overall===

Good product, works as advertised, well made, excellent shipping/order handling from Saturn.
on March 5, 2015
I ordered 2 of these for LED flood lights to replace incandescent floods. The socket extenders work as described. I wish they were a bit shorter--now my LEDs are not as short in their base as I would like. I'll try a shorter extender next time--none-the-less, I am satisfied. I have 3 more LED flood lights to install. I'll need 3 more base extenders. I recommend this product!
on October 27, 2013
I have recently purchased a FEIT R30 LED bulb for my 20 year old Lightolier track lights. The track lights have a styled design which tapers down significantly at the neck. I was surprised that the new LED bulb had a shorter neck than a standard bulb and nothing I could do would enable it to screw in sufficiently to make contact. (I don't know how the designers missed that.)

This extender is an easy solution, and the fact that it is ceramic means that it should be very durable and withstand heat (although the new energy efficient bulbs are significantly cooler).

Unfortunately, using any extender automatically automatically adds over an inch to the length of the bulb when I only needed about 1/4, so now the bulb sticks out almost 3/4 of an inch past the edge of the fixture which isn't great. However, that's an inherent problem with any extender so I didn't downgrade it.
on August 28, 2010
It has been comfortably sitting in an outdoor socket for about a year now, and shows no signs of degradation or problems. It was just long enough that our blub can now clear a strangely narrow mount. Pretty much what you'd want.