Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on March 2, 2017
I have done two 4-5 day backpacking trips in the Porkies using this guide and it definitely came in handy. The maps are clear and accurate and the information valuable. We didn't see any moose, but did see fresh bear tracks on the trail near Trap Falls. I Wouldn't hike in the Porkies without this!
on January 3, 2011
Although it's the only guide written for Michigan's largest state Park, it gives you everything you need.
DuFresne knows Michigan and thoroughly covers the Porkies. The guide is detailed and informative with topo maps of all the trails as well as access points, difficulty, hiking time and mileage break-downs along every trail. Though geared towards hikers and backpackers, it also covers winter activities and fishing.
I really like how he breaks down all the trails extensively and also gives you plenty of options depending on what length of a trek you're looking for-from a day hike up to a 6-day excursion.
This is the 3rd book of his I've bought and I'd buy anything the guy has to sell- great book.
2 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on September 13, 2013
Great reference, though I do recommend printing an additional map. A must have if you are going to see the porkies!
on March 11, 2014
I had been camping in the Porkies a few times and this book helped me plan so many more adventures. Great descriptions of all the shelters and of what to see in different parts of the park.
on October 9, 2014
Very handy guide. A elevation guide would be useful as the ups and downs mace a difference on trail selection.
review image
on May 25, 2013
Good descriptions and maps of the Porkies. All essential info is covered. A large scale map would be great & this would be perfect.
on August 14, 2013
Some trail directions were not as accurate as they could have been. We used the book along with the trail map supplied by the state park
on January 17, 2012
Great trail descriptions. Even the people at the park office were looking at my copy.
We stayed in the yurts on our first trip so we greatly appreciated these descriptions.
on October 12, 2009
I bought this book to help plan a hiking trip into the Porcupine Wilderness State park. It gives an excellent description of the park. Good resource!
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 18, 2014
It is pretty informative about the park, but sometimes critical details were left out. The State of Michigan does not run this park very well, so get as much information as you can before you go, and get there very early if you have a reservation.